Owner Builder needs advice--safe to proceed with some pressure drop

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
We started the patio last week and I halted work as I noticed the pressure on the pipes was dropping. No equipment is installed, the pipes are all brought into a manifold with a pressure gauge. We had some pretty large temperature swings, so I thought maybe some of the loss was due to it getting colder. This week the temperature is less dramatic and it looks like I'm seeing about a 1 PSI drop per day. I don't see any moisture at any of the pipes in the pool the skimmer plugs or any of the pipe fitting I can get access to. Here is the data I've taken:

Last week, started at 20PSI. 7PSI drop from Thur to Monday; however, 30 degree drop in temperature
20 PSI / 75? / Thur 12noon
18 PSI / 65? / Fri 8PM
17 PSI / ?? / Sat 5AM
16 PSI / 63 / Sat 2PM
16 PSI / 63 /Sat 4PM
16 PSI / 62 / Sat 7PM
15 PSI / 45 / Sun 8Am
14 PSI / 47 / Sun 2:30PM
14 PSI / 49 / Sun 4:30PM
14 PSI / 48 / Sun 8PM
13 PSI / 47 / Mon 8AM

This week, started at 22PSI Mon, it is sitting just above 20PSI Wed night
22 PSI / 61 / Mon 1:30PM
22 PSI / 60 / Mon 8:15PM
21 PSI / 42 / Tue 8:15AM
21 PSI / 70 / Tue 5PM
20 PSI / 50 / Wed 8AM
20 PSI / 70 / Wed 2:30PM
20 PSI / 66 / Wed 8PM

Yes, he is in construction phase with all pipes capped to a manifold and a pressure value installed there for testing.

have you tried a different gauge? Re-sealing the threads on the gauge? It sounds like the pipes are pressurized with water, not air? If a gas was used to pressurize the pipes, I think you might see a 1.5 psi drop due to the temperature differential, but I don't think it would be 7 or greater. I'd at least try the simple, mechanical things first, and gauges have been known to leak. I hope it's something that simple..:)

have you tried a different gauge? Re-sealing the threads on the gauge? It sounds like the pipes are pressurized with water, not air? If a gas was used to pressurize the pipes, I think you might see a 1.5 psi drop due to the temperature differential, but I don't think it would be 7 or greater. I'd at least try the simple, mechanical things first, and gauges have been known to leak. I hope it's something that simple..:)

Good thought, I was thinking the same and I asked the plumber yesterday to swap the gauge...the one on there looks like it's been run over by a car. I wasn't home when he showed up, but it looks like he took the pressure up to 26 PSI, but did nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.