Oversizing a new SWG system

Backinsac1

Jun 14, 2019
Sacramento, California
Hi, I would like to convert my current chlorine pool to a SWG system.

The capacity of the pool is about 18,000 gallons (maximum, it might be a bit lower). I have been using chlorine since we moved into the house 10 years ago.

After some research, I think a Pureline system from Inyopools might be best for me. I noticed that they have a 40,000 gallons system (PL7700) and a 60,000 gallons system (PL7703). The price difference between the two is $100 ($649 for the PL7700 and $749 for the PL7703). The replacement cell for the PL7700 is $399 and the replacement cell for the PL7703 is $449.

I understand that I should oversize the SWG system 1.5 to 2 times so the pump won't have to run too long and I could extend the life of the salt cell. If I go with the PL7700, I will oversize my system by 2.2 times. If I opt for the PL7703, I will oversize the system by 3.3 times.

Would there be any problems or issues if I purchase the larger capacity PL7703 system. This would ensure that the pump doesn't run very long and would increase my salt cell life greatly. Or would this be overkill and cause problems/issues. Or am I overthinking all this and just go with the PL7700 and be happy with that?

As a side note, should I be concerned about the availability of replacement cells for this system in 3-7 years? Do you think Pureline will still be around then?

All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
No problem going bigger. I think Marty has a 40k or 60k cell on a 6k pool lol.

No idea about the longevity of that brand. But INYO seems like a good company.

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marrietta Ga
Related question. is it the cell that determines the output? If you bought a 40K system from inyo could you make it a 60K buy replacing the cell?
I guess my question is does the control unit just supply a set voltage?

Backinsac1

Jun 14, 2019
Sacramento, California
I just emailed Inyo about using a higher capacity salt cell with a lower capacity controller box. I'll let you know what they say when I get their reply.

I did notice in their literature that the control unit does let you specify the salt cell (similar to the Hayward unit).

Reactions: markayash

homegameroom

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2015
Sunrise,FL
I have the Inyo 60,000 SWG for my ~10,000 gallon pool/spa combo. I've had zero issues with it (I've only had it for 6 months) and i love it. I have it running at about 15-20% for about 4 hours a day - so I hope it will last forever!!! :)

There is a selection on the menu for which cell you are using, so I would assume you can change to a larger or smaller unit AS LONG AS the sizes are all the same.

Reactions: markayash

Backinsac1

Jun 14, 2019
Sacramento, California
Hi, just to follow up:

I order a 60K system (PL7703) Pureline system from Inyopools last Friday. Delivery should be next Monday.

Currently my water is at:

FC - 4.5
CC - 0.5
PH - 7.8
TA - 150
CH - 160 (wife added water from the water softener to the pool)
CYA - 45

I will add liquid chlorine as necessary to keep chlorine levels at 4-7 ppm until the SWG is online.
I will add acid to lower PH accordingly.
I may try to lower TA a bit. Do you think it is necessary right now or wait until the SWG is online?
Should I increase CH right now or wait until the SWG is online?

I am currently testing weekly with the TF-100 test kit.
I ordered 15 bags of Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft Water Softener Salt Pellets, 40 Lb. that I need to pickup from Walmart (at $4.94/bag). I can return any bags that I don't use.
I ordered a tube of AquaChek 561140A Salt Water Swimming Pool Test Strips - White from Amazon that should arrive in a couple of days.

After the salt test strips arrive, I will check the pool's current salt level.
I will double check the pool capacity (I think it is 18,000 gallons, but I will recalculate to be more accurate).
After checking the pool's current salt level and confirming the capacity, I will better know how much salt I need to add when the SWG arrives.

I will probably work on installing the SWG the better part of next week (after work).

Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated.

Thanks.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
You can give the salt test strips a try. Though you will find a Taylor K1766 salinity test kit is better.

At your high TA your CH is fine. If you drop your TA below 100 raise your CH.

Pflugerpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
I come from a water quality background so I understand that test strips are usually good for nothing more than a poor approximation of any parameter, but I've been using the AquaChek salt strips made by Hach and I have to say I'm happy with them so far.

They're not a colorimetric method, so you don't have to squint at a chart and figure out if the color is Teal blue or Aquamarine. They have a little indicator stripe up the center, and when you read it, you just take that number and correlate it to a chart on the bottle for that lot and it gives you a salt level.

Reading them is not time-sensitive either - I've compared the reading on strips hours and days after I've used them, and once the test is complete, the reading is stable. They've have been 100% consistent from test to test and from lot to lot. And they agree with the level reported by the SWG controller.

dradam

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2013
maryland
I have a 19k gallon pool and use an IC40 SWCG. pentair- even though I oversized I still wish I had gone bigger. SWCG would likely run less and last longer and bring up FC more quickly.

Backinsac1

Jun 14, 2019
Sacramento, California
After carefully recalculating the pool volume, I've come to the conclusion that it is about 22K gallons and not the initial 18K gallons I estimated earlier. I'm glad I ordered the larger 60K capacity SWG.

Also, I will try the salt strips since they are already ordered. If the salt test strips don't work for me, I can order the Taylor K1766 kit later.