Pentair IC40 Salt Cell High Level reading

pinkman67

Aug 21, 2015
San Diego/CA
hello all, I have a 38k salt pool and my chlorinator reads 5500 ppm. My salt strip tester reads around 3900/4k ppm and when I took sample to family owned pool store, they read 3500 ppm. In reading many threads I replaced my flow switch and new reading is now 5000 ppm. I can drain 6 inches at a time to see if the number lowers but maybe thinking the cell may be past its life. Thanks

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

Usually when the flow switch assembly is bad the salt reading is low..

If you are confident that the actual salt level is normal, then I would just use it as is... The cell will still make chlorine when it thinks the salt level is high..

I personally use the Taylor K-1766 to confirm my "actual" salt level as I don't trust guess strips or pool stores... :mrgreen:

I have not heard of a cell reading high salt, just because it was old or ready to die.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

thptrek

Bronze Supporter
Dec 18, 2014
Houston, TX
My IC40 has been blinking green high salt for awhile now. Cleaned it, checked flow switch, etc and it keeps blinking green. Every now and then it will be solid green. However, it keeps making chlorine fine so I am just living with it.