Pebble _________ and the TFP method

Aug 11, 2016
Cypress, TX
About to leave the dark side.

CYA is on the high side (from pucks go figure)

Draining and refilling some now.

What numbers do you aim for for a Pebble sheen/tec pool? Are they any different from regular plaster.

Located in cypress TX. Yes it was over 100 for the last 5 days.

Thanks for any info as I want to know my targets before starring the slam and maintenance.

22df2e57a9e366b7ef60884d121e3e37.jpg

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

Also any concern from the methods here bleaching out the color of the pebble sheen??

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

Welcome!

It would greatly help us to help you if you put details of your pool, liner, equipment and the name of the test kit you're using into your signature, makes it easy for us to find.
If you haven't got TF100 kit/K2006 I highly recommend to start there: TF100 test kit as this forum promotes pool care based on reliable data and those are only 2 kits so far which are accurate enough and affordable.

Surf, I take it you are draining because your CYA is too high? Why do you need to SLAM? Do you have algae?

Oh, and welcome to TFP!! We love pics so don't forget to post some!

- - - Updated - - -

And I don't think you need to worry about your Pebble color bleaching out.

TC vs FC is high indicating a problem.

Yes cya is on high side. As is calcium hardness.

Once I know targets I'll post up current numbers and official Intro.

--------------

Are you asking TFP to suggest where your numbers should be? We'd have to know where you are first.

If you want to go to California, you have to know where you are before you can get directions on how to get there.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post.

Surf_ox.. you need a reliable test kit to get your baseline numbers. TFTestkits.net is the source for our approved kits (either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006)

We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

and you need to start reading --> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Levels (which get tweaked by your own locale and needs)-->Pool School - Recommended Levels

I have used the TFP since my Pebble Fina pool was brand new.

The only problem I have is crystal clear water. once you get this going CYA buffers your chlorine and its all fine. Its better than most systems because you chlorinate based on the CYA level. Therefore the chlorine is always buffered.

Surf, I take it you are draining because your CYA is too high? Why do you need to SLAM? Do you have algae?

- - - Updated - - -

Thats was my main concern on the bleaching out

OK here we go...

13,000 gal pool on east side of house in Cypress, TX (will update sig once i find that link again)

Readings at 600p 8/13
FC 1
TC 7.6
TA 90
CH 420
CYA 60
TEMP 80
Water Quality - Clear
Filters cleaned this am.

using a K 2006 kit

were expecting a large amount of rain tonight and tomorrow (inches)

My assumption on the SLAM is the large TC vs FC (pending bloom) from what I've read and want to stay ahead of it. I threw a gallon of bleach int here just to get some C in the water until i start the SLAM. I tested my fill water and TC was 5 and FC was 0....is that normal????

Ive got 15 gal of 8.25% bleach on hand and ready to SLAM to get this right

I know the target FC numbers depend on CYA from chart...but what are other Pebble____ pool owners aiming towards??

opinions on the slam??

thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thats was my main concern on the bleaching out

OK here we go...

13,000 gal pool on east side of house in Cypress, TX (will update sig once i find that link again)

Readings at 600p 8/13
FC 1
TC 7.6
TA 90
CH 420
CYA 60
TEMP 80
Water Quality - Clear
Filters cleaned this am.

using a K 2006 kit

were expecting a large amount of rain tonight and tomorrow (inches)

My assumption on the SLAM is the large TC vs FC (pending bloom) from what I've read and want to stay ahead of it. I threw a gallon of bleach int here just to get some C in the water until i start the SLAM. I tested my fill water and TC was 5 and FC was 0....is that normal????

Ive got 15 gal of 8.25% bleach on hand and ready to SLAM to get this right

I know the target FC numbers depend on CYA from chart...but what are other Pebble____ pool owners aiming towards??

opinions on the slam??

thanks

I would retest your fill water, Chlorine level of 5?? I question on how you are testing....your pebble pool use plaster, same target

I have never read that the pebble finishes require anything different either from the pebble companies or here. If they did, it would be a problem that would have been obvious long ago. The water needs to be maintained one way or the other. There are slight differences between fiberglass, plaster & vinyl but for pebble finish, follow the plaster guidelines as it is pebble embedded into the plaster.

With your numbers, you probably need to SLAM. If your water is cloudy/green or you fail the OCLT, that will confirm the SLAM is needed. Most here would expect though that if your FC went below the minimum for your CYA, a SLAM is likely going to be needed. It does not take long for stuff to start growing.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of the casa. Hopefully the panoramic works.

b895cfb1758ca6962dc0391dd32c8ef4.jpg

--------------

Are you sure you aren't mixing up your FC and CC numbers for your TC number? I don't think I've ever read on here someone having combined chlorine of 5.

I have a salt water pool but I try to keep my CYA at 70 and my FC between 6-7 because we have a crepe myrtle tree near the pool.

I see no reason to drain your pool based on your posted numbers.

Pebble and quartz (and even completely tiled) are all plaster pools and should be balanced and maintained according to that set of levels.

we got the mother nature pool water exchange going on anyway. 7 inches since Friday evening.

Im thankful to hear there's no difference in pebble vs plaster for the method.

My initial concern would be like for a wax for a car. Is it safe to use on fiberglass?? Well follow all these directions and you'll have success. And when it messes up someone chimes in and says oh it shouldn't be used on fiberglass. I wanted to make sure the method was good for pebble finishes before any expensive damage was caused and someone chiming in later oh it shouldn't be used on pebble____

thanks again

Given your CH and TA, I would definitely keep an eye on your pH. You do not want to induce calcium scaling.

Pebble/SWG owner here and - after you finish slamming, if that's the route for you - I would make a habit of maintaining your CYA at 70-80 and your chlorine just above the target. That will help keep you square.

Given your CH and TA, I would definitely keep an eye on your pH. You do not want to induce calcium scaling.

Pebble/SWG owner here and - after you finish slamming, if that's the route for you - I would make a habit of maintaining your CYA at 70-80 and your chlorine just above the target. That will help keep you square.

Interesting on the higher cya. How did you come to that ? Trail and error?

--------------

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.