Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump Problems

CAH2873

May 27, 2019
East Texas
Hello, I am new to the forum and in need of some assistance on my Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump. Let me give you a some details.

The pool was installed 7 years ago with Pentair products. It is equipped with teh main Pentair control panel, variable speed pump, booster pump for the Kreepy Krawler, a pump for the turbo twister slide, the Pentair filter catridge system, and a salt cell generator. It has worked flawlessly for this whole time.

The other morning after a thunderstorm, the main variable speed pump would not come on. Unfortunately we were out of town at the time that is happened and was told about from one of my sons. My son called around trying to get someone to look at it but they are 2-3 weeks out on service calls. I have since returned and started trying to figure out the problem. I have checked all of the breakers to it. It is getting power from the main control panel down to the pump however there is nothing on the flip back display on the top side of the pump. I see where I can purchase the drive assembly Part #353251 for around $615.00 and the whole pump with the drive assembly Part #011018 for around $1,000.00.

Is there anyway to check the drive assembly to see if this is the problem?
Or would it be better to buy a whole new unit considering the age of 7 years old?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. This summer heat is doing a number of the water. It is now going on 10 days from when the pump went out.

Thanks,

CAH2873

Also, start adding liquid chlorine. Add to SLAM level based on your CYA - see FC/CYA Levels. Use a brush, sump pump, or swimmers to get well mixed in. Do it daily.

Sounds like a lightening strike zapped it. You should install a surge protective device (SPD) at the control panel. It will use up two breaker slots but it will protect your equipment against power surges. They cost around $100 and are cheap compared to the cost of a new pump. The SquareD ones can be found on Amazon.

If the panel is not coming on and you feel like you’ve exhausted every check, then I’d say the drive is fried. You could call in service and pay the labor/service charge to see if they have any better ideas but your pool is going to go real green in the mean time without a functioning pump. . While you could mess around installing a new drive, I personally would just go with a new pump at this point (then again, dropping $1,000 is not a big deal for me at the moment). The newer IntelliFlo pumps have the same wet end as your current pump but more features. So it should be a fairly simple plug & go swap if you decide to get a new one.

I can't think of anything that would cause the Display on the pump to be blank... except the 240 volts not being there or the drive being bad..

I would assume a bad drive, but just to make sure... when you measured the voltage input to the pump, you measured between L1 and L2 right at the pump with a volt meter.. NOT, L1 to ground and then L2 to ground or using a voltage detector "light"... Correct???

I personally would not replace the drive on a 7 year old pump... Keep in mind that the newer pumps (Not 011018) have rotatable control heads..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just to verify, I unhooked the pump for the control board and wire it in directly to a breaker and still no power. I have since removed the pump and have it in the back of the truck until the pool place opens up tomorrow.

Would you purchase the same pump Part #011018 since all of the plumbing is the same?

Or would you purchase a new model pump? If so, which one?

Thanks,

CAH2873

I would purchase the newer model that has the rotatable display. There are also flow control models that allow you to set a flow rate set-point. DO NOT GET THE SVRS (safety vacuum release system) MODEL.

All IntelliFlo and WhisperFlo Pentair pumps use the same wet end design. So there should be no plumbing work necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.