Outdoor bathtub is all I need...maybe slightly bigger (Buckeye, AZ New Build)....

We were going to put in a sleeve for a handrail but the sales guy said that since we are just doing salted concrete it would be easy to put on in later if we wanted and not very expensive. Now that I've been in and out of the pool a few times I think that boulder next to the stairs is going to get used as a handrail quite a bit. Its in a perfect spot for it.

I dunno dude, I’m not in favor of that plan. First, that hand rail would need to be properly bonded to the pool, so I don’t see how adding that later would be cheap. I would personally go the sleeve route now.
Second, yeah, people will use that boulder as a makeshift handrail, but it could also pose a serious place to get injured if someone slipped on the way in/out.

I don’t mean to rain on your idea, but in today’s sue happy world, you have to C.Y.A at all times!!

I agree with you Rob. We asked about the sleeve when we were designing the pool. I'll talk to the super in the morning and see what he says. The boulder actually has a couple great handholds on it...they are almost perfect. I wonder if adding a handle to that would work?

Jay, I thought about a handle on the boulder too. It would look cool if you could do it.

My main concern is the height of the railing. When standing on the decking, you would need it to be at the proper height so no one is bending over to hold onto something, or crawling out of the pool.

What is the approximate weight and size of that boulder? It would look really cool if the railing started in the decking, then ended in the rock.

If you want ugly, add it later like I did.. See pic below... I would add the handrail now.. You can always remove it and store it until, like me, you find you need it.

full

This specific type of handrail does not require bonding..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Decking 1.pngDecking 2.png
Decking went in yesterday. They did a good job on everything from what I can tell. I'm not actually sure what happens next. Do they come out to do the clean-up to prepare the pool for tile or do they have to do more on the plumbing first?

Adding a handrail is NOT cheap. I got a quote for $1200 to add it after the pool was done. It was the price of the rail ($450) when the pool was being built. Also if you wait you will most likely be limited in choice because it will be very hard if not impossible to add a metal framed one to your bonding grid.

For my pool they did the tile right after the coping was done. I would guess your tile is next. It doesn't really matter if they do that or the plumbing next unless the plumbing goes through the tile. For mine all my plumbing is below the tile line. Looks good!

I was told it would be about $1000 to add a rail later too. The issue when talking to several people about it was how we put the stairs and boulders in. We would want the rail in about the same spot as the boulder. So instead of a rail, a friend of mine is going to design an artistic looking handrail that we are actually going to attach across the boulder. Either that or we thought about putting in small hand holds about bike grip size along the top edge of the boulder. Another guy I talked to that does stone carving told me he could basically grind some smooth handholds into the top of the boulder that would look really cool. I'm not sure what way we are going to go yet. We are in our 40s and getting in and out of the pool isn't a problem yet but I can see where I'd like to have something put in down the road.

I was told it would be about $1000 to add a rail later too. The issue when talking to several people about it was how we put the stairs and boulders in. We would want the rail in about the same spot as the boulder. So instead of a rail, a friend of mine is going to design an artistic looking handrail that we are actually going to attach across the boulder. Either that or we thought about putting in small hand holds about bike grip size along the top edge of the boulder. Another guy I talked to that does stone carving told me he could basically grind some smooth handholds into the top of the boulder that would look really cool. I'm not sure what way we are going to go yet. We are in our 40s and getting in and out of the pool isn't a problem yet but I can see where I'd like to have something put in down the road.

You should watch and "older" person get in and out of a pool with a handrail. My 72 year old mom uses both hands on the rail and inches down into the water. Once in she is fine. My pool doesn't have a rail but I will probably get one this summer just for her. Someone helps her in right now.

It is actually cheaper to buy a core-drilling drill and bit than having the rail mounts drilled so considering that route as well but even so I can't imagine needing the drill for anything else. I really wish I had gotten the rail when the pool was built.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dislike that boulder idea. The older person would have to bend over to grasp that. That's a disaster in the making as older folks balance is not the same anymore and they'll feel very vulnerable. I'm a trauma nurse and see this daily.

I ruptured my achilles and had bilateral knee replacement-believe me when I tell you getting down into the pool was done very gingerly and with both hands on the rail upright. So it isn't just the elderly who need an upright rail, and you *never* know when you may need one yourself.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: PoolGate
Maddie, I agree with you, but maybe I read Jay’ response wrong. I was under the impression that he was going to do a pole at the top as well? :scratch:

I had brought that topic up earlier about bending over, crawling out of the pool. Jay are you doing both?

I can completely appreciate what you are saying Maddie. I am considering doing the bar across the top of the boulder since that is the area next to the steps. I realize now how steep/narrow the steps are in my pool so I'll probably have to do something. It is a huge boulder so I'll either be able to anchor into it or behind it which will hide the base of it a little bit.

You know, I did some thinking about this situation last night, (I know, I need to get a life) and what @PoolGate said in his post earlier, stuck in my head like a song you can’t get out.

I could easily imagine a senior person, or even someone with a sprained ankle needing a firm handrail to assist them with getting in/out of the pool.
As much as I like the idea of having grab spots carved into the stone, I think a railing of some sort will be a better choice.

Jay you said earlier that you know someone that can custom make you a railing. If you could somehow have that railing designed to bolt onto the side of the rock closest to the water, then curve it’s way up and over to the top of the decking, I think that would look really cool.

I talked the guy building the cover for my pool equipment and my firepit for behind the pool and he is going to look at the boulder and see what he can come up with as far as railing goes. He is a very good metalworking artist. I picked up some planters for the corner of the yard that will have gabion posts on each end with a meditation/yoga platform in the middle. My wife really wanted me to add that to the yard.

They did the tile on Saturday and the clean-up yesterday. I can't believe I didn't take a good photo of the tile. It's not very blingy (Sorry Kats) but it has nice colors to go with the boulders and decking. You can kind of see the blue/brown in the picture. Final inspection is this Friday. Then is it pebblesheen and water?

Tile 1.png
Planters 1.png

Reactions: Arizonarob
Oh I like her yoga area! That will be nice when it is done!

Those tiles look good with those rocks. I think it is best to not be too blingy with that so you are good with me! :hug:

Is your equipment hooked up? Make sure that is done before they do the plaster and water!!!

Kim:kim:

They are finished up the plumbing and electrical this week. Pebblesheen goes in Thursday, Acid Wash Friday followed by filling it up. Is there a special start-up procedure I should follow for chemicals? I've been reading pool school and I don't find anything about starting up the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.