DwightB

Feb 25, 2022
Burbank, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I also had difficulty sourcing. I used a couple of apps to do so, here's the final playlist:
EquipmentSupplierCost
Pool lightFlorida Sunseeker$508
Spa lightFlorida Sunseeker$497
Pentair CCP520 filterFB Marketplace (used)$400
Flowvis FV-2Amazon$112
Pentair IntellifloAmazon$1802
Pentair IntellicenterFB Marketplace (NOS)$1081
IntelliChlor IC40FB Marketplace (used)$250
Pentair IntelliValveAZPoolSupplies.com$215/ea
Pentair 200k MasterTempAZPoolSupplies.com$2171
Air Supply Silencer (spa blower)FB Marketplace (NOS)$126

I didn't list the white goods, because they were generally easier to find. There were also way more options in white good suppliers (although, I used 95% CMP).
Thank you.

ShadyPool

Sep 22, 2021
South Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Tiling has started, which I'll be posting an update on once completed. But we've run into an issue.

In some areas, the spa venturi's are closer to inside wall - leaving only ~1/2" between the front of the niche and gunite wall. The venturi niche itself is ~2" long. Even at the shortest length, I would need to add nearly 2" to the gunite wall. Looking for ideas/advise.

Attachments

• Niche good.JPEG
    Niche good.JPEG
    495.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Niche space insufficient.JPEG
    Niche space insufficient.JPEG
    593.4 KB · Views: 27

ShadyPool

Sep 22, 2021
South Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
I didn't take any pictures, but we fixed the spa. TL;DR: Installed metal lathe, and built-up mortar a few inches, then waterproofed again.

Timeline
  • Total = 2d
  • 1 day mortar
  • 1 day waterproof
Technical
  • Started with a string layout giving the minimum increase in wall thickness (the greatest build-up was about 2").
  • I cut-down the spa plumbing and installed the niche's, so we knew the min. final thickness.
  • Since we already waterproofed, we added metal lathe to give the new mortar something to grab. Ramset the lathe into the wall.
  • We then did a scratch coat of mortar.
  • We then began building up the mortar thickness moving from wall-to-wall until we got to the desired thickness on each wall.
  • After dried, we waterproofed. It turned out very nicely, and smoothed in quite well.
Costs
  • Total = $182
  • Metal lathe
  • 1" ramset fasteners w/ washers
  • Rapid-set mortar (up to $18/55lb bag!)
Lessons Learned/Comments
  • Don't make my mistake - double-check your spa plumbing dims after rebar is complete, prior to gunite.

Last edited:

ShadyPool

Sep 22, 2021
South Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Gas feeder was completed mid-March. I stubbed-up the outlet near the equipment pad, and capped the line.
Timeline
  • Total = 1d
Technical
  • I used a common trench for many utilities - my workshop subpanel feeder (2" conduit), pool heater gas feeder (1"), pool plumbing return loop (2"), and stormwater from my gutters (4"). I aimed for 32" depth and 6" wide, which put the important items (electrical and gas) well below 18" (to top of pipe).
  • These utilities can share a common trench, but if you run supply & sewage you must take different precautions.
  • IPS (plastic) pipe used for the majority of the ~75ft run. Heater required 1", and by my calcs I may be ever-so-slightly undersized (gamble).
  • The gas needs to be shut off, and allowed to evacuate, prior to work.
  • Tapped into an existing 1" main, and added a union. Converted to the IPS, and wrapped it in tracer wire. Leak-checked at 10psig for an hour - found a leak at an IPS fitting which had to be replaced. Repeated until no leaking.
  • Taped exposed metal portions with corrosion-preventative tape, inspected, backfilled. Left gas OFF until final heater connections.
Cost
  • Total = $459
  • 1" IPS pipe and fittings = $262
  • NG pipe dope, corrosion tape, tracer wire, and pressure gauge = $36
  • Black Iron fittings to connect to existing line = $161
Lessons Learned/Concerns
  • My pressure gauge leaked at a fitting that wasn't repairable. It took a long time to diagnose this failure, and I lost many hours doing leak-detection. There were no tell-tale signs of the failure. I had to build a replacement leak-tester last-minute.

Attachments

• 2 Tap.JPEG
    2 Tap.JPEG
    677.3 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: PieterS
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread