Pentair IC40 Cell Issues

Mar 27, 2013
Dallas, TX
Before I replace this thing I figured I'd ask the experts here at TFP. Pentair was very little help given the cruddy 1 Year Warranty.

My cell has been working great since it was installed in October of 2013 until this weekend. Now, the only light that is lit is the salt light which is red. I've checked my salt multiple times, and it's around 3800ppm - so that's obviously not an issue. Usually when it starts up, it flashes green/red for a couple minutes, but it doesn't do that anymore either. The salt light goes on/off when I turn on/off my pump, but that's it. I've tried cutting all the power to the system (via the circuit breakers), and I've checked to make sure everything is good in the power center (light is on, fuse is fine, etc.). I've also checked the wires that run from the cell to the flow sensor which are all fine too.

Can you guys think of anything else I could try to get this thing working again before I just spend the $600 to get a new one?

Thanks in advance!

This guy had the same problems, IntelliChlor add salt red light is on with plenty of salt.

I would try that to see if it works for your SWG.

I came across that thread this morning too. I'll try cleaning it again, but my guess is that his cell had other lights on in addition to the red salt light (i.e. the ones that show the % of power, flow, etc.). I can't imagine why a dirty cell would cause all the lights to go out. I had a problem similar to the one he mentioned, and it ended up being the flow sensor not picking up the correct salt levels. Salt levels tested correctly, but that red light never changed.

There is a sensor switch (PN 520736 for an IC60 )inside your SWG per Pentair I spoke to them about my unit last week. About $90 and easy install... So could that be bad vs the whole cell? worth a try. I was also told to reset my unit - but the Pool company who installed it came out and replaced the unit. I have a post about that "a whole other issue" IC60 vs IC40. hope that helps a little

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.