Steve3

Aug 11, 2019
Saratoga, NY
I just replaced a circuit breaker and then powered-up my 9-year-old AquaCal SuperQuiet pool heater, and now the heater will not start-up. The heater display board gives a CEr indicator (communication problem). Likewise, my 9-year-old Pentair EasyTouch remote control system in the house now indicates "NO COMM."

A tech recently replaced the AquaCal display board with a new-style board, and before the circuit breaker failed the heater had been working well. I tried "sweeping right" across the AquaCal display buttons to unlock the display and request that the heater re-establish a connection with the EasyTouch unit, or to find a heater display menu item that would allow me to manually activate the heater, but swiping does not unlock the display. I tried to find an EasyTouch menu item that would allow me to request that the EasyTouch re-establish a connection with the heater, but I can't find any path that achieves a re-connect.

Does anyone know how to re-establish the remote connection between an (old) EasyTouch remote control and an AquaCal heater?

Alternatively, does anyone know how to unlock the new-style AquaCal display and manually set the temperature?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

--Steve

Steve,

I know zip about AquaCal heaters, but most heaters are not connected to the EasyTouch's com bus.. Are you sure yours does?? I say this because when I look at the AquaCal heater manuals, I only see two and three wire connections that have nothing to do with the Com bus, so I am puzzled.. :scratch:

Does your remote control other things on your EasyTouch?

Do you have an IntelliFlo pump with a display? If so, go out and see if the pump says "Display not Active".. Also make sure you are not in the Service mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi, Jim. No Intelliflow here. Pump, chlorinator, and heater are all remote-controlled from the Pentair box in the kitchen. It now reads ‘NO COMM’ next to ‘heater’ for first time in 9 years, so seems to no longer be in communication with the pool heater.

I just simulated a power outage to see if the system would reset, and that eliminated the ‘NO COMM’ error message in the Pentair controller on the kitchen. But the AquaCal still won’t heat, and the AquaCal error message still shows.

Last edited:
I would start with the easiest thing first. "NO COMM" is just that . The E/T can't see the panel in the house. Or i should say the panel in the house cant see the E/T. Note: the panel in the house is a remote to the Panel at the equipment not the other way around. You should have a communication wire running to both the heater and the panel in the house from the E/T box at the equipment. Check this wire and make sure that a mouse, rat, etc. has not eaten through them. You also want to check to make sure the wire isn't getting pinched, or is tightly wrapped around a corner. Or maybe a staple has gone through it and finally (after 9 years) broken the wire(s). If the AquaCal is in a remote mode, so it can be controlled externally, Try taking it out of remote mode, to see if you can get it going manually. Jim's link above should get you there. E/T can be placed in "service mode" to get the pump going manually if you cant from the in house panel.

I would start with the easiest thing first. "NO COMM" is just that . The E/T can't see the panel in the house. Or i should say the panel in the house cant see the E/T. Note: the panel in the house is a remote to the Panel at the equipment not the other way around. You should have a communication wire running to both the heater and the panel in the house from the E/T box at the equipment. Check this wire and make sure that a mouse, rat, etc. has not eaten through them. You also want to check to make sure the wire isn't getting pinched, or is tightly wrapped around a corner. Or maybe a staple has gone through it and finally (after 9 years) broken the wire(s). If the AquaCal is in a remote mode, so it can be controlled externally, Try taking it out of remote mode, to see if you can get it going manually. Jim's link above should get you there. E/T can be placed in "service mode" to get the pump going manually if you cant from the in house panel.
Sounds great. Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.