Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Owner Build NW Las Vegas, first steps?
Design photos are in post #7
Equipment list post #9

I was so focused on selling my previous home in California, packing up and moving to Las Vegas, that I haven't been contributing very many post/comments lately.

Well, we moved into our new home on June 1st. From picking the model we wanted built to selecting the perfect (pool) lot, to limiting our home builder design options for the house to save budget for a pool, it's been a long haul. We are now in, I hope, our forever home. Now on to creating a backyard oasis.

I found TFP in 2018 after years of being pool $tored at my California home. Knowing that my wife wanted to move closer to the grandkids, I started watching and saved many OB threads in the Las Vegas area figuring I would want to do the same thing when I got here. Well, now that we are here, I have to figure out the first folks to call. We have a large lot, we want a 40 x 25 rectangular pool, spa, wet deck/tanning ledge, automatic pool cover (grandkids), swcg, sunken area with a covered pavilion, maybe a putting green area. So, I need to figure out the following:

Pick a company to design and engineer pool plans.
Get permits from the city and hoa.
Find and obtain estimates from the subs (excavation, steel, plumbing, electrical, gunite, plaster, tile, landscaping, etc)

I have read success stories here on TFP with OB, so I thought I would try an OB myself. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to Nevada!
Which city? LV or NLV?
You point out items I wished we had done, the autocover being one.

I would add a heater/chiller for the ultimate setup.

I've read just a little about heater/chillers but I definitely want to research that, too. I don't want to jump into 90+ degree water.

We built in Las Vegas, up by the 215 beltway as it curves/transitions from north to east.

I've read OB threads but not sure where they got their engineering drawings done at.

There were a couple extensive OB in Vegas last year and the year before. Do a Search in Under Construction. Then PM the members and see what you get.

Well, I got my plans back. My wife and I approve this design. It was about 4 weeks to get the plans back. Thanks to TFP, and reading O/B threads, we are pleased with the results. We are awaiting to finalize the equipment list. Then on to the City permits and HOA for approval. In the meantime, I guess I/we can start the sub bid process.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks @SinCityCJ for the sub list you used. I saw your spa and asked for that within our design, too. I think I'll be using a lot of ideas I've seen here on TFP. Photos are attached.

My rough sketch.
1tfp-RoughSketch.jpg

My side yard
6tfp-sideyard.JPG

3D Renderings
2tfp-pool.JPG 3tfp-equipment.JPG 4tfp-umb.JPG 5tfp-pavilion.JPG

I am going to have to figure out how to upload the pdf of the design and display it as a photo and not has a file.

poolplan-1.JPG

Last edited:
Just got the equipment list with model numbers.

Intellicenter I8Ps PEN521903
Intellichlor IC 60
Bermuda Skimmer 2In Slip Port PEN506361
Dummy Cell for intellichlor PEN520588
Blower 2 Hp 120V Silencer ASF6320141
Clean & Clear Plus 520 Sqft PEN160332
Globrite Light 12V 100 Ft (8 ea) PEN602055
Globrite Light 12 V 150 Ft PEN602056
Gunite Niche Globrite Light PEN620040
Transformer 100W 12V multi-tap (3 ea) PEN619962
Intelliflo Vsf (2 ea) PEN011056
Mastertemp 400 btu PEN460736
Color Vision Gunite Assy PEN580037
3 Jet Manifold Assy 7.25 In WWP210-3420G
Retainer Ring For 210-3700. WWP212-4700
Poly Wall Fitting For 229-Xxxx Thread In (2 ea) WWP215-1190
Poly Gunite Jet Niche WWP425-5030
Power Storm Thrd-in Body Wall Fitting WWP228-6710
Niche, Storm Gunite Jet WWP218-7650

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey @guinness I didn’t end up calling Pentair directly but I did connect with 2 parts houses who verified Pentair doesn’t have a part number for the IC60 combo. Polytech Pool created their own bundle online and I’m currently working with them to potentially get all of my equipment. Price is best I’ve found with free shipping and additional savings for going with the bundle.

Reactions: guinness
Yes, I questioned my designer that the Intellicenter 521903 is bundled with the IC40. I have specifically told him that I/we want the IC60. What I have been told is that they'll get the IC40 return it for a credit then obtain the IC60 paying the difference. As I online price shopped I saw the Polytech Pool website does have the Intellicenter 521903-IC60 bundle, but my designer didn't have that bundle available.

There was a mixup with the engineering drawings. My address was incorrect and I didn't catch it till I was about to submit the plans to the building department. Oh well, I least I caught it before submittal.

Reactions: guinness
Looks like a good start!

Not major - valves and actuators?

Spa jets - I'd recommend bumping against the WWP Installation instructions. The 3 jet manifold will fit the Mini, Poly and Power Storm internals. The manifold doesn't come with any of the pieces and all of jets use 3 different parts - Plaster niches, internals and jet bodies. They all use the 1" thread in adapter and o ring. Looks like you have it all, but I mention it as I missed one part on one order...

Heres the link to Poly Storm diagram:
ttps://waterwayplastics.com/product/poly-storm-thread-in-gunite-jets/

Are you planning on using the pentair Light Control?

Well, yesterday, I submitted the plans to the city. Unfortunately, I didn't have the "main electrical sub-panel calculation" form included. So, the permit was placed on hold until I added it. I am not an electrician so I had to reach out to a couple of electrical contractors to get it filled out for me. I heard back from one this morning and attached completed form to my permit application. The status indicates it is now in review.

@SinCityCJ thanks for the heads up related to the waterway jets and the link. I'll have to make sure the plumbers are aware.

Finally, after it seems forever, I/we have the LV City permit and HOA approval in hand. The excavation crew showed up this morning on time and began the access block wall demo. Due to scheduling, they sent their smaller equipment rather the larger track hoe. They did the layout and began the dig. It's going to take them a while with this equipment. It's here and for my family they couldn't wait.

Layout.jpg first_shovel.jpg second_shovel.jpg

Last edited:
I need POP (Pool owner patience)... The end of excavation day 5. The majority of the pool and sunken area after about 1 foot down has been caliche. They changed to the hammer attachment Friday at 10:00 am. It has been slow going.

Caliche-N_corner1.jpg Caliche_N_corner2.jpg Caliche_N_Corner3.jpg

Last edited:
In about a week, rough plumbing begins. I am not sure exactly what all I need to ask for based upon my equipment list in one of the above posts. With my desire for automation with Intellicenter i8ps, I would think I need to ask for more valves. I think the Intellicenter i8ps comes with 2 pentair valves but I would think I need more.

Any additional insight is welcomed and needed.

Well, plumbing started on Monday, my backyard is all trenched up. They ran into caliche although they only had to go 2 feet down or so. No extra charge so that was cool. They finished rough plumbing work on Monday and said they'd be back after steel.

Steel came on Wednesday and finished on Thursday. Plumbing came back and completed the equipment pad and started on the spa. Unfortunately, the mason flaked out on me and did not pour the 4 x 13 pad. The plumbers brought those prefab concrete pads. I chose not to wait for the poured concrete and delay my project. So the equipment pad is way smaller than what I envisioned and the recommendations from TFP. That equipment is tight but at least the pumps are easily accessible. Oh well... They plumbed all of the equipment and the glacier chiller is ginormous. None of them felt the need to cool down the water. But from stories I've heard in the desert that jumping into pool water the temperature of bath water is not pleasant. Plumbers will be back on Monday.

Electricians are lined up but unfortunately for me, the local pool builder's jobs get higher priority. I won't see electrical till Oct 28th. They are locked in with a deposit, though. Pre-gunite inspection after that.

steel_done.jpg stell_done1.jpg steel_done-plumbing_day2.jpg equipment_pad.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Smalone
If you are not covering your pool in the summer, I would agree the chiller is not needed. Our pool water never gets above 88F. Evaporation really cools it off. But my 'perfect' pool here now would be an autocover (to dramatically reduce evaporation) and a chiller/heater to maintain 85F from March to November.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.