Overflow through Skimmer Cover Hole

pmsmith2032

Jan 11, 2011
Northern Illinois
In past years our pool has often overflowed through the skimmer cover hole when we get a lot of rain. I believe this is adversely affecting our lansdscaping due to the high chlorine levels. Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I can't seem to visualize any way to capture water escaping from the lid (hole), but perhaps a pic or two of your set-up might help. I suspect some sort of water-capturing method down below may be an option to help channel pool water in a way that works best for you and your landscaping. But a photo or two may help.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
C,

I doubt that the amount of chlorine will have much effect on your landscape..

But assuming it does, then your only option would be to run the overflow to a better area, or maybe dig a sump pit, with gravel in the bottom, so that the water is released deeper into the ground.

Thanks,

Jim R.

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I put down patio blocks in the area around my skimmer. It gave me a nice place to stand when I needed to work on the pool and it deflected the overflow from the skimmer in hard rains.

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Not understanding something here. If the skimmer cover overflowed then the whole pool level has to be there and overflowing at the same time.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Not enough chlorine in your pool to affect plants, anyway. In fact, because it hasn't mixed in completely with the pool water, the "overflow" is likely 90% rainwater.

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Not understanding something here. If the skimmer cover overflowed then the whole pool level has to be there and overflowing at the same time.
The skimmer lid is lower than the top of an above ground pool, not level with the deck like an in-ground pool. It would have to be a phenomenal amount of rain to flow over the top of an AGP!

mariane

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Or if you leave the hose on over night and wake up in the morning when you only wanted to "top off" the pool. LOL Of course I know from experience. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.