Pentair automation - optimal setup advice/ how to schedule pool filter and spillway separately

tAdA

May 12, 2017
socal
Hello !

New pool build last October and it's time to figure out how to optimize the automation to hopefully lower electricity costs that jumped up considerably. I would also like to address operating the spillover separability as I am always chasing high PH

Here is the current setup by the PB, I just reduced the Pool circuit time from 8 hours to 6 hours. My pool does not seem to circulate all that well, returns are pretty weak towards end of the pool. Runs are probably 45 feet or so to the equipment. I know there may be a trade-off with skimming and saving electricity.

Pool & 18" raised spa w/spillover

Circuit setup
Pool = 2000 RPM - 6 hours a day
High Speed = 3450 RPM - 1 hour a day

I can't see how to change the Pool circuit to not engage the spillover, nor can I figure out how to setup a circuit for the Spillover. I created a "Spillway" circuit on Feature 2, it just moves what I guess is the correct actuator but dosnt turn on the pump.

Regarding the high speed circuit PB said the high speed was needed to "clean things out", I imagine this is not really needed. Also when the Pool circuit turns on it goes max RPMs for a minute or so, I think I saw a thread on how that isnt really needed but couldn't find it again on how to turn that off if possible.

I have a robot so no vacuuming is needed.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, this is probably all simple stuff so please excuse the newbie questions and feel free to send me some post links.

Thanks!

tAdA
Just a thought here. You might want to replace "Hopefully in construction soon!" with an updated signature that includes your pool size and your equipment (manufacturer/model). This will allow the right folks to come along and target your questions. ;)
r.

T,

Most pools that have a constant spillover have what is called a make up valve. This valve by-passes the Return valve and allows some water to go to the spa even when you are in the pool mode. Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad plumbing and we will tell you where it is..

Setting up the spillway function will not help much unless you can shut off the constant spillover.

If you have the spillway circuit set up then you just need to assign a pump speed to the spillway circuit.. the same as I have a speed set for my Waterfall circuit

There is zero reason to run your pump at 3450 RPM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

Most pools that have a constant spillover have what is called a make up valve. This valve by-passes the Return valve and allows some water to go to the spa even when you are in the pool mode. Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad plumbing and we will tell you where it is..

Setting up the spillway function will not help much unless you can shut off the constant spillover.

If you have the spillway circuit set up then you just need to assign a pump speed to the spillway circuit.. the same as I have a speed set for my Waterfall circuit

There is zero reason to run your pump at 3450 RPM..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim! Here are pics of the pad. I messed something up when attempting to setup the spillover circuit as now pool and spa circuits don't turn on the pump. Just the actuators move. Could also be the Pentair SLConfig mobile app as it seems pretty buggy.

Attachments

• 20190706_184107.jpg
    20190706_184107.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190706_184117.jpg
    20190706_184117.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190706_184131.jpg
    20190706_184131.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 19
T,

Right in the middle of your first pics is a check valve and to the left a blue ball valve. This is your make-up system that sends water to the spa when in the pool mode. Turn off the blue valve and the constant spillover will stop.

I NEVER program using my phone, only my PC..

Look at that same set up page I show above and make sure things look like you want. If the type of pump is correct, do not select it again... Doing so will wipe out all your speeds and you will have to set them up again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I did indeed inadvertently wipe out all of the speeds via mobile app. I installed the PC program, set the speeds and they were not taking effect after saving. Even closing the app and going back in, the speeds were there but the pump would not turn on. I reset the power at the sub panel and it started working. I turned off the blue valve you pointed out, changed speeds and not working gain. Here is my screenshot of the speed settings..

Thanks for your help!

T

I think I figured it out, priming params on Pump 1 was @ 1000 lower than all of the circuit RPMs - once I bumped it up to 2000 it started working again. I guess that is logical as prime must be equal or more than your lowest circuit RPM? None of this was in the 80 page manual and the software is pretty horrible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.