Pentair Mastertemp not switching between Spa and Pool mode automatically through easytouch/app

BigMacOC

Feb 28, 2021
Santa Ana, CA
Hi everyone, first post here. We got our pool installed last September. Pentair setup with Easytouch 4 and Mastertemp 300. Ever since it was new we've had to walk to the pool heater and hit the spa mode or pool mode button manually when we turn on the heater from the app or the easytouch panel. Even though we are turning on the spa valve or the pool valve. it just doesn't automatically recognize which valve we are turning on and auto turns on that mode. We can adjust the temp and turn off the heater just fine through the app. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

This setup works differently than you think. The EasyTouch fully controls the MasterTemp. Once set up, you never need to touch the heater.

Inside the heater there's a factory-installed jumper called the Fireman's Switch. I guess the name dates back to allowing firefighters a quick way to turn off ignition sources. The jumper should be removed and the two connectors that were being jumped should be wired by 2-conductor cable to the Heater terminal inside the ET. This allows the ET to turn the MT on and off.

The MT should be set to Spa mode and maximum temperature, probably 104°F, and left like that and never touched again. You will set the desired Pool and Spa temperatures in the ET. The ET should have a water temperature sensor wired in, and it will turn the heater on and off as needed.

Make sense? If not, write back with further questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Welcome to TFP!

This setup works differently than you think. The EasyTouch fully controls the MasterTemp. Once set up, you never need to touch the heater.

Inside the heater there's a factory-installed jumper called the Fireman's Switch. I guess the name dates back to allowing firefighters a quick way to turn off ignition sources. The jumper should be removed and the two connectors that were being jumped should be wired by 2-conductor cable to the Heater terminal inside the ET. This allows the ET to turn the MT on and off.

The MT should be set to Spa mode and maximum temperature, probably 104°F, and left like that and never touched again. You will set the desired Pool and Spa temperatures in the ET. The ET should have a water temperature sensor wired in, and it will turn the heater on and off as needed.

Make sense? If not, write back with further questions.
I have this problem too. The explanation makes perfect sense…just not sure how to fix/remove this jumper. Any manuals or reference video how to check this? Or is this something I need to leave to the service tech?

I have this problem too. The explanation makes perfect sense…just not sure how to fix/remove this jumper. Any manuals or reference video how to check this? Or is this something I need to leave to the service tech?
Yes, there are manuals. The MasterTemp manual shows how to connect the fireman's switch. You will need some 2-conductor cable to connect it to your automation system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.