Pentair intelliflo died

Sep 2, 2018
Chino hills
Hi all,
So my new pool pump ( installed march 2019) appears to have died. Our neighborhood had a scheduled power outage planned by the power company. I didnt think anything of it. The next day the power turned on and the pool pump didnt come on.

I initially thought that i was doing something wrong and that it needed to be turned on etc. The led panel ( the driver i believe ) appears to be off.

Ive checked the power breakers and nothing was flipped. I contacted the installer and am waiting to hear back.

So now assuming that turning the power back on caused a surge and fried the driver...what are my options? A quick google search shows they appear to be anywhere from $200-500 depending on where you bought it. Is there a difference or is it just markup? I happen to be pretty techy and have built several computers and reassembled other electronics as well. From videos online ot appears that installing the driver is pretty easy. Is this something that i should consider trying or best to leave it to a professional.

Lastly...what could i have done to prevent this? The pump is great and has saved us $40/month in power. Thats all for naught if it burns an expensive part every time theres a power outage.

Thanks in advance

Joel

If you think that the power company is responsible for damaging your pump, file a claim with them to replace your pump.

It's likely that they made a mistake and energized the lines with incorrect power.

If you don't think that it's due to the power company, file a warranty claim with Pentair.

Move the breaker switch all the way off and then back on.

Verify that the pump is receiving the correct voltage by measuring line-to-line.

A surge protector or power quality controller can help protect your devices and record abnormal power outside the correct ranges.

Documented power fluctuations outside acceptable levels creates liability for the power company.

Joel,

I suggest that you just call the installer and tell them that the pump quit working.. I would say nothing else. Pentair will just replace it under warranty..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Pentair is coming out tomorrow to check it out. The installer didnt mention anything about the potential power surge and neither did I. There is a roadsign about power outages and it gives the dates which may not be in my favor but i cant change that. Hoping they dont notice or dont put 2+2 together. We'll see

Reactions: JamesW
Someone needs to put a data logger on the lines to monitor if they are putting the incorrect voltage or frequency on the lines.

If you have the data logged, it makes any claims easier to establish.

Most likely, the power company monitors the line voltage and would probably tell you if you ask for the data. They probably have to provide the data if someone requests it.

So update here. Pentair came out and now the pump works. The company i worked with is going to contact them to find out what was wrong. Im just happy its fixed.

On a different note...is this forum not on tapatalk? Ive looked for it and its not listed when it used to be.

So update here. Pentair came out and now the pump works. The company i worked with is going to contact them to find out what was wrong. Im just happy its fixed.

On a different note...is this forum not on tapatalk? Ive looked for it and its not listed when it used to be.
Good to hear that got fixed. That's the important thing. It would be good to know what was wrong.
Not sure about the tapatalk but @Leebo would know.
Thanks for the update.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.