Pentail IntelliFlo VS versus SuperFlo VS for Solartouch

Feb 25, 2017
California
I currently have the Solartouch control for my pool solar system that I installed myself last year. I need to get a new pump (and filter) and I am debating between the IntelliFlo VS and the SuperFlo VS. I only have 1 skimmer and 1.5" pipes. My in-ground pool is approximately 40,000 gallons. I think that the SuperFlo may be sufficient for my needs. However, is there an available communication relay between the Solartouch and the SuperFlo, so that when the solar is activated, the pump will automatically kick into a higher speed? I read somewhere that is is available for the IntelliFlo but I couldn't find and information about the SuperFlo. Secondly, I want something that is very quiet, since the pool equipment is right next to the pool and currently annoying loud.

Unrelated to the pump, I need a new filter as well. Is the Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter the largest cartridge available. I don't want DG or sand but would like the largest filter available.

Thank you in advance.

Nick Fisher

Nick,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions.. :snorkle:

If you look at the manual for the SolarTouch, it suggests using the Intelliflo via a 2-wire serial communication cable, which comes with the pump. It appears you program the pump like normal and then when solar is active, the Solartouch tells the pump to ramp up to whatever speed you have programmed for solar operation.

The Intelliflo is so quiet, than when running at 1,200 RPM, I almost have to touch it to make sure it is running...

Don't let the 3 HP rating scare you.. That is max HP and not something you will be using 99% of the time. It costs me less than $20 per month to run my pump 24/7..

I have the Pentair 520 cartridge filter. I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe that is their largest cartridge model. I clean mine twice a year. Under normal operating conditions for me, the filter pressure is only about 2 or 3 lbs.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Nick,

In a lot of places in California, the power companies are providing rebates for buying variable speed pumps. Check their list of approved modes before making any purchase..

Jim R.

Thank you Jim for your response. I was leaning towards the IntelliFlo but wasn't sure if it was overkill for my old 1.5" copper pipes. Both pumps would give me the same rebate from the power company, so that's a wash. I'll probably end up with the IntelliFlo but wanted a 2nd opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.