Mar 19, 2021
rhode island
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Moved from here.
hello boys!!! been a long time reader and this is my first time posting! sorry for bumping an old thread but after dealing with pentair warranty department for over a year and finally winning the argument i have been searching for a way to hopefully limit my contact with them for as long as possible.
so after searching and reading for about 2 weeks i think this is the answer to my problem. for reasons unbeknowst to me (or pentair) my motherboard had to be replaced this winter. now i have narrowed the cause of the low voltage line failure down to my indoor control panel being hard wired to my j20 connector and somehow having a surge on it back to panel.
So my question is to wire this RS485 surge protector to my line to panel do i need 2? I've looked for a 4 wire version but found none. And it looks like Jim R and ogden have some experience with them> any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

Welcome to TFP.

RS-485 is only 2 wires. The other 2 wires on the Pentair connector are for power. To protect the RS-485 chip you connect the surge suppressor to the yellow and green wire contacts.

That surge protector only protects the two RS-485 data lines.

gotcha thanks for the quick reply and help!!! just ordered one for data lines!! Should i look at all for protection on the +15vdc line? i had a rough year dealing with pentair and after basically having to walk them thru the events leading to board failure with a digital multimeter and reading this post
Pentair 520712 Motherboard Com Port Burns Out
i know how fragile the low voltage ports are. and while i had no power outage something still affected the board. ii am 99.999% sure it was a result of having a actual physical line from inside control panel to outside panel where the pumps and filters are. So i apologize now for the persistence and annoying questions but i want to be as prudent as possible with the connection that took basically the whole system down without a single observable reason. What are your thoughts on this?
Oh and worth mentioning already running an inline RJ45 surge protector between cable modem and router as well as one between switch and screen logic protocol adapter. haha i know might be over kill but again after finding out they don't sell screen logic2 systems for under 500$ annnnddd a new panel is prob cheaper than buying and installing new mother board id rather over do it hahaha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.