Pentair IntelliCenter Questions.. What do I need?

Sep 11, 2016
Chandler, AZ
thanks for the Great review... I am currently looking to automate my pool and Spa... Need to know what I need to buy roughly

i have an old Intermatic setup...

i already upgraded the old Single pump to a VSF intellio flow (11056) as you have done...

i do have a gas heater, and only 4 Manual Jandy valves for the pool (switching between pool/spa- waterfall)

I like the idea of the Intellicenter... i do have 2 lights (1 spa and 1 pool) i would also like to take this time to update to an LED color changing light
so I want the load center to to be able and control all of that with Automation (from my IOS) i may even want the pool side controller

looking at all the info do I need the iS8? basically 4 valves 2 lights , heater and Pump - is that the 8? I dont plan on putting my landscape lights on it (but that may be an option) so i do they make a kit that is all in 1 for my setup ? and then i can just purchase the extra 2 valve controllers?

just trying to figure out where to start... clearly your the SME on this unit

cheers and thanks again for the breakdown of what you did

mark

thanks for the Great review... I am currently looking to automate my pool and Spa... Need to know what I need to buy roughly

i have an old Intermatic setup...

i already upgraded the old Single pump to a VSF intellio flow (11056) as you have done...

i do have a gas heater, and only 4 Manual Jandy valves for the pool (switching between pool/spa- waterfall)

I like the idea of the Intellicenter... i do have 2 lights (1 spa and 1 pool) i would also like to take this time to update to an LED color changing light
so I want the load center to to be able and control all of that with Automation (from my IOS) i may even want the pool side controller

looking at all the info do I need the iS8? basically 4 valves 2 lights , heater and Pump - is that the 8? I don't plan on putting my landscape lights on it (but that may be an option) so i do they make a kit that is all in 1 for my setup ? and then i can just purchase the extra 2 valve controllers?

just trying to figure out where to start... clearly your the SME on this unit

cheers and thanks again for the breakdown of what you did

mark
Hi Mark,
Couple of questions first.
1. Are your lights low-voltage or standard 110Vac lights? If you have no transformers involved for the lights, then they are standard.​
2. If they are standard, do you want to stay with 110Vac lights?​
3. If your lights are low-voltage, do you want to control them individually? (I would in your case since one is a spa light). Don't worry, you can still make all lights come on at once (or not) with the use of Circuit Groups (macros), with the IntelliCenter.​
So, the amount of valve actuators have nothing to do with the amount of relays that you might require. It's a common misconception. Typically, the amount of relays required depends on the amount of pumps, standard lights or light transformers and usually not the heater. In other words, the number of 220Vac or 110Vac devices that are applicable in your setup.

There is also, a misconception that you need a relay for every pump. If the filter pump is an IntelliFlo (like you have), it does not need a relay per se to power the pump as the IntelliFlo electronics requires continuous power in order to operate properly.

So, if you have a pool and spa, you will need at least the i5PS (P/N 521912). That would be one relay for the IntelliChlor SWCG (which I can't overemphasize that you certainly want to incorporate). Now, you are down to four auxiliary relays. Two for lights if you want them controlled individually. That leaves two left for any additional items that you can think of (landscape lights, maybe a equipment pad convenience/maintenance light if you want to turn that on through your phone like I do), other landscape or accent lighting etc.

So I think you will be fine with the i5PS. You can go with the i8PS if you wish, but in my opinion with your current setup, I can't think of any reason for so many relays.

I don't know if you have seen the following thread, but now that you are just beginning to plan your pad upgrade phase, I would highly recommend perusing the thread, as I have tried to give a lot of info here in an easy to follow format to include some lighting info and where I recommend you purchase your new equipment.

Let me know about the lights and we can go from there. We must be neighbors as I am also in Chandler.
Please keep in touch and stay safe.
r.

p.s. If your lighting is standard 110Vac, I know an outstanding pool lighting expert here in the valley that is great at removing the old lights and installing new LED lights and pulling the cables into your new load center. Very professional and reasonable. I used him and have recommended others to him. Everyone has been very happy with his work.

Last edited:
thanks for the Reply... So in regards to my lights.. the current ones.. are the old style bright white (with this project my plan is to switch to the Intellibright 5G color changing lights)
so they would both be changed out - at installation

sounds like the i5PS is the best option...

are the Intellibright 5g lights worth the costs? seem about 1100 for the pair

thanks for the Reply... So in regards to my lights.. the current ones.. are the old style bright white (with this project my plan is to switch to the Intellibright 5G color changing lights)
so they would both be changed out - at installation

sounds like the i5PS is the best option...

are the Intellibright 5g lights worth the costs? seem about 1100 for the pair
Mark,
When you say "old style", I'm going to assume that means 110Vac lights and NOT low-voltage lights since you have not indicated that you have low-voltage lighting transformer(s).
That being said, when I replaced my old style incandescent white lights, I did a lot of research (mostly here on TFP) for colored LED's that feature "Light Shows" that you refer to.
Most of what I could read, It appeared to me that the Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED's have a reliability issue. Mostly involving the light engine within the housing.

That is not to say that there are not IntelliBrites' out there that have not had a problem, it just seemed to me that many did.

Then I found (and eventually purchased), the J&J Electronics Color Splash XG 120v LED. This light emulates and supports the Pentair light colors and light shows and are thus compatible with the IntelliCenter lighting features and in my own opinion, appear to have a higher level of workmanship and quality control (especially regarding the light engine and LED circuit boards). The J&J lights have a much better warranty than Pentair does.

You will need to determine what make/model lights you currently have (you can usually find that info on the light ring) and then call J&J (link provided below) and they will help you select the appropriate Color Splash model that will be compatible with your current light niche(s). You will also need to let them know what the length of cord which is necessary to get from the niche (through the conduit) and up to the IntelliCenter load center. Don't be afraid of up sizing one length so you don't get a light that has a cord that is too short.

To answer your question, I think I paid around $550.00 for the ColorSpash. To me it was worth the price. My light is on a schedule and is illuminated for about 6-8 hours a night because of the way it gives the backyard such a nice ambiance. Because they are LEDs, that cost me about $9.00 a year and in a year and half, no issues at all.

Pool ColorSplash XG
Spa ColorSplash XG

You might want to also check out this company as well. I can't tell you much about them as I have no experience with them but their IntelliBrite colors/show compatiblity lights also look promising.

Hope you find some of this helpful.
r.

Last edited:
Thanks! I will definitely check out the ones you recommended
I have seen the mixed reviews on the intellibright 5G lights (which did kinda worry me)

thanks again for all the help
I am looking to get this stuff in the next month or so (just waiting to see how all this CV19 stuff plays out)

Is it possible to upgrade a Jandy Aqualink RS8 to a Pentair intellicenter w/o replacing the existing Load Center/wall cabinet. i.e Reusing the load center / existing wiring / housing?

I'm guessing I'll need their load center as well..
I'm not familiar at all with the Jandy, but I'm pretty sure that you would absolutely require the IntelliCenter Load or Power Center. If anyone else believes something different, maybe they can share their thoughts.
r.

Reactions: mcinlb
Finally ordered the Intellicenter and opted for the J&J Color Splash Lights... thanks for the recommendation "MyAZPool" ... i have a question about the install... i have a Hayward H400IDL Gas heater - what do I need to connect this heater to the Intellicenter? Do i need to get something from Hayward Specifically or Just some low Voltage 22awg wire? sounds like it only needs 2 wires to run to the intellicenter - there is also a 3 wire option... what is the difference ?
I only use my heater in SPA mode, in AZ i never heat the Pool, but do use the Spa in the winter months quite a bit

thanks again for the great review and the suggestion on the J&J lights... I am having Tech install the lights and the inetellicenter for me, just want to make sure I have what he needs for the heater to get it hooked up correctly the day he comes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark,

You just need a two wire connection.. The IntelliCenter only has a two wire control. Some other brands of automation have a three wire system.

With an automation system it does not really matter, they will both work fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Mark,

You just need a two wire connection.. The IntelliCenter only has a two wire control. Some other brands of automation have a three wire system.

With an automation system it does not really matter, they will both work fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim

Is there is specific wire harness I need? Or do I just buy some low voltage wire spools?

not sure if heater has the wire already run or not (for future use) Since this is an older system that I am adding automation to

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.