Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Drive/Control Panel Issues

Nov 5, 2009
Orlando, FL
Well ... long story short, I have a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump that was working great until just recently. From my understanding the pump was installed sometime last year by the previous home owner, pump has manufacture date of May 2014, controller says 08/04/2015.

The pump would work perfectly fine one day, and the next it would say "ERROR ERROR Power Failure" ... I read online and tried all the suggestions to hold all buttons and reset, but unfortunately none of which worked. It's now completely stopped running and constantly displaying that error.

I used to be an electrician so I tested and there's a solid 240 going to the controller, event disassembled the controller and can easily read 240 on the PCB as far as i'm able to trace it.

When I opened up the controller I was surprised to find a little bit of water, and the clear smell of burnt electronics, which in my opinion, is Pentair's fault and responsibility, but of course once I called them they were very quick to tell me that the original installer did not register the equipment in the first 90 days ... so even though the pump is less than a year old, i'm basically SOL.

Being that it's going to cost $600 just for another controller, and because i've built numerous PCBs in my day, there may just be a way to fix this by replacing a component ... but here in comes the issue, I can't find any information online about these controllers (besides programming them), and i'm hoping someone out there can help me out.

So the manual says that the power failure error is because it detects that less than 170v is being supplied to the controller.

My first question is, I noticed the wiring diagram for EU at 120v ... does that mean the pump could be ran at 120 or 240? I would like to put it on 120 to see if that changes the error message, but not sure what these pumps actually support.

Second question, does anybody have any experience at all in troubleshooting, reverse engineering, or disassembling these controllers? Any information would be helpful as all I can find is the standard pump manual online.

It looks like they built the controller so the capacitors are sealed to the housing to act as a heat sink to dissipate heat from the components.

Any help, suggestions, or comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

IMG_20160520_135104.png

I wish I could help, I bet once pentair see's this they wish they had just replaced it :)

I wonder if the moisture got in there and if dried out it may work again... I doubt it but maybe

Yeah i've already dried it out and made sure everything is dry no problems. Checked the box for the pump and sure enough the date on it is 08/2015 .... so first that makes me wonder if Pentair is selling pumps with old motors, as the motor is def over a year older than the controller.

Like I said though, i'm completely baffled that they leave the controller PCB completely unsealed ... let me put it this way, at my old house I had a marathon electric impower variable speed pool pump, and they were smart enough to cover all components in conformal coating ... so a cheaper pool pump, IMO is better quality because they obviously care about protecting parts ... not leaving them vulnerable just so they easily go bad and you have to purchase a new one .... so disappointed in you Pentair

The horrible part about all this as well, is that it says on their website the pump is still under warranty ... that is of course, only if it's registered in the first 60 or 90 days or whatever ... what a horrible way to do business!

pentair_warranty.jpg

Andddddd..... just to make matters even worse now, I purchased a second controller, installed it and it worked great for a week or two ... then last night I came home, turned off the power to the pool pump, came back out, turned it on, made a loud thump ... and now the controller will no longer turn on ... AT ALL.

Opened up the controller, and SURE ENOUGH somehow water was able to get inside this one! UGGGGGHHHHH!!!! Worst part is, I made sure all screws were tight, seals were lubed and put on correctly, even moved pump so it was underneath an overhang so it would not have rain directly falling on it .... even put conformal coating on it, and with my luck the water just must have found two small spots where the power leads come in, and somehow shorted out ... man I just can't win with this pump! So now i'm down two controllers and literally it makes me want to cry.

Worst part is ... I ordered the cover from Amazon to go over the housing but it didn't arrive in time!!! Luck is just not on my side with this pump :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.