Pentair Clean & Clear vs Quad DE

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
My current set up is an 18,000-galon pool, no hot tub, Hayward TriStar VS pump (SP3202VSP), and an old American Titan DE filter. I am trying to find out what my best option is for a filter replacement, and a local pool guy highly recommended Pentair Quad DE 60 sq ft that he is ready to install for $1,500 together with a backwash valve. Knowing nothing about filters I did a quick search and found that you can order an 80 sq ft version online for about $1,100 tax and shipping included. So the first question is, would you recommend going with an 80 sq ft version and trying to find someone to install it for you?

Second, while searching for the best price, I found that Pentair Clean & Clear filters that I remember someone here was swearing by are actually much cheaper. The same web site offers a 100 sq ft version for $430 all around. Even a 200 sq ft version, though I am not sure if it is worth paying extra for, is about $700 which is much cheaper than a 80 sq ft Quad DE filter. So is it worth paying extra in my situation and go with Quad DE? If you recommend Clean & Clear instead, would you suggest I pay extra and go with a 200 sq ft version?

You would want at least the 320 sq ft clean and clear plus but I would recommend the 420 or 520 for your pool, get the biggest filter you can afford.. This allows you to go a full year before cleaning the filters.. I also have 2 sets of filters, change 1 set out and put the new set in, then clean the old set and wait to install them next year..

The comparable DE filter is the 60 or 80 vs the 420 and 520 and cost just about the same... The difference being you do not need to backwash or even mess with the filter for a year or buy DE or get rid of the DE after it is used or backwash..

I would recommend a 3 way valve just after your pump and before the clean and clear cart filter so you can still lower your pool water just like you can using backwash on the DE filter.. :)

A,

I have three pools.. Two with DE filters and one with a large cartridge filter. There is no way that you can look at the pools and see any differences between them. The water in all three look identical.

I can't wait for my two DE filters to die so that I will have an excuse to convert over to large cartridge filters.

Cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing, low back pressure, no multiport valve to go bad or leak, and no messing with DE,

I will never own another DE filter again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wouldn't a DE filter do a better job at cleaning comparing to a cartridge filter?

Technically, yes. But based on experiences I’ve read about on this forum over the years (my experience is only with DE), you would likely not notice any difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.