Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 or ???

aqua mango

Jun 10, 2015
Waikoloa Hawaii
Moved from here...

@Dirk
I've had some experience with this with Pentair. They regularly swap out SWGs with flow switch problems, no questions asked, because they know those flow switches are a very weak link. They've been doing that for many years, instead of finding a better flow switch solution. The 5G light is also very failure prone. LED pool lights in general, across the industry, are notoriously unreliable, yet they still sell 'em for $600 a pop. It's not just Pentair, this is our "everything's disposable" consumer mentality at fault.
We are looking at changing from chlorine to a SWG and I was considering using a pentair due to our other pentair equipment... 280 vacuum and a polaris MSP. After reading about potential electrical issues I am not sure we should use pentair's SWG... Any recommendations for a SWG system? our pool is 22,000 gals only one skimmer, a Polaris multi speed pump, Polaris 280 pressure vacuum with its own pump.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Fletcher, OK
Reactions: Mdragger88

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
A,

I am a huge Pentair fan, but even I would not recommend the IntelliChlor (IC40) unless you have a Pentair automation system..

Without an automation system, I would go with a CircuPool unit, or a Hayward T-15 style unit. Just make sure any SWCG you buy is at least 2 x the volume of your pool. A 20K pool needs a 40K cell.

Thanks,

Jim R.