Oxygen pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to TFP!

Unfortunately we don't support the use of peroxide in a pool unless it is also used with biguanide. Peroxide provides oxidation of bather waste but does not sanitize the water unless used in such concentrations to create a very unpleasant swimming environment. When used in conjunction with biguanide it can provide safe and sanitary water, though at a considerable cost and effort versus an equally sanitary chlorine pool.

If I may ask, why did you go with a system such as this? Were you unhappy with your previous salt pool? Did you inherit the system with a home purchase?

Thank you for your response. We moved and put a new 18x36 inground pool in March 2019. It was highly recommended by our pool builder to go with the oxygen pool system and UV light but we have not been able to get a consistent peroxide reading. The water stays clear, we do add the oxygen pool shock and perfect weekly once a week.
We did not have any dislikes about our prior salt system and have been debating switching over to salt. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

So the pool guy sold you a product that I'm sure he gets a giant kick back on. I would ditch it sooner than later and convert back to a saltwater pool. Although I'm not sure if that would require a full water replacement or not as I'm not familiar with what the oxygen system really entails.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
This unfortunately sounds like a lot of hocus pocus your pool builder sold you.

Hi, I am new to the oxygen pool system. My prior pool was a salt system. Wondering if anyone has one and if it’s common to not get a peroxide reading during water testing ?

Thanks
I took water to work with me and 8 hours later stopped at pool store no peroxide was in results but when i got home and tested it was present. Not sure why it didnt come up at pool store

Last edited:
Love my oxygen pool perfectly clear water
Do u have bubbles coming out of return?

Yes we do have bubbles out of two returns and our pool water stays clear. We add formula 0 weekly. Our peroxide very rarely shows up on test strip and never at the store. Our ph does run high so we usually add ph down weekly as well.

What type system do you have ? We have a “oxygen pool system” maybe it’s the water temp? It seems when the water is cooler we get a reading. We live in NC so cooler water is rare in the summer.

OK, so let's be clear about a few things here first.

First, the EPA only recognizes three (3) chemical methods for sanitizing a swimming pool - chlorine, bromine, or biguanide/peroxide. That's it. The reason being is that those chemicals are the only ones that can provide enough of a sanitizing residual to effectively kill pathogens and limit disease transmission. Nothing else is capable of doing that. Now, it is also true that EPA regulations ONLY apply to commercial pools; as a residential homeowner you are free to "sanitize" your pool however you want. If you want to do psychic dances around your pool and wave power-crystals over the water to dispel "evil spirits", that's entirely your choice.

Now, as to the Oxygen Pools stuff - I have reviewed what little technical information they have on their website, which is intentionally vague so as to make everyone believe that they have something special, and their product is nothing more than an ozone generator. The chemicals they have you add to the water are either percarbonate and/or perborate solids (these are borates and carbonates that have peroxide adducts) along with clarifiers and other chemicals. Any liquid products you are adding is basically nothing more than pH-stabilized peroxide that one would find used in a baquacil pool. They also utilize UV light in conjunction with peroxide to create higher levels of oxidizer.

To be clear again - ozone is not considered an approved sanitizer because, no matter how large a cell you make, pool water will not hold enough of a residual to keep the water sanitary. There is no way to stabilize either ozone or peroxide long enough in an outdoor pool environment to make it a useful sanitizer. It can be used to oxidize bather waste, but bather waste does not cause disease transmission. The only way to have a pool with a sanitizing level of peroxide in it would to be have such a high concentration of peroxide, well over 100ppm, that the water would be uncomfortable to the point of painful to swim in. If the ozone residual level were high enough in a pool to be an effective sanitizer, you would have such a high level that the environment around your pool would violate air quality standards for ozone levels. Again, there's nothing stoping you from creating a pool with massive amounts of peroxide and ozone it, that's entirely up to you.

Now, the Oxygen Pools people like to tout on their website how their product is "Registered with the EPA" and "Registered with FIFRA" and "UL Approved"....that is all bogus marketing hype! I can create a product that lets me add methane to my pool and then register that device with the EPA telling them that I've built a pool water methanator and I can claim under FIFRA that my product will kill certain bacteria and should be registered as a "biocidal agent" and then I can have my device looked at by Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) to have them confirm that I've built an electronic device that complies with their safety standards. But none of that is proof that my fictitious methanator device will keep your pool sanitary. However, the minute I claim that my device is a pool sanitizer, I would be in violation of federal law and I would have to either PROVE that my device is a pool sanitizer OR I would have to make a disclaimer in very fine legalese print that my device is actually NOT a sanitizer and a pool owner must use an approved sanitizer, such as chlorine, to ensure a protective residual. You see how sneaky that can be?

So, bottom line is this - TFP makes no claims regarding your oxygen pool. If you think your system is not working, that's between you and your pool builder. TFP claims that the only known ways to effectively sanitize a swimming pool is to use one of the EPA's approved chemical methods. TFP claims that chlorine is the best way to keep a pool sanitized. Everything else has problems that makes a pool NOT trouble free.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Contrary to what many believe, TFP does not exist to discuss ALL methods of pool care, but a singular method that has come to be known as Trouble Free Pool care. It involves accurate self testing of your pool water and only adding what the pool needs. We want pool owners to understand that "traditional" methods of pool care as taught by many pool stores are often adding things to your pool that you really don't need. From CYA in stabilized pool products to the UV and ozone in the "lower chlorine" methods we feel you don't want or need them.

TFP does not and will not endorse or promote the use of alternative pool care systems because by all peer reviewed literature they are not a sanitizer. Matt clearly pointed out, there are only 3 EPA-approved disinfection alternatives: Chlorine, Bromine, Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB

While other systems may kill some of the organisms we want eliminated from pool water they do it much too slowly to protect swimmers from person to person transmission of these microorganisms.

So, should you desire to convert to an approved sanitizer, you are welcome to start a new thread to discuss that.

If you want to keep what you have going, you will need to look elsewhere for support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.