Pentair Intellipro variable 8 speed pool pump

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Our pool equipment is over 20 years old. Since the end of June this year, the pump will stop running even though the timer says that it is on. We would reset the breaker, etc. to try to restart it and it would not restart. After a few hours, we were able to restart it. This does not happen every day but had been happening a few times each week. We called a pool company to diagnose the problem. He said that the pump is overheating and will turn itself off. It will quit working eventually. So we ordered a new pump. According to him, California will now only allow installation of a variable pump. So he said that he would order a Pentair Intellipro variable 8 speed pool pump which would cost around $3,100 after installation, new parts, etc. I tried to google the pump that he ordered but could not find it online. Does anyone know anything about this pump? Is the price reasonable?

Our pool is 27,000 gal with a solar heating panel. Last year, they replaced the booster pump because it quit. He did not explain why we need this 8 speed variable pump. Aren't there other speeds in variable pumps? Do you guys have any recommendations for a variable pump replacement in California?

Thanks.

Intellipro is the trade version of an Intelliflo VS pump. Search 011028. That is the model number you want.

There are cheaper VS pumps. But they are more DIY install. If you have professional install, Pentair is a quality pump.

Price is high, but you live in No Cal and may need some plumbing/electrical modifications.

Here is a link to the Intellipro VS+ SVRS.

I dont know why anyone would need 8 programmable speeds anyway and the SVRS... well it aint all its cracked up to be.

IMO, teh Intelliflo model 011018 is a better choice. The Intelliflo has 4 programmable speeds. I would go so far as to say the intellflo has been the cadillac of VS pumps for several years now. I have one and I absolutely love it, and it has lots of cool features. More than I need if truth be told.

3100 dollars for a pool pump installed is insane to me. You can buy an intelliflo on line for around 1000, and its a very easy DIY installation. In store retail is more like1400 ish and it would take probably 3 hours or less to install it. Throw in another 50 in supplies like conduit, fittings etc

And I will go so far as to say that your pool guy is probably a Pentair dealer and gets the pump at wholesale or dealer price.

And if your pool guy didnt tell you, there is probably a healthy rebate available from your electricity provider if you install one.

If you were happy with teh performance of your 1.5 HP pump, The VS pump is also available in 1.5 HP and would be less investment in either the Intelliflo or Intellipro.

Last edited:

The price is way too high. Get other quotes. The above sites show available rebates and links to qualified contractors.

If you have automation, get a pump from the same manufacturer.

You should be able to get a pump installed for no more than $1,500. Then, you get about $350 in rebates.

What solar controller do you have?

Last edited:
Yikes! $3 grand. We had a large commercial fountain (same issue/Calif single speed pump & motor were cooked but we wanted to adjust fountain speed on windy days too), installation of Intelliflo with PVC plumbing adjustments and they ran new copper wiring to the panel and new conduit for $1800 (edit: was $1946.12 w/tax). Had the bulkhead PVC connectors installed (instead of threaded for easier leak and swap contingencies) on my recommendation and they did it with no change to the bid. They were a Hayward-preferred installer/pool co. This was maybe 1 year ago, but things haven’t changed much. Get more bids.
Dave mentioned the Pentair Superflo VS, and would be fine with the 1.5hp, and is on sale for $702 on Amazon, or the 3hp ‘Cadillac’ 011018/28 Intelliflo for $1150ish. I’d buy that and find a pool guy to install if you’re not comfortable with a DIY install. I understand the warranty issue, but at $3000 you could almost buy 2.

Send a pic of your equipment pad and we can eyeball plumbing challenges.

Thanks everyone. It is someone from a local reputable pool company who came out and told me the above. At the time, my other half was not here. Devin Dave is correct, that pool guy did have a patch on his sleeve that says Pentair. I asked about a cheaper pump and he was there was not any. I asked why we need 8 speeds and he said that that way they can program in the speeds for different functions. Do they have to do the programming or can we do it ourselves?

So I just sent them an email to cancel the order. I thought the price was kinda high. I also sent them another email to request a refund of the fees that they charged for the visit. I feel that he was trying to rip me off and con me in buying the more expensive pump. Plus, when I was googling the pump, I came across some rebate but I was not paying attention. So he did not even tell me about them.

We are not planning on replacing the pump ourselves. I prefer hiring a company to do the job professionally. They came out for the past 2 years for other jobs and they were reasonable. There is a smaller pool company whose mechanic is really good and conservative with costs. But he does not do solar and that's why I hired this other bigger company. I will call him next week.

To JamesW: The solar controller is a Compool LX-220 Solar Control. It is OLD. The pool was built in either 1994 or 1995.

Back to the pump turning itself off issue, does that sound like the pump is going out?

Back to the pump turning itself off issue, does that sound like the pump is going out?

Yes. Sounds a lot like a thermal limit switch. The electric motor is overheating and there’s a thermal limit switch that cuts the power until the temperature comes down. If you put your hand on the motor casing you should be able to feel a warm motor but it should not burn your hand. If you put your hand on the casing and you can’t hold it there without burning yourself, then the motor is getting too hot.

The pump is dying. It will eventually fail and not come on at all. Time to replace it.

You should get a solar controller that can also change the pump speed when solar is activated. That way, you can run on low speed until solar is activated and the pump will speed up to the correct speed for the solar. Then, the speed would drop back down when solar is off.

You should be able to find a professional who can do the work for a reasonable price.

Yes. Sounds a lot like a thermal limit switch. The electric motor is overheating and there’s a thermal limit switch that cuts the power until the temperature comes down. If you put your hand on the motor casing you should be able to feel a warm motor but it should not burn your hand. If you put your hand on the casing and you can’t hold it there without burning yourself, then the motor is getting too hot.

The pump is dying. It will eventually fail and not come on at all. Time to replace it.
Good to know that at least he was not trying to get us to buy a new pump for no reason. Thanks.

You should get a solar controller that can also change the pump speed when solar is activated. That way, you can run on low speed until solar is activated and the pump will speed up to the correct speed for the solar. Then, the speed would drop back down when solar is off.

You should be able to find a professional who can do the work for a reasonable price.
He said that they can program the 8 speed variable pump to do that and more.... Is that true?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's no way to program the pump to know when the solar is activated.

The solar controller needs to tell the pump when to change speed.

You can program the pump to run at solar speed during the time that solar might be active, but that might or might not be efficient depending on how accurate that is.

There's no way to program the pump to know when the solar is activated.

The solar controller needs to tell the pump when to change speed.

You can program the pump to run at solar speed during the time that solar might be active, but that might or might not be efficient depending on how accurate that is.
So that guy is full of stuff again. I am so glad I belong to this forum. You guys are just amazing with your knowledge. Thanks again to all your responses. I will keep you posted how things turn out. Meanwhile, please keep posting your comments. I welcome them all.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Divin Dave
Not certain, but I think the Intelliflo pump has built-in timers so you could conceivably program it to coincide with your solar system. Just need to keep your clocks synchronized.
Not a very reliable programming method, but it could work.
That said, $3100 could probably buy you the pump and an automation system to tie all your stuff together. Do you currently have a system?
The Pentair Intelliconnect is an intriguing product that lets you monitor and program the Intelliflo in real time. It should make the 8 programmable speeds irrelevant, as you should be able to set any arbitrary speed/flowrate using your smartphone via the Intelliconnect. Only two relays, so may not be suitable for your needs, but would probably work for smaller, simpler pools.

After sending the email to cancel the order for the $3,100+ pump, I also called to ask for a refund of the home visit fee. A manager called me back yesterday and was very apologetic about the situation. As it turned out, she herself did not understand why the pump would cost $3,100+. After investigating, she found out that the technician did not understand the pricing structure of the pumps they sell and install. The pump price is actually $2300+ and it includes labor & parts. He made a mistake of adding more labor & parts costs to the $2300. She felt bad that the technician also did not explain the whole process of the pump replacement so she sent a senior technician here today.

He explained that in order to install the $2300 8 speed 3 HP pump, they will have to reconfigure part of the pool equipment. In order to use the variable pump efficiently, the solar controller has to be replaced, the timer & the booster pump (only 1 year old) will have to be removed, etc. That will bring the cost back up to the $3000 range. That makes more sense than the first quote. But we only want a 2-speed pump just as peterl1365 suggested since California does not allow the installation of a single speed pump. He said that even so, we can only run the pump on 1 speed (high) without upgrading some of the other equipment. Such a waste......

As explained to me today, this pool company usually does not deal with non-commercial pumps. That was why that first technician quoted me the price for the 8- speed Intellipro pump and they do not have anything cheaper. That guy also did not tell me how they are going to install the 8-speed Intellipro pump.

So now we are looking for another pool company who can install either a 2-speed pump or a 1.5 HP variable pump.

You should get an Intelliflo pump with a Solartouch controller. Parts and labor should be under $2,000.

Note that the Intelliflo and the Intellipro are basically the same pump. They both have 8 programmable speeds.

The speeds can be set to whatever rpm you want.

However, most people don't need more than two speeds. Low for normal filtering and high for solar, gas or other equipment as needed.

Programming 8 speeds is really not necessary or helpful in most cases.

Some people might want 8 speeds if they have a complex system with heaters, fountains, deck jets, etc that all take different flows.

In any case, the speeds are there if you want them.

Last edited:
But we only want a 2-speed pump just as peterl1365 suggested since California does not allow the installation of a single speed pump. He said that even so, we can only run the pump on 1 speed (high) without upgrading some of the other equipment. Such a waste......

Not sure if you're still shopping, but it should be trivial to install a 2-speed pump. While I have never had a 2-speed pump, it was extremely common before the advent of variable speed pumps and any decent pool guy should be able to install it with maybe a hundred bucks worth of parts. Essentially, it would be a relay that would switch the wires connecting the pump to the power source. A two speed motor has two different winding configurations, and the speed is just a matter of how the power is applied to those windings.

Some people might want 8 speeds if they have a complex system with heaters, fountains, deck jets, etc that all take different flows.

FWIW, I have a 4-speed Intelliflo pump and I only use 3 settings. Low speed for filtering, high speed for skimming (about an hour a day), and medium speed for vacuuming (about an hour a day). While I like the adjustability that I have, a 2-speed would also adequately serve my needs if that was all I had.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.