Over the top returns

Aug 16, 2020
Olympia Washington
I'm thinking about running a new return by the steps in my 15'x30' above ground oval. The existing Pentair Light/Return Combo doesn't appear to be giving me the flow and circulation I'm looking for unless I run my 1-1/2hp Hayward two speed pump on high. Even then I'm suspecting some leakage between the liner and the inside of the aluminum wall (perhaps because I didn't cutting back the foam backing around the hole). In any case, the current return location is very close to the skimmer while the steps are located at the other end of the pool.

Instead of cutting through the aluminum wall and risking ruining my liner (it's a hanging liner so not so easy to get out of the way), I was thinking of simply running the return piping up through the adjacent paver deck and over the top of the pool near the step rail, then down into the pool using rigid PVC pipe (transitioning from 1-1/2" to 3/4" just before coming up through the deck). This way I can have multiple discharges (e.g. on at the top and one at the bottom of the pool) via the same return line.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I did this (sort of) on a Radiant Metric 27' round that's 30" inground. I wanted a fountain or waterfall on the backside, so I simply ran 2" PVC around to the back underground and brought it up the side. Necked it down to fit a 3/4" compression coupler and added a fountain I bought online. I figure in the future I can change it into a return or another fountain or waterfall etc. The only thing I'd make sure is you're not creating a trip hazard if it comes up near the deck/step area. I can try to get a picture today at lunch and add it.

After owning a few different pools over the years, I have a collection of pumps, fittings, etc. A couple pools ago, I decided to use an extra pump (0.5 HP cartridge filter/pump combo) on my solar panel heaters and control it through a simple engine block heater timer. Pump turned on at 8am, off at 8pm. Now I wouldn't forget to turn valves every morning and night! Worked great, except that the pool had 1 suction and 1 return and I still wanted the main pump (another 0.5 HP all-in-1 cartridge pump/filter) running the skimmer running 24/7. So the 2 holes in the walls became the suction points and both returns were simply hoses laying over the top rail, zip tied so they didn't fall out. Nothing fancy, but it worked for a few years.

Adnrew

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.