cmedina

Jan 24, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello,

I had my pool resurfaced/remodeled last year in March 2018. By July, I started noticing white marks appearing on the walls and on the floor of the pool. I asked the person who I hired for the job, what that was caused from. He stated that it was from chlorine tabs being dragged across the floor of the pool. I told him that there was no way that that had happened as I had just purchased a new chlorinator and that I always ensured the lid was locked up. As months progressed I noticed another issue from the job that was done, so they had to drain the pool halfway. This is when I noticed that there were white marks on the sides of the wall of the pool. I reached out to the pool remodeler and he said that he would reach out to the concrete company where he purchased the product from. I had the president of the concrete company come out and tell me that the reason my pool was looking bleached was due to the chemicals in the pool not being correct. Now I am no pool expert but this seems not right, as the pool was just done and in less than a year it has faded?? I could see if it was over a few years time, but not a few months. Not only that but I made sure that the chemicals were always in balance from the pool store. The fact that my pool looks so faded now is very disheartening. I came here in hopes that I could get some truth from people, as I am ready to go to a lawyer since I am feeling robbed. Anyone have any idea if what they are telling me is true?

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
What does the pool store tell you the chemistry numbers were usually at? It's not that easy to tell from the picture, but it looks like really bad scaling. I'm guessing you have pretty hard water there in Scottsdale? This could very well be a water chemistry issue, caused by high calcium hardness (CH), combined with high pH and other issues that would take it out of balance.

For it to happen so fast though is surprising, you likely would have had to have your water chemistry off from the start when they did the replaster.

You'll find folks here don't trust pool store water testing at all, and strongly encourage doing your own testing with one of a few high quality test kits that are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the pool store tell you the chemistry numbers were usually at? It's not that easy to tell from the picture, but it looks like really bad scaling. I'm guessing you have pretty hard water there in Scottsdale? This could very well be a water chemistry issue, caused by high calcium hardness (CH), combined with high pH and other issues that would take it out of balance.

For it to happen so fast though is surprising, you likely would have had to have your water chemistry off from the start when they did the replaster.

You'll find folks here to do trust pool store water testing at all, and strongly encourage doing your own testing with one of a few high quality test kits that are available.

Thank you, I thought I was doing the right thing by having the pool store tell me, since I am not good with how much chemicals need to be in the pool. I am hiring a pool company this year, since I am done with trying to maintain this beast by myself. I am just disappointed that the pool looks like it does, after I spent so much money.

Thank you, I thought I was doing the right thing by having the pool store tell me, since I am not good with how much chemicals need to be in the pool. I am hiring a pool company this year, since I am done with trying to maintain this beast by myself. I am just disappointed that the pool looks like it does, after I spent so much money.

Don't get discouraged doing it yourself, it's much better than using a pool service. You just need the right education and tools. All of which is available here. I learned everything I know and my pool looks great, and I save a lot of money.

I am SO glad you found us now! We can help you with your pool moving forward.

We might be able to reverse a tiny bit of the scaling with time. Until then lets keep from getting any worse and save you some bucks in the process.

First lets talk about what has happened with the Pool $tore. "Free water test" =I am so in says most people. Well....... is it REALLY free when you walk out the door with your arms full and wallet empty? The Pool store is in busness to sell you stuff. Most of them don't even do the water tests correctly :shock: Say WHAT?? Yeah I am sad to say they don't use the correct methods or don't clean between testing or don't calibrate their machines if they use the fancy computer ones.

Now lets talk about pool services...........they can do much harm to your pool surface and water with how they do things. Most of the time they only come once a week and only spend about 10 mins, if you are lucky, at your pool. What they tend to do is throw so much stuff into your pool that the levels get real high in hopes there will still be some left when they come back in a week. Kind of scary huh?

Last lets talk about TFP's way-You taking care of your pool using a good test kit and stuff from Target or Walmart............How neat is that??? I have a couple of links for you to show you what I am talking about:

This one talks about the different test kit. I strongly suggest the TF-100 or the Taylor 2006C. You will see they come with more of the regents than the others.
Test Kits

This one shows the chemicals we use in our pools:
Pool Chemicals

The tests are fun and easy to do. There a videos and the forum to help you learn how to do them!

Let us know what your thoughts are now!

Kim:kim:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pwcfan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.