Our New Pool Build and The FUN (i.e. Stress) that Goes Along with it!

2nd FC test of the day (made no changes yet) and it's 8.5.
So it's going up still.

We're possibly getting freeze temps so I'd rather keep the pump running as is for now. We supposedly have freeze protection but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm a skeptic. ?‍♀️

Generally speaking, what would be a good program for our VSP pump?
The pool school person set it for 24 hours and recommended that for some reason.
Are there specific factors to bear in mind/help determine the schedule?

I bumped the SWG down to 10% again.

Last edited:
Just run your VSP at a low speed that keeps your SWG running 24/7.

New results today...
pH and chlorine are still my enemy.
Alkalinity also increased.

What should I do? SWG is 10%. I'm about to turn it off for a little bit.... ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191113-151826.png
    Screenshot_20191113-151826.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 17
With the adding of CYA you don't lose much FC this time of year. Turn SWG down to 5%.

TA change is not material. It is within the margin of testing error.

Get used to adding MA. Add your MA dose to reduce pH to 7.6-7.8. That will need to become a regular routine.

Your pH is rinsing about .1 per day. You will need to lower pH every 3 to 4 days. Basically twice a week should be your routine.

If I remember you have high TA in your fill water. If you want you can get more agressive in lowering your pH to 7.2 which will lower your TA. But with high TA fill water it will only be temporary and a constant battle for pH and TA.

Last edited:
Thanks much!
I turned the SWG down to 5% and will add some MA. Hopefully I get this in line soon.. I really want to get things in order before leaving for a trip. ?

I had a test done 5 days after fill was complete, before I had my test kit and TA was 85.

Last edited:
The FC hasn't come down today.. SWG is off.
I'll give it more time to come down. We have it covered with a net cover which may be acting like a bit of a screen from the sun.... Not sure. It also hasn't been super sunny lately.

I'll do more MA tomorrow, to get that pH down some more. It's raining now, so I'll wait.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191114-184220.png
    Screenshot_20191114-184220.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 8
Well, it is 7.8"ish"
I'm not sure it was quite 7.8, but it wasn't quite 8.2, either.
I need to do another test in daylight. Unfortunately I couldn't break away from work at any point today for testing so I had to do it when I got home and it was already dark. ☹️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do my pH testing in the kitchen using the light one the stove hood (60w bulb). I hold a white plate behind the tube to help me get the color match. It works better for me than outside.

Kim:kim:

I actually did similar, but used white paper and we have 40w bulbs. I also had the main light in the kitchen on. ?

Today I did it in daylight and it looked similar... Not quite 7.8, not quite 8.2, so I'm calling it 8.0 and adding some muriatic acid today.

Chlorine is finally coming down. I had the SWG on 5% yesterday, and off for a day and a half or so before that. I bumped it to 10% today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191116-105744.png
    Screenshot_20191116-105744.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 6
You are getting the hang of it. Small adjustments to your SWG % keeping your FC in the 4-6 range and keeping your pH around 7.8 will be fine into the warmer weather.

Reactions: MeowMeow724
:rant:
pH is back up after I added more MA yesterday.. and chlorine is back up to 7 after increasing my SWG from 5% to 10%.

I put it back to 5%.
....actually...off for a bit then to 5%.

Oy.

Last edited:
If 10 gives you a FC rise and 5 gives you a FC drop then the right setting for the moment is in between. Find the number that keeps FC pretty stable. You have 4 settings to experiment with.

Reactions: MeowMeow724
Today's readings still have chlorine high.
I dropped the SWG to 3% as I've had it on 5% for 2 days and it's still high FC.

I'll be adding more MA tonight. I'm supposed to keep pH 7.6 and below according to our PB documentation.. and we have to keep logs for them in the event of a warranty claim so I need to get it to 7.6 and below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-175207.png
    Screenshot_20191119-175207.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 11
TA is 100.

UGH. Ran new tests.
I didn't add MA last night but did add another 40 oz tonight. PoolMath is providing conflicting information.
In the "effects of adding" it tells me that 36 oz of MA will decrease pH by .5 (therefore it'd drop it to 7.7) yet to get to 7.4 it tells me to add 33 oz which is less... That doesn't sound right.

Also unless there was testing error I have .5 combined chlorine. I'm not familiar with what CC is or if that's bad... Do I need to do something to get it back to 0?

I also decreased my SWG to 1% from 3%..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191120-193951.png
    Screenshot_20191120-193951.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.