Pentair Easytouch 8 heater cool down delay locks out 4 button spa-side remote

pohoda

May 5, 2020
San Marcos, CA
Hi all,

This is my first post in the forums, but this has been such a helpful forum. Thanks everyone!

I just installed all new equipment and went the route of Pentair Easytouch 8 load center with the 8 button hard wired controller inside, Intellipro VSF pump, IC60 SCG, and screen logic2. In terms of heater I went with the Raypak R406 commercial unit as I had the room and wanted something that would last with less complicated components. I did all the programming myself on the Easytouch which is on firmware 2.160.

I originally did not enable the cool down delay in spa mode (defaults to 10 mins), but was having problems with high limit 1 (manual reset) tripping occasionally. I determined it tripped when the spa was turnoff while the heater was running and sat with all the residual heat which eventually raised the temp up to the 135 degrees and tripped the limit 1. I have the R406 commercial unit with the brass header and with that comes the manual reset limit 1 (limit 2 is auto reset). Turning on the cool down setting on the Easytouch has eliminated the limit switch trip issue, but has now introduced an inconvenience that I can't seem to figure out.

Now when the spa is turned off (regardless of whether the heater is running or not) it goes into a 10 min cool down cycle with full pump speed and switches the actuators to pool mode. During this time I am unable to use any of the buttons on my 4 button side remote. The light on the side remote stays lit solid red. So basically I am stuck waiting for 10 mins while the cool down cycle runs or have to run inside to the pool controller to cancel the delay and am unable to control anything from the side remote until the delay is over. I tried the Screen Logic app and while I can control lights and other things I cannot find a way to override the delay like you can at the load center panel or indoor control panel. One thing to note is I am using my old Jandy 4 button side remote if that makes a difference. I think all the 4 button side remotes are essentially the same. 6 wires (common, led indicator, and 4 wires associated with each button). The 4 button otherwise works fine controlling the spa mode, spillway mode (setup to allow cold water to flow into spa), spa light, and pool light reliably without issues.

I came from a Jandy Aqualink controller that was 20 years old and I have to say it handled this part much better than the Easytouch (at least how it is currently working for me). On that system I had a 5 min delay, but it would only initiate if the heater had been on in the last 5 mins and I was still able to use the buttons on the 4 way side button remote to control spa lights and pool lights whether in the cooldown or not.

I cannot find any information as to whether this is standard behavior or if I am doing something wrong.

Appreciate any insight into what I can do to overcome this. I would even be ok with programming a feature to allow me to cancel the delay, but I have found no such option.

Thanks,

PJN

PJN,

I have not seen this issue before, so nothing pops right up as a possible cause for your problem..

As a test, try this... Instead of turning the Spa off, just turn the Pool on and see what happens..

The manual says turning the valves to Pool is normal..

The red light on the remote should be on any time the heater is heating.

I am not sure why the pump would go to full speed.

Show me the following ScreenLogic setup pages...

View media item 1964

And if you can, the setup page for your 4 button remote.

Thanks,

Jim R.

PJN,

I don't see anything obvious, but I have seen weird things when RPM and GPM are both used.. As a test I would change the one GPM to RPM..

I believe that if you don't shut off the spa and just turn on the pool, the pump will only run at 1600.. If you just shut off the spa, the pump will still see the Spa speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

PJN,

I don't see anything obvious, but I have seen weird things when RPM and GPM are both used.. As a test I would change the one GPM to RPM..

I believe that if you don't shut off the spa and just turn on the pool, the pump will only run at 1600.. If you just shut off the spa, the pump will still see the Spa speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. Just to clarify I am not so much concerned about what speed the pump runs at when in cool down, but rather trying to figure out why the 4 button gets locked out during the 10 min cooldown. None of the 4 buttons respond to pressing them during the 10 min cooldown. I would expect the spa function to be locked out during this time but not the other buttons which are for controlling lights in pool and spa.

PJN,

I understand that.. since I don't know what is causing the problem, I'm just trying to eliminate other possibilities..

Just like you, I don't see any obvious reason for your spa side remote to hang up...

When the spa side remote does not work, does ScreenLogic and the main panel still work fine?

Another option is to call Pentair and see what they have to say.

Thanks,

Jim R.

PJN,

I understand that.. since I don't know what is causing the problem, I'm just trying to eliminate other possibilities..

Just like you, I don't see any obvious reason for your spa side remote to hang up...

When the spa side remote does not work, does ScreenLogic and the main panel still work fine?

Another option is to call Pentair and see what they have to say.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Screenlogic and panel work, but I see no obvious way to cancel the delay on Screenlogic as I can at the panel. Obviously I am unable to turn on/off spa or switch to pool during the 10 min cooldown, but all other functions appear to work. I will try to call Pentair and see what they say. I considered buying the Pentair spa side 4 button just as a test but man is that a pricey item for what it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.