Partial Drain; what is the risk?

I am going to partially drain my pool. CYA is at 113. Its 27,000 gallons. My question is do I close all the valves on the pumps and filters? Turn the pump off, yes of course. What other gotcha's are there as I haven't done this before. My mistake as a new pool owner was leaving my tabs in over the winter when there is little burn off and not checking soon enough. Lesson learned. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

Turn off your filter pump and use a submersible pump to drain the pool.

Where are you located? Update your location in your profile. It matter for how much you are at risk for your pool popping out of the ground.

Update your signature with type of pool - plaster? vinyl liner? fiberglass? It matter for whether draining is advisable.

Read Draining - Further Reading and note that we have a No Drain Water Exchange process that is an alternative to the risks of draining the pool.

Tell us more and put more detail in your signature.

Thank you Allen.
I have updated my signature. The pool is in Arizona. It's not super hot yet. 60 in the am 90 in the pm where I am at. The pool is pebble tech and I am not sure how it was built. There a 20 foot retaining wall on the far size. I am guessing the ground drains quite well. I will also turn off the auto fill of course.

It was fully drained last year in March when we purchased the house.

I don't intend on fully draining it this time.

Thanks

Background: We are two 60+ year olds. Our pool isn't used that often; maybe once a week in summer usually on weekends when kids and grandkids come over. This past winter I left my tabs in and didn't realize the CYA would go up so much without burn off. I will do a partial drain. This is the first pool I have owned and we are here in AZ.

From what I have seen Frog products are not favored here. Understand the reason is that it might not kill everything off. I understand this site is called Trouble Free Pool, and the philosophy is keep it simple. I am retired and trying to manage my own pool so I have the time to pay attention to it, and am looking for advice for a new pool owner.

I realize the cost of the Instant Frog could be put to the cost of chlorine in some form. Maybe the cost balances out if I consider how much Cal Hypo 73 I could buy. One thing I am not clear on, Instant Frog says it lasts for 6 months, but why wouldn't it last longer as long as there is material in it?

So what am I missing about keeping the chlorine at or above 1 and then shocking it a couple times a month, rather than trying to keep it in 3-7 range?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Silver will stain your pool too. In fact, it is pretty much impossible to remove the stains. They will be black.

Up to you. If you use the Frog, plan to substantially change out all the water each year and you may be OK. I would not swim in the pool without the proper FC levels, but I am not you.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.