Pentair intelliflo, squealing noise at speeds 3 and 4

Open it up and check the diffuser gasket. There are multiple videos on YouTube that show how to take it apart and what to expect. The Whisperflo is the same except for the motor. So, you can watch a video of the Whisperflo as well.

Basically, just remove the 6 outer bolts and pull back the motor and drive assembly.

Do not remove the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the seal plate.

Open it up and check the diffuser gasket. There are multiple videos on YouTube that show how to take it apart and what to expect. The Whisperflo is the same except for the motor. So, you can watch a video of the Whisperflo as well.

Basically, just remove the 6 outer bolts and pull back the motor and drive assembly.

Do not remove the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the seal plate.

So I won't be able to check on this without taking something apart? That explains why I couldn't fine anything before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, no noise with the filter cartridge removed?

Does the line from the pump go into the filter Inlet?

Yes, it’s not backwards unfortunately.

As stated in an earlier post, this filter has a max flow rating of 70 GPM.

From the brochure for the Intelliflo, that is right around what the pump makes at speed 2, which is coincidentally when the noise starts

Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420.

Note: At this point, we are not completely sure what is causing the noise.

James, the same noise arises at virtually any speed if I shut the valves on my return lines.

Based off of the troubleshooting I’m doing, I’m 100% confident that the issue is that the filter isn’t allowing enough flow. Especially with the fact that after a couple weeks as the filter was getting dirty, the noise started at lower and lower speeds

Jim,

It this were my pool, I would just run the pump at a speed where it makes no noise... and not buy a new filter, at least for now.. 90% of the time I run my pool at 1200 RPM and it works great. You know you can set the speeds to what you want, you don't have to use the default RPM..

I know you have decided it is a filter problem, and it may be... But, there are a ton of other people who have that same pump with relatively small filters and they do not seem to have an issue.

I can't help but wonder if the fact that you have an APG has anything to do with it?? (Grasping at straws here..) Normally the suction side is.. well, sucking... But with an APG you would think it would be under pressure from the water in the pool.. Not sure that would be an issue or not but if this were my pool something I would be looking at..

Is the cartridge in your original filter old?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.