Owner Builder needs advice--safe to proceed with some pressure drop

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
We started the patio last week and I halted work as I noticed the pressure on the pipes was dropping. No equipment is installed, the pipes are all brought into a manifold with a pressure gauge. We had some pretty large temperature swings, so I thought maybe some of the loss was due to it getting colder. This week the temperature is less dramatic and it looks like I'm seeing about a 1 PSI drop per day. I don't see any moisture at any of the pipes in the pool the skimmer plugs or any of the pipe fitting I can get access to. Here is the data I've taken:

Last week, started at 20PSI. 7PSI drop from Thur to Monday; however, 30 degree drop in temperature
20 PSI / 75? / Thur 12noon
18 PSI / 65? / Fri 8PM
17 PSI / ?? / Sat 5AM
16 PSI / 63 / Sat 2PM
16 PSI / 63 /Sat 4PM
16 PSI / 62 / Sat 7PM
15 PSI / 45 / Sun 8Am
14 PSI / 47 / Sun 2:30PM
14 PSI / 49 / Sun 4:30PM
14 PSI / 48 / Sun 8PM
13 PSI / 47 / Mon 8AM

This week, started at 22PSI Mon, it is sitting just above 20PSI Wed night
22 PSI / 61 / Mon 1:30PM
22 PSI / 60 / Mon 8:15PM
21 PSI / 42 / Tue 8:15AM
21 PSI / 70 / Tue 5PM
20 PSI / 50 / Wed 8AM
20 PSI / 70 / Wed 2:30PM
20 PSI / 66 / Wed 8PM

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
New build and pressure drop sounds like an obstruction of dirt or construction debris in the pipes. The temp is not relevant. Is there no filter?

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
New build and pressure drop sounds like an obstruction of dirt or construction debris in the pipes. The temp is not relevant. Is there no filter?
Can you say more and explain? The pipes aren't holding pressure. They are all capped. I would think any dirt in the pipes would not matter?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Are you running the pump without the filter. I cannot understand how you are currently set up.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Still confusing. If you have no equipment, how are you getting psi?.

Have you capped the lines to do a pressure test?

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Yes, he is in construction phase with all pipes capped to a manifold and a pressure value installed there for testing.

BeachHead

Gold Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
have you tried a different gauge? Re-sealing the threads on the gauge? It sounds like the pipes are pressurized with water, not air? If a gas was used to pressurize the pipes, I think you might see a 1.5 psi drop due to the temperature differential, but I don't think it would be 7 or greater. I'd at least try the simple, mechanical things first, and gauges have been known to leak. I hope it's something that simple..:)

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
have you tried a different gauge? Re-sealing the threads on the gauge? It sounds like the pipes are pressurized with water, not air? If a gas was used to pressurize the pipes, I think you might see a 1.5 psi drop due to the temperature differential, but I don't think it would be 7 or greater. I'd at least try the simple, mechanical things first, and gauges have been known to leak. I hope it's something that simple..:)
Good thought, I was thinking the same and I asked the plumber yesterday to swap the gauge...the one on there looks like it's been run over by a car. I wasn't home when he showed up, but it looks like he took the pressure up to 26 PSI, but did nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Other Threads of Interest