Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,

I have a pool under construction and I have a question about the pool start-up process. My understanding is that it involves:
  • Unplug the skimmer
  • Set the water leveler
  • Test the water and add necessary chemicals
  • Setup Intellicenter
The prices I have seen is around $350 for that or $500 when including pole, net and brush. Considering that the pole+net+bush kit can be ordered out of Amazon for about $100, I have the TFPT tests and chemicals doesn't seem expensive for a 14K gallon pool, I'm considering starting it up myself. Am I missing something?

Well kinda... start here:

Some pool builders are required to Start up the pool for you to honor their warranty with the plaster company.. that is usually worth it, especially if it involves acid washes and other chemicals. Most reasonable PB's want to get the pool to a point that they can hand it off to you where its just regular maintenance. Its not to say other PB's will dump all the start up tasks on the owner. A lot of it depends on your pool's construction and what they offer. That's my perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silvio
+1. And most times they need to get it all running because the warranty is on them and not the finish manufacturer until they do. Once they hand you the keys so to speak, you’ll deal with the manufacturer.

Reactions: Silvio
Thank you! I’m an owner-builder so it is not required in my case. It is a good point on the warranty, will check with the plaster company. Beyond that, any reason not to do it myself?

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.