Pentair intelliflo, squealing noise at speeds 3 and 4

Jim,

I can't think of any reason your IntelliFlo should "squeal" ... I also can't think of any reason that you need to run at any high speeds...

I really doubt you have an air leak.. Keep in mind a VS pump at full speed will sound like any other large single speed pump.

Can you isolate where the sounds is coming from. I would assume a bearing issue or maybe the cooling fan blade touching the fan guard.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, the best way I can describe the sound is to inflate a balloon, and then pull the mouth of the balloon open while it deflates.

I took a short video for reference. Also, at the very lowest speed, is that pulsing normal?

Jim,

I think the very low speed noise is normal..

I would not run below 1000 RPMs as you don't gain anything.... That balloon sound is not supposed to be there.. Something is wrong, but I have no idea what..

Let's see if @JamesW, or @mas985, has any ideas..

Sounds like you are pushing too much water through your filter or heater maybe???

Jim R.

Something is definitely wrong. Not sure what. Are all of the valves open?
What does the filter pressure do on each speed?
Maybe the diffuser oring has come loose and is pushed into the space between the housing and the diffuser. Turn off power to the pump at the breaker, remove the pump basket and feel in the hole to see if you can feel the oring protruding into the hole.
Do you have a picture of the system?

Last edited:
I didn’t think to observe the filter pressure at the time...... and now I won’t be home again until later tonight.

The one photo I have is attached. Is it possible that the restriction down to 1.5” piping into the filter and into the heater is just too restrictive for this big pump?

1A44DCF4-F090-4274-B0FC-B016DC54473B.jpeg

As an aside, I realize that the shallow collar fittings aren’t ideal but I used what I had available to me

I've done some labeling in this photo for reference. The heater is bypassed in this specific photo, for no reason other than I haven't hooked the gas back up to it or plugged it in yet after getting it out of the basement from winter..... Circulation first, then heat. Lol

fullsizeoutput_11c4.jpeg

Ok, that makes sense.

Note: The heater does not have a flow switch. So, don't leave it on when in bypass because it can turn on and overheat.

Check for a loose diffuser oring when you get a chance.

Ok, that makes sense.

Note: The heater does not have a flow switch. So, don't leave it on when in bypass because it can turn on and overheat.

Check for a loose diffuser oring when you get a chance.

I'm thinking that now that I have the pump I have I can wire up the "fireman's switch"? Just need to figure out how do do that. Will open the pump basket and check the o-ring this evening when I get home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep an eye on those DWV PVC pipe couplings - they aren't pressure rated. The couplings on the pressure side could burst and the couplings on the suction side could leak (air).

Where is the noise coming from - impeller end? Basket cover? Motor end? Plumbing?

Jim,

Your DWV fittings will work just fine.. The pressure is just not that great.. The real problem is just not gluing them well to begin with.. The shallow depth just does not give you much room for error or slop... :)

Jim R.

I'm thinking that now that I have the pump I have I can wire up the "fireman's switch"? Just need to figure out how do do that. Will open the pump basket and check the o-ring this evening when I get home.
Adding a flow switch and connecting it to the fireman's switch is a good idea to keep the heater from running with no flow.

Ok, I of course didn't read the instructions and last night by the time I got to it it was dark (oh the joys of having a family).... I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some sort of safety catch I was missing before I just went wailing away on the thing

Anyone with any extra help on this? A parts diagram to show exactly what I'm looking for....

Also wondered if my filter might not have a high enough flow rate? I found documentation for my filter that lists a maximum flow rate of 70 GPH..... I would suspect that the pump moves much more than that. Also, the squealing noise is happening at a lower and lower speed now. I plan to perhaps test this tonight by removing the cartridge from the filter housing and seeing if it still happens

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.