Outdoor Chemical Storage

SplashDownCA

Silver Supporter
Mar 14, 2019
Southern CA
Hello, ?‍♂️, new pool owner here. Project completed Jan 2019. Southern CA, Inland Empire which is very hot and sunny most days in the summer. I would like to store my liquid chlorine and acid outdoor by the pool equipment due to concerns about rusting damage keeping them indoors where temps and shade would be ideal. I was thinking about 22 Gal Suncast deck boxes (1 for CL, 1 for MA, etc). If necessary I can drill a couple extra holes to increase ventilation. My real questions:
1) How many ft apart should the deck boxes be from each other with 1 containing MA and the other CL? Can the boxes be right next to each other or min 2-3 ft away, etc.
2) How far from the actual pool equipment should these deck be so they don’t do any damage to pumps and heater, etc? These deck boxes would be roughly 3+ ft away from the pad.
3) As for shaded and cool, not really an option here May - Sept. if these deck boxes are in direct sunlight for quite a few hours per day - would it be ok?

Thank you for any help with this, I’m a little paranoid about this - I don’t want to start off with our dream pool having an explosion or destroying my pool equipment.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree doing that for the Muriatic Acid. I use a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with lid. It is in full sun. MA does not care. It is about 5 feet from my equipment. No issues.
The chlorine, not so much. Really best to store it in a controlled environment, like the laundry room. It does not corrode or do anything weird to other items. Keeping it cool is really important in maintaining its strength. At elevated temperatures the 10% and greater stuff degrades pretty quickly.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

You may also want to get the Poolmath app.

Thank you for the quick response. I have read quite a bit of the Pool School and ABC’s already and will continue. I saw the degradation with heat and CL but thought things I saw stating to keep CL away from metals also was leading me to keep it outside also. The only storage area inside would be a rather small laundry rm with cabinets directly above the washer/dryer or directly to the side. Not much distance. Maybe I’m being a little too paranoid about the Chlorine. I have a SWCG but I think I will be shutting it down in “offseason” so I will problem always need some liquid chlorine. If I need to “shock” I was thinking I would use Liquid instead of SWG.

The chlorine is not an issue. Most households have a bottle of bleach in their laundry room. Same thing.

You can try outside. Do keep the MA and CL in different boxes, they really do not play nice together. Just keep an eye on if the liquid chlorine is raising your FC as expected. If you keep your inventory to under a weeks worth, you should be OK>

Eventually, you will learn you want a Saltwater Chlorine Generator and your maintenance time will drop like a rock.

Take care.

Reactions: MrXYZ123
Welcome neighbor. Unless you heat your pool during the off-season ($$$$$), your SWG will shut down when the water gets too cold. For me, that was in early November @ 60 degrees. I'm still at about 59 degrees. You won't burn through much chlorine during the off-season, maybe a gallon or so a week. Now that your here, you shouldn't have to shock (SLAM). Just maintain your FC level using the Chlorine/CYA chart. You're lucky you found this site as a new pool owner!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Sorry -- did not catch you do have a SWCG. You will need very little Chlorine. And when you need a bit, the winter, you can leave it in the garage as it is cool and thus does not degrade. This year I used 3 gallons of 10% for the entire winter.

Follow TFP and you will never need to SLAM. 'Shock' is not a process. It is a product, kind of.

Welcome neighbor. Unless you heat your pool during the off-season ($$$$$), your SWG will shut down when the water gets too cold. For me, that was in early November @ 60 degrees. I'm still at about 59 degrees. You won't burn through much chlorine during the off-season, maybe a gallon or so a week. Now that your here, you shouldn't have to shock (SLAM). Just maintain your FC level using the Chlorine/CYA chart. Your lucky you found this site as a new pool owner!

Best of luck!
Welcome neighbor. Unless you heat your pool during the off-season ($$$$$), your SWG will shut down when the water gets too cold. For me, that was in early November @ 60 degrees. I'm still at about 59 degrees. You won't burn through much chlorine during the off-season, maybe a gallon or so a week. Now that your here, you shouldn't have to shock (SLAM). Just maintain your FC level using the Chlorine/CYA chart. Your lucky you found this site as a new pool owner!

Best of luck!
Thanks. I’m in Lake Elsinore. I do plan on maintaining using that chart. Love this site. Have already learned quite a bit - just don’t have confidence in anything I do or the test results I get in my own yet. Look forward to knowing with confidence I am doing it right. Lol.

Sorry -- did not catch you do have a SWCG. You will need very little Chlorine. And when you need a bit, the winter, you can leave it in the garage as it is cool and thus does not degrade. This year I used 3 gallons of 10% for the entire winter.

Follow TFP and you will never need to SLAM. 'Shock' is not a process. It is a product, kind of.
Yes. I think I have changed my mind about the chlorine - laundry room or garage really. I need to get some notes made of my pool, equipment etc and put it in my signature. That appears to be what helps. As for % of chlorine - pool store employee told me 10%., but the crate I have shows 12.5% - it might be helpful if I can get a straight answer from them for calculation purposes.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

If its the stuff that comes in refillable jugs, its most likely Hasa chlorine and its 12.5%. Otherwise, believe the label. Local Home Depot and Lowes carry 10%. Most over the counter laundry bleach will be 6%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should be good until late fall once your SWG is up and running. Now work on that signature and study up in Pool School. Read up on CSI and make sure you can get to the Pool Math page. For PC, I like the old one (PoolMath) Assuming your past your break-in period, keep you CSI between -0.1 and -0.3. You'll thank me in couple years when you see NO waterline scale. Test your fill water and record it. You'll want to know what you're up against in terms of calcium accumulation and pH/TA increases. If ever in doubt...ask away. You'll get solid advice here (not necessarily from me). :laughblue:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.