Pentair EasyClean DE Filter EC90 needs to be cleaned every 14 days due to low water flow. Please help

KingKuya

Jun 25, 2021
Philippines
We have installed a pressure / vacuum gauge at the pump to get all the correct numbers to calculate the TDH and to make sure the pump is not undersized.

* Pool volume: 9000 Gallons / 34,000 Liters
* Filter: 90 GPM, Pentair EasyClean DE Filter EC90
* Pump: Pentair Whisperflo 1/2 HP 90 GPM
* Flow rate: 76 GPM with a 30 ft Total Dynamic Head (TDH)
* Water chemistry: Balanced, free of algue
* Water source: Almost 100% rain water. But weirdly the pH needs to be decreased very often with muriatic acid.

At this point we could basically rule out any issues with the pump and we are looking at the filter, but i am running out of ideas. Issue is, I have to take out the cartridge of the filter every 2 weeks and give it a deep cleaning. Otherwise the flow rate is decreasing to such a level that the water wont get clear anymore. After cleaning the cartridge everything runs perfectly fine for another two weeks. One exception though, if the pump is running for several hours the pressure also increases in the filter too much and reduces the flow rate. Giving the system a little rest fixes that again.

What we also noticed that the air bleeder part gets clogged up with DE powder, not sure if that is an issue but i thought i mention it.

How we recharge DE powder after cleaning the cartridge: We have an infinity pool, and therefore no skimmer. In the beginning I've dumped 3 LBS / 1.36 kg of DE powder in a bucket, put water inside and used the vacuum hose to get it into the filter. These days I just use the main drain in the balancing tank and add the mixture there. Everything ends up in the filter, no issues. Just thought I mention this, too.

Yesterday 2 weeks pasted after deep cleaning and the flow rate reduced again. Refusing to clean it though, so I opened the filter and inspected it. Air bleed was clogged, removing the cartridge from the filter was a bit harder than usual, it created a bit of a vacuum, air couldn't really pass through the cartridge even, makes it easier to understand why water has a hard time going through, too.

Overall I am running out of ideas. Please let me know if u have any idea what could be the cause of this. Thank you so much.

It appears that algaecide has copper sulfate in it. TFPC does not use algaecides. Chlorine is all you need with some stabilizer and a some acid when necessary. If the filter is green you have algae, if it is turquoise it is copper.

Copper. Has it stained the pool surface? It will turn blonde hair green. Only way to get rid of it is to drain the pool.

Up to you. This forum is about following TroubleFree Pool Care. You do something much different that we do not recommend. Using algaecide does nothing to sanitize the water. Person to person disease transmission, bacteria, etc must have chlorine.
Read through Pool School.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've applied OMNI Chlorine stabilizer, every two weeks 1 TCCA 90% tablet, if needed Calcium Hypochlorite Granular form 70%.

Another observation: If we backwash the filter after 2 weeks only clean water comes out the waste drain, not any DE powder. the DE is all caked up at the cartridge. Will test for CYA later today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.