Pentair EasyTouch Transceiver Issue

Kjhoffman

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2017
Bradenton
After a recent power outage, I noticed my Easytouch remote said "No Comm". Ive researched and tried all of the methods recommended for reestablishing connection between the the remote and the main unit. After everything failed I called Pentair. The tech walked me thru troubleshooting the transceiver ..I removed the cover and he asked me if LEDs were blinking. I answered yes. He said if the 2 LEDs blink simultaneously 6 times then I need a new antenna.

note: I hadnt seen this info on any site after hours of searching.

So as I began searching for a replacement part Antenna, I began to wonder if he meant just a new antenna or the entire antenna/circuit board.

Does anyone else have any info on the LEDs blinking 6 times ?

K,

I have not heard of this, but I suspect the com port is bad... when the tech said "antenna" he was taking about the whole Antenna assembly, including the circuit card.

There are two types.. the new ones and the old ones, and they are not interchangeable..

Let's ask Tom if he has heard of the 6 light diagnosis... @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey guys, I've got a handful of dead boards and I think all of them do the six blink pattern... so I think yours is dead too.

The new cards have a chip labelled "Laird" and the part number is 520946z. The old ones have "Linx" chips. Just make sure you get the right one.

-Tom

Last edited:
thanks Jim. That makes sense as I dont know why an antenna would be damaged by power outage/surge and would expect circuitry to be prone to such.

So, I suppose I can get the part number off old one to replace with same. But another question ..since I've been considering the ScreenLogic component, can I just swap old board/antenna with a ScreenLogic unit ?

K,

If you don't have Screenlogic you are missing the best part about having an EasyTouch.. You need this kit... Pentair ScreenLogic Interface and Wireless Connection Kit 522104

ScreenLogic has its own transceivers and I do not think they can be used for the Pentair remotes, but Tom would know for sure..

Tom.... why have you not fixed the handful of dead remotes you already have... ??? :)

Jim R.

thanks again .. and not to get too far off the original track, but I'll ask anyway ... I've read where ScreenLogic transceiver has issues with a mesh wifi network such as the one I have with an Orbi router. I did ask the Pentair tech, he agreed there is an issue and noted if I connect to Modem via cable it should be ok ... I'm just concerned with a 400.00 purchase of something that "should be ok"

I've read where ScreenLogic transceiver has issues with a mesh wifi network such as the one I have with an Orbi router. I did ask the Pentair tech, he agreed there is an issue and noted if I connect to Modem via cable it should be ok
Sorry to pile on... but I'd like to know more about this. I have an Orbi RBK53 system, with 2 satellites and the Orbi router as an access point (using Asus RT-AC68U as router). One Orbi satellite is pretty close to where the ScreenLogic outdoor antenna would go (through an exterior wall) so would be the obvious place to wire the indoor ScreenLogic boxes.

It makes no sense to wire the transceiver to the modem (unless you have a combination modem/router). It would have to be wired to the router and the router wired to the modem.

Can you point me to the place that discusses incompatibility issues between Orbi and ScreenLogic? Thanks.

Im sorry, I just stumbled on to that Orbi statement while researching my Easytouch no comm issue. I dont recall which site I read it on but if I see it again will let you know. I dont think it said much other than there was an issue with it. I have the same network config you described so that caught my eye. I did ask the Pentair tech and he did confirm there was an issue with occasional/sporadic lost connectivity. He then said connecting via wire would resolve it, although he seemed a little confused and used router and modem interchangeably .. but in the end he said "connect to modem". I assume he meant router but just shared what he said.

If you don't have Screenlogic you are missing the best part about having an EasyTouch.. You need this kit... Pentair ScreenLogic Interface and Wireless Connection Kit 522104

That is a great price!!

ScreenLogic has its own transceivers and I do not think they can be used for the Pentair remotes, but Tom would know for sure..

Jim you are correct, screenlogic uses an entirely different radio platform so you can't use it for the Easytouch remote.

Tom.... why have you not fixed the handful of dead remotes you already have... ??? :)

Ha, it's because I'm lazy and slow!! I'm not sure what's wrong with mine but I'm guessing the radios are bad (that Laird chip)... the pic micro drives the LEDs so I'm thinking it's OK, but throws the 6 flashes because it can't talk to the radio chip.

He then said connecting via wire would resolve it, although he seemed a little confused and used router and modem interchangeably

I'm guessing he meant connect the "protocol adapter" directly to your easytouch's comm port using a wire, rather than using the "wireless connection" part of the screenlogic kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually it was specific to the Orbi network connectivity problems and that the connection should be to modem vs wifi, otherwise there are occasional connectivity losses... I did ask him that a second time saying "router not modem correct" and he then said " .. "yeah, modem"...I left it at that cause I was concerned with my easytouch no comm issue and was happy that I only needed an antenna..but after thinking and checking with you all Im back at needing the full antenna/circuit card..and now leaning to the screenlogic option.

Still wondering about wireless compatibility. Knowing how slow Pentair is to embrace modern technology, I wonder what version of WiFi the ScreenLogic2 uses. 802.11b, g, or n? That could be the issue. Those of us with modern network equipment are likely to disable b and g because they can slow or interfere with n.

Can anyone tell me what version of WiFi the ScreenLogic2 uses? I searched but could not find. Or is communication between the 2 transceivers not WiFi at all, meaning the home network's WiFi is the only one that matters?

Last edited:
Hey Squirrel,
The screenlogic doesn't use wifi... it uses a 915MHz band radio for the "wireless connection". It's your home WIFI that lets you control stuff from your phone etc. by sending commands over WIFI and through your router to the protocol adapter (over ethernet), and then to the outdoor controller via rs485 (either hard-wired or with the wireless link)

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Hi, sorry for the long delay...just wanted to share that I did purchase and setup the screenlogic and it works fantastic. I connected to my ORBI router and have not had a single issue or dropped connection in 2 months usage. I can control from android and iphone, and ipad.. and have also looked at and adjusted settings from my network as well as via internet. What a difference from the old easytouch remote.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.