PB Costs, Warranty Coverage on Hayward SWCG

Jonathan_B

Aug 29, 2019
Benton, Arkansas
I've picked a pool builder, pool size, etc. (I think I have at least). I realize builders have to make a living, but some prices just seem outlandish when comparing online pricing. However, they mentioned that some manufacturers (Hayward for instance) are sending some products to pool "brick and mortar" stores and builders, while they are sending lesser quality items to online retailers.

I contacted Hayward and received this email reply: "Any Hayward model number that starts with W3 is for on-line pool companies and only carries a 1 year parts replacement warranty, even if it is professionally installed."

This doesn't answer the question as to quality (but maybe seems to?). However, here is my dilemma. They want to charge me $2395 for Hayward Aqua Plus, when it looks like that's about $1,000 over online retailers. In addition, an installation fee of $600.

It seems this way with pumps as well, although they did show me some discounted rates for their pumps that aligned more closely with online pricing.

What are your suggestions? Put in the system and then add the Aqua Plus later on my own? The PB really likes Hayward products, but I think would be willing to use other, but not sure of the kind of pricing or warranty help they'd be if I "go against the flow."

Thoughts and advise are appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Pool builder/store prices are typically 2X online prices. Your PB is being greedy with the $600 installation fee unless it includes salt and other start up services. Installing the SWG is little extra effort when installing all the pool equipment.

Installing the SWG later is pretty straightforward. Especially if you have the plumber give you a straight run where you will cut in the SWG.

Are you getting Hayward automation? We recommend the automation, VS pump, and SWG be from the same manufacturer. However another manufacturer SWG will work fine.

Do you have a spa connected to your pool?

Thanks for the reply. No, there will be no spa. I will be pricing automation. From a podcast I listened to the other day, which was an interview with Hayward rep, it sounded like the Omni VS pumps were not much more than their other VS pumps. If that is the case, I will probably go with it since my electric company is doing a decent rebate, and the PB was "including" a Hayward color logic light. If I go with the Omni, is there a different Hayward salt system I should look at, as it seems like I would be doubling up on some of the capabilities between the Omni pump and the Aqua Plus unit. Or am I missing something there?

Where do you think you are doubling up on some of the capabilities between the Omni pump and the Aqua Plus unit?

It's my understanding - which could be WAY OFF - the Aqua Plus acts as a sub-panel for controlling up to 4 relays (depending on model), pump, heater, chlorination, etc on timers. Doesn't the Omni line of pumps also come with the same functionality? From their website:
  • Controls a full range of equipment, including pumps, heaters, lighting, sanitization, water features and more (connect up to three Smart Relays for total control)
I realize the Omni is wireless, internet available, etc. So, it seems like there would be a SWCG cell that could be controlled by the Omni and therefore be far less expensive than getting the Aqua Plus control unit plus cell.

I'm probably over simplifying all of this. I'm trying to learn on Hayward's website (and others as well), but it seems like the "start here to understand what's going on when you have no clue" video series is missing. :)

I'm also not necessarily opposed to going Pentair or other system, if it's highly recommended. Just every single pool builder that I have spoken to go Hayward unless you specifically request something else and then they complain about warranty coverage, amount of time I'll be without a pump if something goes wrong (they can replace Hayward stuff in a day or two because Hayward will authorize warranty replacement using on-hand stock).

Let''s start by talking pumps. The Hayward website says the VS Omni™ Variable-Speed Pumps with Smart Pool Control is for adding smart control to existing pools and spas. That is not your situation. You want to look at the Tristar VS pumps.

Now for automation controllers. You choices are OmniLogic, ProLogic or AquaPlus. AquaPlus is a basic automation system that includes a load center for your circuit breakers, relays to control equipment and lights, and power supply and controls for a SWG cell. The AquaPlus comes with 4 relays or 8 relays.

The AquaPlus comes with a T-15 SWG cell.

So if you want to go Hayward equipment you can get the AquaPlus with the T-15 SWG cell and a Tristar VS pump.

All PBs have different ways of thinking of course, but mine charged $1500 for the upgrade to salt. Basically just his cost of the SWG. They were already onsite cutting in several hundred feet of pipe so there were no extra labor/material costs involved. Whether he filled me with chlorine or salt was also a wash, so no charges for the balancing either way. I guess he made enough profit from the rest of it to give me a break on the upgrade. I could have gotten my own SWG for half the $1500, but would have lost the savings on the salt and retrofit. Plus my time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.