Owner Build NW Las Vegas. ... Quartz installed ... Build completed

We are getting an auto cover. The second photo shows the auto cover box all steeled up. The motor side must be 36” inch beyond the side of the pool. It was most Important for us with 2 grandkids younger than 3 years old. Even teaching them to swim the auto cover will give us peace of mind.

They put your pool pad in the corner where you'll always see it? Not next to the house?

Somehow I missed this thread of yours. That's great you're seeing progress. Delays seem to be the name of the game this summer. It's frustrating!

During landscaping a block wall will be built to "hide" the pool equipment. We didn't want to hear the Glacier Chiller while it's running or the pumps. Although, supposedly, the chiller is as loud as 2 speed pump, from previous experience at our last house with a pool, we didn't want the pool equipment next to the house.

Agreed about not wanting the equipment by the house, or seating areas. It was with our last pool and it was horrible when we were trying to talk over the sound of the equipment. We didn’t have much choice though. Thankfully the part of the house it was by was the nook so it didn’t make too much of a problem inside. Definitely wouldn’t want it by our bedroom though.

Last edited:
They put your pool pad in the corner where you'll always see it? Not next to the house?

On my list of things to do for the next pool - Put the equipment away from the house. Mine is right up next to the house, beside the AC units. Sure it was cheap running gas/electric, but it is noisy. Would rather have it out away from the pool with a fence around it, or build a shed for it. One of those things that I had no experience with and it never crossed my mind.

I will be building a small fence to hide it, and hopefully reduce the noise, but there is not much able to be done about the noise inside the house. I make sure that my schedules keep the pump running at a low speed when bedtime rolls around.

--Jeff

Ours will be next to the A/C, which is next to the garage. None of the bedrooms are on that side so the noise level is acceptable. And that was a huge consideration when we bought this house -- I didn't want the A/C outside the master window. I know how noisy they are!

Well, latest updates, electricians came for the rough electrical. Utilizing the trench the plumbers ran for the gas line right near the electrical panel, the electricians ran conduit to the equipment pad. Placed the Intellicenter and transformers for the lights. Installed the light housings. Ran electrical to the sunken patio area along with the electrical for the sump.

I called the city and they came out and pre-gunite inspection passed. I have gunite lined up for this Thursday, Nov 12. Tile company will do a job site walk this coming Saturday and install the tile next Wednesday, Nov 18. Finally, seeing real progress.

My wife and I like the modern look of cutting 12 x 24" porcelain tile down to 6 x 24" for the water line. We'll use a glass blend tile (2x2, 1x2, 1x1) for the spa spillway and marker tiles (steps, ledge demarcation, benches, etc).

On to decking choices. Any ideas???

epse_i8ps.JPG epse_spa.jpg espe_spa2.jpgepse_spa_ledge.jpg epse_tile_choice.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikilyn
For some reason I was thinking of a mice maze when staring at your rebar. !!! How pool builders figure all that out and know it'll work. . .

Decking - I never really researched any of that. I do know marble is a cool stone but it's also a fragile one - It can crack if it's not laid out right. My best guess is use a light color, if it isn't non-skid then look into coatings, or talk to your PB and get his/her opinion. There may be a local stone that is cheaper. Also if you're going salt water look into how various stones hold up, if you decide on a stone look. The intense sun is going to heat up whatever you use, so go with something you want.

I am leaning towards Artistic Pavers. I have read of owner/builders using those pavers and pleased with the look and how they stand up to the Las Vegas heat and stay cool enough to walk on comfortably. I am still researching options, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds good! I heard good things about artistic pavers, too. We're just going with plane Jane concrete for our deck with a spray overlay. It'll get hot but we'll be wearing sandals or crocs. If worse comes to worse I'll throw out some of those plush bath mats. !!

Today was the day. It was a long time coming... Gunite

The crew got here at 6:30 and began setting up. They started shooting at 7:00. Finished at 3:30. The photos tell the story. I'll start spraying it down in the morning. They said 3 times a day.

We are on the schedule for tile installation, this coming Wednesday. That is only 5 days from now. I don't know but I doubt if I'm supposed to spray the gunite once tile is set. I don't know. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

g_start.jpg g_ledge_wall.jpg g_tan_ledge.jpg g_deep_bench.jpg g_floor.jpg g_spa1.jpg g_spa2.jpg g_pool_done1.jpg g_pool_done2.jpg g_pavilion.jpg

Our pool builder said you can set a sprinkler to water. Another I read used irrigation hoses. If the gunite is wet, it cures slowly, which means fewer cracks. I thought the time to keep it wet is a week. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

@TexasRain I need to confirm dimensions this morning. Its one thing checking measurements standing on the rebar with a string stretched across the form border and quite another when standing on a solid surface. It was supposed to be 15 inches for the tanning ledge. 6' deep end and 3-1/2 feet for the shallow end.

I have a massive amount of trenched areas to get back-filled then I'll need grade the yard. Not sure if I should reach out to the excavation crew, they would have the loader and dump trucks. What do posters think?

Reactions: TexasRain
Its one thing checking measurements standing on the rebar with a string stretched across the form border
Oh I know! mine looks like it will be good from measuring with rebar...I'm just nervous about them getting the steps and shelf depth correct with the gunite! My PB kept putting 12" steps on the plans and I told him I am way too short for that! I want 10" steps, at least for the first couple, with a 14" water depth shelf! :deal:

As for watering your gunite - There are other places on this forum where people bring up that question. I read a few awhile back. One person watered during the day every 2 hours. I guess it depends on how hot your climate is and sun baking the area.

As for all the work around the pool -- Have they done the deck yet? They'll come and smooth the area out for that. I'm sure grading is the last and landscaping, putting in sod where they drove over your lawn. Check with your pool builder just in case. He should have the answers.

We want to contact ours and find out if we can put some raised flower beds near the truck treads going into the back yard. We don't know if a cement truck is headed into the back yard or if they're done with all that. When they did your gunite did they use a big truck and bring it back into your yard?

Someone asked about the gunite watering -- Read this thread:

Tile has been completed, I like the way it looks. What does the TFP forum think? Waterline tile we chose 12" x 24" porcelain, that they cut down the middle for 6" X 24". This will have minimal grout lines. We used a glass tile blend of 2" x 2" and 1" x 1" for the spa and trim tile (seats, stairs, etc).

On to backfilling the trenches, grading then deck installation. Still must decide what we'll do for decking and coping? Any ideas? Cantilever coping would probably be the least expensive. Travertine or Artistic pavers will cost considerably more. For the deck choices, we've researched Kool Deck on line but nothing in person. Theoretically, poured concrete deck would also not cost as much. Pavers for the deck will add extensively to the budget.

Also, I finally received the IntelliPH. Now I have to get back onto the plumbers and electricians schedule to install it onto my equipment pad. I wonder how difficult that would be to install the IntelliPH myself?

Owner/build may save some money, but there is so much project management that comes into play.

tile-pool.jpg tile-pool1.jpg tile_ledge_spa.jpg tile_spa_rbb.jpg tile_closeup-spa-stairs.jpg tile_ledge_spa_stairs.jpg

Last edited:
Love the tile! With your blue blue sky it'll stand right out! I was comparing your pool to our build and on ours all the wood and forms are off the day after gunite was poured. I wonder if it's climate and soil -- Why yours are still on. Just different! (We're watering the backside and all sides of everywhere and it's a chore!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.