Paint Question 911

J~Kat

Jul 23, 2021
Los Banos, CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Besides color what else’s does paint due ? Could a pool be stained or dyed ? What’s the going rate to have a pool painted ? How difficult is it to paint yourself ?

Thx in advance for any and all replies

joepaiii

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2013
Allen, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Besides color what else’s does paint due ? Could a pool be stained or dyed ? What’s the going rate to have a pool painted ? How difficult is it to paint yourself ?

Thx in advance for any and all replies
Paint is not a good solution for a plaster pool. It is not difficult to do yourself but it doesn't last that long and you may have to do it much more frequently than plaster - some say every year or two.

I have never heard of staining or dying pool plaster. The whole point of new plaster would be to add additional layer of water proofing or to replace existing waterproofing so staining an existing poor layer of waterproofing would do nothing for you other than change the look.

J~Kat

Jul 23, 2021
Los Banos, CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Paint is not a good solution for a plaster pool. It is not difficult to do yourself but it doesn't last that long and you may have to do it much more frequently than plaster - some say every year or two.

I have never heard of staining or dying pool plaster. The whole point of new plaster would be to add additional layer of water proofing or to replace existing waterproofing so staining an existing poor layer of waterproofing would do nothing for you other than change the look.
I’m new to this but “Plaster” as in the same as a house is plastered ?

Bperry

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
Knoxville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Would there be water seepage if the paint peeled off all the way down to the shotcrette ? A large amount of peel that is
Yes. If you have a shotcrete pool, the plaster layer that you see is what keeps it waterproof. If that layer (or paint if it was used instead) would leak if there os any that peeled off.

J~Kat

Jul 23, 2021
Los Banos, CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Yes. If you have a shotcrete pool, the plaster layer that you see is what keeps it waterproof. If that layer (or paint if it was used instead) would leak if there os any that peeled off.
Okay I know shotcrete cause I drive a concrete mixer an have done shotcrete jobs but never seen the finish work. How do I tell if it’s plaster over shotcrete ? It’s visible that there’s paint on there.

Bperry

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
Knoxville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Okay I know shotcrete cause I drive a concrete mixer an have done shotcrete jobs but never seen the finish work. How do I tell if it’s plaster over shotcrete ? It’s visible that there’s paint on there.
I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of someone painting directly over shotcrete but I suppose it’s possible. More than likely it’s been plastered and then someone later came along and painted it (if there really is paint on it).

The plaster should be pretty smooth and could look like paint. Got a picture? Your profile says it’s a plaster finish.

I’ve also seen a few people had fiberglass over the gunite but I’m not sure how common that is either.