Pentair IntelliCenter Review and Information

Thanks again myazpool!
I was thinking about the scheduling and just having an overlapping schedule last night after I wrote this. I definitely like the systems when running but again completely with the pentair language translation issues. They could greatly improve their product and people's experience with it by using simple clear language or even just having example program setups for you to learn how to program something.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thanks again myazpool!
I was thinking about the scheduling and just having an overlapping schedule last night after I wrote this. I definitely like the systems when running but again completely with the pentair language translation issues. They could greatly improve their product and people's experience with it by using simple clear language or even just having example program setups for you to learn how to program something.
Superman99
Agree 100%. Sorry to sound like a smart "A", but now that just makes way too much sense. :p Maybe they'll get your simple but excellent "message", but I'm not holding my breath.
All-the-best...
r.

3. Local Access. The ability to access my IntelliCenter Control Panel “locally” when using the Web Application. I have attempted to access my IntelliCenter Control panel locally utilizing both its IP address and using a program that will utilize its mac address from my desktop. I have tried both http: and https: At this time, this capability is a big fat NO GO!

Maybe, there is a work-around but I have yet to find it. And I can access just about every other device I own, that utilizes user-defined configurations, locally (by IP address). And get this. All the while, I CAN access my IntelliCenter control panel locally through the iOS app, (which uses the IP address assigned to the IntelliCenter Control Panel) ??? The iOS app will actually give you the option of accessing it locally or though the Pentair portal. REALLY? Keep in mind that this “local access” capability only exists from the iOS app if you are connected through your local network (WiFi) or if you are utilizing a VPN capability outside of your local network. Pentair, I really think you can do better. Maybe hire an Apple Web Consultant and let them show you how it’s done. C’mon Man!

@MyAZPool Have you been able to make any progress on this?
I am still a way out from having my IntelliCenter installed but advanced control by my Home Automation system is a must for me. I have been searching the internet and found a very interesting and currently active github project:
node.js Pool Controller
This project is using a USB RS485 adapter to talk directly on the communication bus bypassing any network communications all together.
A user raised a request to support IntelliCenter and the author of the project has been active in responding: Intellicenter Messages · Issue #116 · tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController

I have already purchased an adapter (for the huge cost of $0.80 :cool: ), AliExpress and am currently awaiting receipt.

It appears that the author does not own an IntelliCenter so if all of use here who are interested could show some love for his project and help him out with questions on the IntelliCneter then this could be a very cool solution indeed.
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the project or the developer.... or AliExpress for that matter :)

Last edited:
Not trying to change the subject, and maybe this question deserves it's own thread, but has anyone had issues with the Intellicenter app responding reliably?
I have the Intellicenter connected to my network via the wireless POE antenna provided. I am using manually assigned DHCP and a static IP. If I allow the intellicenter to choose an IP via DHCP it tries to use one out of range for some reason. I have a Ubiquiti access point about 40 feet away, and the line of sight signal is reported at 99%.
Everything worked like a champ until about a week and a half ago- around the same time that I updated the firmware on my Unifi access points, and now I'm having trouble...
When I log into the intellicenter app on my iPhone and hit the green "connect" button, it gives me the message "Connected. Requesting Configuration" or "Received Hardware Definition" at the top, but then the app just hangs for quite awhile. Eventually (3-5 minutes) it will usually give me my home screen (not always), but even if I get the home screen and turn on a feature there is a significant delay before it happens, if at all.
I called Pentair, and predictably they blamed my internet connection (which is 100 Mbps) and my network. I asked them if it could be on their end, and they said that they don't handle any of the information between the app and the physical unit. I told them that I disagreed, that at some point it is going through a server somewhere to which the gal had no answer, except that she hadn't received any bulletins regarding any outages.
I'm thinking the firmware update may have changed a setting somewhere that is causing the intellicenter link to bog down. Anyone have a similar issue or expertise to help me out? Not surprising that EVERYTHING else on my network works flawlessly, its just the intellicenter app that is wonky. Ugh.

Not trying to change the subject, and maybe this question deserves it's own thread, but has anyone had issues with the Intellicenter app responding reliably?
I have the Intellicenter connected to my network via the wireless POE antenna provided. I am using manually assigned DHCP and a static IP. If I allow the intellicenter to choose an IP via DHCP it tries to use one out of range for some reason. I have a Ubiquiti access point about 40 feet away, and the line of sight signal is reported at 99%.
Everything worked like a champ until about a week and a half ago- around the same time that I updated the firmware on my Unifi access points, and now I'm having trouble...
When I log into the intellicenter app on my iPhone and hit the green "connect" button, it gives me the message "Connected. Requesting Configuration" or "Received Hardware Definition" at the top, but then the app just hangs for quite awhile. Eventually (3-5 minutes) it will usually give me my home screen (not always), but even if I get the home screen and turn on a feature there is a significant delay before it happens, if at all.
I called Pentair, and predictably they blamed my internet connection (which is 100 Mbps) and my network. I asked them if it could be on their end, and they said that they don't handle any of the information between the app and the physical unit. I told them that I disagreed, that at some point it is going through a server somewhere to which the gal had no answer, except that she hadn't received any bulletins regarding any outages.
I'm thinking the firmware update may have changed a setting somewhere that is causing the intellicenter link to bog down. Anyone have a similar issue or expertise to help me out? Not surprising that EVERYTHING else on my network works flawlessly, its just the intellicenter app that is wonky. Ugh.
CasaBlanca
Sorry to hear about your connectivity issues. When you say "App", I'm assuming you are referring to the IntelliCenter Web-Client? I checked both my Web-Client and the iOS App to see if maybe there are some server issues. Everything on my end is working fine. I'm sorry I don't have a possible solution/work-around for you at this time, especially since I do not use the WiFi option.

We do have some very IT savvy folks here and some are using the IntelliCenter (or in the process of installing). So hopefully some of those folks will weigh in and see if they can offer up something that you can try. Calling @mcqwerty. Any thoughts on this issue?

Hopefully someone here can help you with this issue.
r.

r,

I'e been toying with upgrading my ET8 for the past 2-3 years (mine is the circa 2006 version that supposedly can't be flashed), and had been looking at going to an IntelliTouch. But your review has me thoroughly intrigued with the IntelliCenter and the additional automation it brings. I'm especially fond of the OTA upgrades instead of flash programming and effectively limitless scheduling. Since I already have an ET/IT LC with the SWG transformer, it looks like I would just need the personality kit that I want (probably the i8PS, but I may go all the way to the i10PS if the incremental cost is reasonable), the new system transformer for the LC, and a new indoor control panel if I don't want to be totally web based. I may need the wireless kit as well since I'm not sure I can get an Ethernet cable to my router.

Can you see anything that I might have missed? The LC upgrade for the system transformer and new personality kit looks very straightforward from your instructions. I've been inside that panel more times than I can count, so no worries on that front. Before I pull out my VISA, I want to make sure I'm not gonna have a $500 surprise once I get started.

Thanks,

Tracy

r,

I'e been toying with upgrading my ET8 for the past 2-3 years (mine is the circa 2006 version that supposedly can't be flashed), and had been looking at going to an IntelliTouch. But your review has me thoroughly intrigued with the IntelliCenter and the additional automation it brings. I'm especially fond of the OTA upgrades instead of flash programming and effectively limitless scheduling. Since I already have an ET/IT LC with the SWG transformer, it looks like I would just need the personality kit that I want (probably the i8PS, but I may go all the way to the i10PS if the incremental cost is reasonable), the new system transformer for the LC, and a new indoor control panel if I don't want to be totally web based. I may need the wireless kit as well since I'm not sure I can get an Ethernet cable to my router.

Can you see anything that I might have missed? The LC upgrade for the system transformer and new personality kit looks very straightforward from your instructions. I've been inside that panel more times than I can count, so no worries on that front. Before I pull out my VISA, I want to make sure I'm not gonna have a $500 surprise once I get started.

Thanks,

Tracy
Tracy,
Based on the information that you provided, you should need the following as far as I can tell... Since you need the i8PS or i10PS and already have the necessary 8 relays, a "Personality Kit" would not be your best option, since the i8PS and i10PS come bundled with relays in which you already have. You will probably need to go strictly a-la-carte.
1. You would need the i5P mother card. I believe this to be P/N 523050.
2. Then you need the i8PS daughter card (521968Z) or i10PS daughter card (521873Z). These "slide-connect" to the i5P mother card.
3. IntelliCenter System Transformer (522102Z)
4. IntelliCenter WiFi Link Kit (Primary Client Bridge) for internet connectivity. This will allow for Web-Client and Mobile App connectivity.
5. There are three different indoor control panels so please talk with PolyTec Pools on which one that you think you might want.
6. If you do decide on the i10PS, then of course you will need two additional relays.

I highly suggest that you give PolyTec Pools a call. Explain to them what your situation is and what you want to accomplish and I'm sure they can guide you down the right path.
Good luck with converting to the IntelliCenter and please feel free to ping me or PM me (if you prefer) with any questions that you might have.
All-the-best...
r.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I was going to go with the personality kit so that I DID get the two new valves, since my old valves aren't as smart as the new ones from Pentair. But I guess I could always replace those down the road or when one fails. And PolyTec Pools was definitely my next stop once I felt like I had the info I needed.

Tracy

Thanks for the quick reply. I was going to go with the personality kit so that I DID get the two new valves, since my old valves aren't as smart as the new ones from Pentair. But I guess I could always replace those down the road or when one fails. And PolyTec Pools was definitely my next stop once I felt like I had the info I needed.

Tracy
If you decide on the i10PS Personality Kit, then you WOULD get two IntelliValves bundled along with 5 relays, so in this case you would have 3 additional relays that you don't need, but this bundle might actually be cheaper than the full a-la-carte option. You might explore this option with PolyTec.
r.

Hi @CasaBlanca,
I am no expert regardless of what @MyAZPool may say :)

I would start with some traditional troubleshooting by narrowing down the variables. Are you able to temperately run an Ethernet cable out to your IntelliCenter from your router? This would eliminate the POE antenna and your wireless network entirely. If that worked ok, you could start eliminating other items by reinstating the POE adapter but turning off the access point and possibly moving your router closer to the IntelliCenter (again temporarily).
You could try setting up a wifi hotspot on your mobile phone and attempting to connect the IntelliCenter to that, thus eliminating your home network.

Then there is the age-old tech support fix-all of just rebooting EVERYTHING! :) I joke, but this is a good starting point since it's low effort and has a decently high success rate.

One thing you said that confused me,
If I allow the intellicenter to choose an IP via DHCP it tries to use one out of range
do you have a restricted DHCP range set on your router? I'm guessing yes since you are using assigned IPs. Out of range in what way?

It does sound like a network/wifi issue vs an IntelliCenter issue but it is hard to know for sure.
Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi @CasaBlanca,
I am no expert regardless of what @MyAZPool may say :)

I would start with some traditional troubleshooting by narrowing down the variables. Are you able to temperately run an Ethernet cable out to your IntelliCenter from your router? This would eliminate the POE antenna and your wireless network entirely. If that worked ok, you could start eliminating other items by reinstating the POE adapter but turning off the access point and possibly moving your router closer to the IntelliCenter (again temporarily).
You could try setting up a wifi hotspot on your mobile phone and attempting to connect the IntelliCenter to that, thus eliminating your home network.

Then there is the age-old tech support fix-all of just rebooting EVERYTHING! :) I joke, but this is a good starting point since it's low effort and has a decently high success rate.

One thing you said that confused me, do you have a restricted DHCP range set on your router? I'm guessing yes since you are using assigned IPs. Out of range in what way?

It does sound like a network/wifi issue vs an IntelliCenter issue but it is hard to know for sure.
Good luck!

All very good advice, and I’ll start the process of troubleshooting when I get home, I’m out of town at the moment. One other piece of information is that when I test the Internet connection from the panel, it comes back with a very good 20 ms response time and says that it’s connected. It seems like you tell intellicenter is able to talk fine to the Internet… I just don’t know why my app isn’t communicating with it. I’ll post back if I figure anything out. Thanks!

All very good advice, and I’ll start the process of troubleshooting when I get home, I’m out of town at the moment. One other piece of information is that when I test the Internet connection from the panel, it comes back with a very good 20 ms response time and says that it’s connected. It seems like you tell intellicenter is able to talk fine to the Internet… I just don’t know why my app isn’t communicating with it. I’ll post back if I figure anything out. Thanks!

Here's a thought (as an IT guy who sees similar problems from time to time)...

Does the app require you to be on the same network at the system? In other words, can you access the system from anywhere with Internet access, or only when you are on your home network? If you can only access it from your home network, do you by chance have both 2.5 and 5 GHz networks? I've seen devices on one speed sometimes have difficulty talking with devices on another speed even though their on the same main network and you can ping the device across the two speeds. Again, just a thought.

Tracy

Reactions: Tena
Here's a thought (as an IT guy who sees similar problems from time to time)...

Does the app require you to be on the same network at the system? In other words, can you access the system from anywhere with Internet access, or only when you are on your home network? If you can only access it from your home network, do you by chance have both 2.5 and 5 GHz networks? I've seen devices on one speed sometimes have difficulty talking with devices on another speed even though their on the same main network and you can ping the device across the two speeds. Again, just a thought.

Tracy

That’s a great suggestion, and I have seen issues, particularly with Sonos, where devices on different frequencies don’t play well together. I don’t believe this applies to the IntelliCenter, as the app allows you to control it from anywhere over the Internet.

LOL...I was frantically scouring my brain looking for the word frequencies, but could only come up with speeds. :) But yeah, since you can control the system from anywhere, that is not likely the culprit. Good luck with your continued troubleshooting!

That’s a great suggestion, and I have seen issues, particularly with Sonos, where devices on different frequencies don’t play well together. I don’t believe this applies to the IntelliCenter, as the app allows you to control it from anywhere over the Internet.
LOL...I was frantically scouring my brain looking for the word frequencies, but could only come up with speeds. :) But yeah, since you can control the system from anywhere, that is not likely the culprit. Good luck with your continued troubleshooting!

3. Since I greatly prefer wired connectivity (when available) versus wireless (for a myriad of reasons), I could “lay-in” Cat5E to the equipment pad and just “plug and play”, due to the onboard ethernet port (built-in connectivity) located on the IntelliCenter Control System Main Circuit Board. (I ran a 1” conduit using grey electrical pvc, from the side of the house (attic) to a low voltage raceway “knockout” and pulled in the Cat-5E).
Do I need to do this for my IntelliCenter?

Do I need to do this for my IntelliCenter?
Hi chemillion
Right. So per our discussion, not a "need" per se, since your particular i10PS IntelliCenter Personality Kit (521908) came bundled with the wireless kit. Since I purchased my IntelliCenter parts and pieces "ala carte", I choose to go with the "wired" option. To re-iterate, there have been discussions that this option (wired) may not be the best option, if one is concerned about surges/spikes that may get into their network and find their way to the pool automation. My home network/IT equipment is highly protected now (I hope :)) and I do not live in an area that is all that susceptible to lighting strikes, surges etc., so I went the wired solution.

There have been several positive reports on the IntelliCenter wireless capability, so you should be just fine using that option if that is satisfactory to your personal preferences.
Good question and thanks for asking.
Until next time.
r.

Completing an EasyTouch or IntelliTouch Load Center Conversion for the IntelliCenter Automation System.

In Post #1 of this thread, I detailed the procedure for converting an EasyTouch or IntelliTouch Load Center to an IntelliCenter Load Center. This included converting the System Transformer and the Low Voltage Relays.

However there are two (2) other minor items that can be addressed in order to complete the transition. I identified these two items in Post #2 of this thread.

They are:
  • A plug that goes into the hole where the 3rd low voltage circuit breaker was located and that is not required by the IntelliCenter.
  • An updated sticker that goes on the inside of the Load Center door. The newer sticker will show the IntelliCenter upper portion wiring diagram instead of the IntelliTouch or EasyTouch diagrams.
I have now completed both. I found a plug that fits into that 3rd low voltage circuit breaker position from Amazon.

As far as the door sticker, I loaded the Pentair IntelliCenter Control System Installation Guide PDF file on a USB flash (thumb) drive. I took it down to a local FedEx Office location. I told the employee that I wanted a print from pp58 (66-PDF) on a 14.75x20 inch glossy (non-transparent) adhesive backed paper.

This turned out to be way too easy (and I like that :p ). The employee totally got what I was trying to do. He did his thing on the computer while I observed and then told me that it would be ready the next day. Today, I went down and inspected the sticker (it looked perfect). I paid the employee, drove home and immediately installed it on the door of my now completely converted IntelliCenter (previously IntelliTouch) Load Center. I tried very hard to get it where there were no bubbles or creases. I wasn't completely successful but I guess its okay.

Good to go for now. To quote my favorite quarterback (Russell Wilson) “What’s Next?”…. :p
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: chemillion
Completing an EasyTouch or IntelliTouch Load Center Conversion for the IntelliCenter Automation System.

In Post #1 of this thread, I detailed the procedure for converting an EasyTouch or IntelliTouch Load Center to an IntelliCenter Load Center. This included converting the System Transformer and the Low Voltage Relays.

However there are two (2) other minor items that can be addressed in order to complete the transition. I identified these two items in Post #2 of this thread.

They are:
  • A plug that goes into the hole where the 3rd low voltage circuit breaker was located and that is not required by the IntelliCenter.
  • An updated sticker that goes on the inside of the Load Center door. The newer sticker will show the IntelliCenter upper portion wiring diagram instead of the IntelliTouch or EasyTouch diagrams.
I have now completed both. I found a plug that fits into that 3rd low voltage circuit breaker position from Amazon.
View attachment 109524

As far as the door sticker, I loaded the Pentair IntelliCenter Control System Installation Guide PDF file on a USB flash (thumb) drive. I took it down to a local FedEx Office location. I told the employee that I wanted a print from pp58 (66-PDF) on a 14.75x20 inch glossy (non-transparent) adhesive backed paper.

This turned out to be way too easy (and I like that :p ). The employee totally got what I was trying to do. He did his thing on the computer while I observed and then told me that it would be ready the next day. Today, I went down and inspected the sticker (it looked perfect). I paid the employee, drove home and immediately installed it on the door of my now completely converted IntelliCenter (previously IntelliTouch) Load Center. I tried very hard to get it where there were no bubbles or creases. I wasn't completely successful but I guess its okay.

View attachment 109527

View attachment 109526

View attachment 109528

Good to go for now. To quote my favorite quarterback (Russell Wilson) “What’s Next?”…. :p
r.
R- you detail your procedures and document your conversion so nicely! The information you provide here is top notch and second to none. Thank you.
PS- the new IntelliCenter panels do the same thing. They paste the new wiring diagram over an existing EasyTouch load center panel and still have bubbles. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.