Overwhelmed new pool mama needs steps.

Sarameow

May 28, 2020
Boise, Idaho
Hi! I need some chemical steps. I spoke with HTH and the order they said conflicts with other articles.
1) Our pool finished filling this morning
3) I tested and our alkalinity was very high but pH in normal range
4) I added 4 ounces of Clorox pH down and hour ago and have the filter and aerater on high right now. I will repeat and test ever 2 hours until in range?
5) The gentleman on the phone said the next step would be algaecide but online says that is last? Do it now or at the end? How long do I wait after in either circumstance.
6) I have HTH stain and scale metal out style product... this would be next correct? Put that in and do I then have to wait 24 hours? How long?
7) After 24 hours I shock the pool with a mystery amount of pool shock?
8) then I wait another.... 24 hours? and once it is within 1-4 ppm I add my cholorine floater with .. 1 tablet in it?
9) If I didn't add algaecide before this would be when I add it?
The only other product I have is CLorox chlorine stabilitzer but no idea when or if to use it.
I keep reading an it all sounds different. I need my hand held just a little pretty please!

Ha, you are so funny! There are some questions I feel comfortable in answering, but this first post needs some Ph.D. help. Obviously first step is getting a good test kit....and I know where they can get that!! But we need numbers...right?

Step 1 - Order a quality test kit TF100 or Taylor K2006C
Step 1A - Read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Step 2 - Use Pool Math, add the appropriate amount of CYA (stabilizer) and Liquid Chlorine (Bleach or liquid shock)
Step 3 - Put all of the other potions and notions in the back of the shed and forget about them, only pull out on the advice of this forum

@Sarameow Test Kit info is here Test Kits Compared
You realy do need to read the articles and get a basic understanding of your pools chemistry. Your pool requires a couple of things, and then it is very easy to manage. Maintain pH in range, Establish an adequate level of CYA, and maintain a chlorine level appropriate for your CYA. Once that is established, all you have to do is maintain chlorine level and pH (if required, your fill water may not require you to adjust pH) and that's as simple as adding a couple of cups of bleach to the pool daily.

Welcome! :wave:

High Alkalinity is the last thing you worry about. Save it for when everything else is balanced and you're bored. High TA doesn't cause algae, doesn't cause cloudiness, doesn't irritate skin. It makes pH rise faster than with normal TA levels. That's it. So if the pH is in range, you're done with both pH and TA already.

Read the label on that stabilizer. If it's 98-100% Cyanuric Acid, it's the right stuff. Assuming your pool is filled 3½ feet deep and is 18 feet diameter, it holds about 6700 gallons. So to add 40 ppm CYA takes 2¼ lbs of that stabilizer. Correct me if I'm wrong about the size before you go adding it. You add it by pouring it in a sock and tying it shut and putting it in the skimmer or hanging in front of the return, thus.

Then you add some chlorine. Read the label on your mystery shock. Tell us what it says. Then we can tell you if it's something you can use or if you need to go off in search of additive-free bleach.

The algaecide is probably useless, but it might be good for closing if you leave the pool up all winter. The scale and stain stuff isn't needed unless your pool is already turning colors from dissolved metals. I think you would have mentioned that.

The chemicals you need and how to add are here https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/recommended-pool-chemicals/

How much to add is here PoolMath There is a newer app for that as well. The link is on that page.

By the way

If pH is between 7.2 and 8
You can see all the waya to the bottom
You have adequate FC ( For you that's 2 or 3 today, it will go up as the CYA dissolves)

It's safe to get in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thats what your Chlorox Stabilizer is for, to raise your CYA levels. CYA acts as a shield against the sunlight to protect your chlorine levels. Depending on your CYA levels, thats what determines how much chlorine you need to be keeping in your pools. Thus, you need a test kit.

Also, we don't trust pool store water tests. Frequently th person performing the tests doesn't know how to do them or read them properly, and doesn't give the proper recommendations based off the readings they do get.

Lol. It looked high to me on the strips (but they suck!) I also texted them in and HTH came back saying it was very high as well. I already added some pH down so can't remove that. I can't get a better test kit locally today but do have one coming (June 3- just not wanting to wait for that!). I will run out an take a quick dip test and see if I can figure out how to post pics to see if I need to lower it more or move on to next steps or what. THank you all! I reallllly want this swimable by.. Sunday? Is that possible?

Ok.. good to know. I am not going into any stores right now so that isn't an option anyhow! I ran out and did a new dip test. This is where I am at this exact moment.

Attachments

• 100982427_551847939094723_5144345650569150464_n.jpg
    100982427_551847939094723_5144345650569150464_n.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 101029077_180649669946984_2364521973398110208_n.jpg
    101029077_180649669946984_2364521973398110208_n.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 100831368_695414161027573_5890066446918090752_n.jpg
    100831368_695414161027573_5890066446918090752_n.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 22
Sure, Sunday is possible. Your local walmart should have a pH / Cl- test kit (dropper) that's better than test strips. You can take a sample to the pool store while your waiting, just remember pool store tests are a stopgap, and treated with a caution.

For a brand new pool, you probably don'y have a significant amount of dissolved metals to worry about, unless your fill water is coming from a well with a lot of dissolved iron (usually). So the metal potion is not needed. The algicide won't be needed till winter (if you leave your pool full over winter). The liquid chlorine does what the algicide is advertised as doing, keep your pool sanitary.

Ok I looked at my labels. The pool stabilizer it 100 percent CYA. My chlorine tabs are clorox and have trichloro- s triazinetrione in them. Pool shock is HTH and has Calcium hypochlorite. If I wanted to use the algaecide and metal out is there a reason I couldn't or shouldn't? If I can I am just truly confused on the order of operations. I don't see a clear article on it perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. Does anyone have better eye on that test strip than I do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.