Pentair KK Legend Wall Adapter thread stuck in wall plumbing

PoolFunnSun

Jul 8, 2020
Newark, CA
Hi everyone,

I noticed there was water leaking from the wall connection for my Pentair kreepy krauly legend pressure side pool cleaner. I tried to remove the wall connection adapter to inspect but it's so old and brittle it snapped off when i tried turning it, and part of the threaded portion of the adapter is still stuck in the wall.🤪

Below are pictures of the broken wall adapter and the pool wall where the threaded portion is stuck.

I have an interior pipe wrench set that i tried to use, but the metal teeth just break plastic away in small pieces rather than gripping and turning.

I tried a vise grip with whatever plastic is sticking out, no luck. Just breaks the plastic. Same with regular pliers. I also tried tapping a flat head screw driver at an angle but that also breaks the plastic away.

Is there a method to remove this without just hammering at it to break it apart inside the plumbing? I'm worried if I have to hammer it out with a flathead screwdriver that I may damage or put a hole in the plumbing.

Thanks!! 🍻🙏

IMG_20201021_171327.jpgIMG_20201021_171135.jpg

No i wasn't able to remove it yet.. Waiting on pool repair company to call me as i don't want to damage underground pipe and prefer they pull it out if i can't figure it out.

I may have to use a small hacksaw to slowly cut in pieces 🤷🏽‍♂️ might be the route i go.

It's broken inside the underground pipe that it screws into the wall

I had the same problem earlier this year, and a mini-hacksaw was indeed the solution. It allowed me to get the connector out in a few big pieces rather than many crumbly bits.

Reactions: PoolFunnSun
Hi all,

Want to follow up with an update in hopes that i can help someone else and save them money. The pool repair company came by and was able to remove it in under one minute, but it cost $170. I think it was worth the cost because I didn't want to damage the threads of the underground plumbing going into the wall and sometimes a professionals experience is worth the money.

I failed trying to use a internal pipe wrench, but the repairman used a riser extractor. do a Google images search of the two and you'll see the difference between them even though they function similarly by gripping inside the pipe to turn it. Hammer the extractor in with a mallet so that it has a tight fit and use a wrench to turn the extractor. Don't be too aggressive hammering. You just need the extractor to have a good grip.

I drained the pool to just below the broken thread for the repair man yesterday. I think this played a huge role because i think that the water was behaving almost like a lubricant and I think if I tried to use my internal pipe wrench with the water drained I would have likely had much better luck. The plastic had overnight to dry out.

Either way it's fixed. Thank you for everyone's input. Much appreciated 🙏

Now i have to balance this water again 🤪

Happy Halloween all! 🎃

Nicely done, I actually do that a lot... it is worth it to me to learn how to do something correctly the first time and then I can accomplish the task next :)

Reactions: PoolFunnSun
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.