Our New 21' AGP Pool in Northern Ontario, Canada

Jun 12, 2012
Just finished putting up our pool last week. Water is balanced, SWCG is setup, and the water temperature is fine!

Started by cutting the sod out last year, putting down geotextile road base fabric, and covering with road base. Compacted it and let it settle over the winter. This year, I installed weeping tile around the pool perimeter, run out to a 30 gallon dry well buried 15' away, and 4' down. Our yard has a lot of clay so water tends to hang around in the spring - hoping this helps. After the drain tile, I covered the base with a layer of crusher fines to help with setting the pads, and to give the overall surface a smoother finish - these were compacted and 'wetted' as well.

I borrowed a transit level and set all of my pads. Everything was within 7/8". Had some friends come over and we got the pool up in about 5 hours one evening. Didn't get the liner in and rain prevented us from working into the night. We used 3/4" XPS foam as the base, foam wall pad on the walls, and foam cove around the base. The inside of the pool is very nice, both bottom and sides.

Took about 30 hours filling with a hose. The water was very cold, but within 3 days (with just a couple black tarps on top of the surface) the water was nearly 70 degrees. Plumbed everything with rigid 1.5" PVC and Jandy valves on the skimmer/return lines. We used a 3-way Jandy valve at the return, should we want to add a water feature in the future. There are unions near the skimmer and return, at the SWCG, and between the pump/filter. Had a bit of a leak at the skimmer on the exterior wall, but tightening the screws inside the pool solved that.

We went with the Hayward ProLogic for our electrical distribution/automation/control. It's working very well and really simplified the electrical installation. Everything is bonded, including the water which is bonded by the Permacast plug right at the return. Next year we will be building the deck, and that drove the location of the equipment post/equipment.

We are using the "Generic" Kreepy Krauly from Amazon and it works great, right out of the box. Didn't have to do any modifications, works great as is! We got the Confer 6000X ladder, which will be used with the deck next year. For now, we just built some steps, with a gate, to use with the ladder for the rest of the season.

We still need to determine some way of holding the solar cover when we want to use the pool. It's too big to move for one person, and we are reluctant to use a reel as it would be quite intrusive to the sight lines of our yard. Want to use Solar Saddles but don't want to drill into the pool! Also want to build some sort of equipment/ProLogic cover after we build the deck - not sure what to do there yet either.

Great job, you might want to think about doing this for a living lol
Build a box on the opposite side of your line of site, the reel can be stored in it.

Thanks, it was a lot of work, but I learned almost everything I needed from here. I have about 90 hours into it, of which 40 was towards the base preparation. A solar reel would work great but I don't think it would be feasible for my wife to move it by herself. That's why we considered having 1 side removable to swing out of the way (by someone alone) but then it is right in the way / line of sight.

Great job, everything looks really clean. We currently have a tiny 12x30 which is great for the new baby but eventually we plan on upgrading to the exact setup you have, maybe after a few seasons. Thanks for the detailed post.

Thanks. We had a 12' inflatable ring Intex Easy Set for 2 years in 2011/2012. We had the Intex salt water generator on it and used the pool ALL THE TIME! After we moved, we knew we wanted to put a full size steel-walled pool up and are glad we finally did. Feel free to throw any questions my way and I will do my best to help (with the limited knowledge I have!).

Oh I forgot to txt you back!!! Turned out well. Now to start enjoying it.

No problem and thanks again, everything worked out and I referenced your pictures a number of times!

@nick_wa
I don't see a convenience plug in. Where did you put that?

I have another post to the right of the equipment pad that was strategically placed in preparation for our deck next year. I might add another outlet to the side of the Prologic, depending what type of cover/shelter I build around or over it, and if I want to pull another permit.

Actually I do have a question.:laughblue:I see you used the pink foam for the base, I'm assuming to make it softer to step as well as to add a barrier between the pool and the base.ive seen that material at Home Depot but never used it myself. Will it disintegrate/mold with the moisture? When we installed our 22x48 and now this one I was looking for a type of material I could use to make the bottom of the pool softer on the feet as well as protect the liner and the only thing I saw was some kind of gorilla pad. What made you use the pink foam?

Actually I do have a question.:laughblue:I see you used the pink foam for the base, I'm assuming to make it softer to step as well as to add a barrier between the pool and the base.ive seen that material at Home Depot but never used it myself. Will it disintegrate/mold with the moisture? When we installed our 22x48 and now this one I was looking for a type of material I could use to make the bottom of the pool softer on the feet as well as protect the liner and the only thing I saw was some kind of gorilla pad. What made you use the pink foam?

I used the foam to make sure the bottom would be nice and smooth, no bumps or anything that may inevitably show through the gorilla pad. I didn't like the idea of using sand in case of weeds, or potential for water to wash it away. I used the gorilla pad on top of the foam as well, just for a bit more "smoothness". My wife and I are really happy with how smooth and soft it is on the feet.

As long as you go with XPS (extruded polystyrene) it won't break down or be affected by any water from the ground or that may get underneath. It will also withstand the pressure of your pool water and walking on it no problem. Well worth the premium price IMO.

That is an elegant, virtually flawless installation. Your prep work on the substrate is better, I think, than any I have seen on this site.

Please keep the forum posted as to the viability of that dry well......that is a VERY practical solution to a LOT of AG installs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is an elegant, virtually flawless installation. Your prep work on the substrate is better, I think, than any I have seen on this site.

Please keep the forum posted as to the viability of that dry well......that is a VERY practical solution to a LOT of AG installs.

Thanks for the support! We definetely spent much more time and money than one needs to, but like I keep saying, "do it right, do it once". I've been concerned about the ground moving so I wanted to do whatever I could to try and prevent that.

I used the foam to make sure the bottom would be nice and smooth, no bumps or anything that may inevitably show through the gorilla pad. I didn't like the idea of using sand in case of weeds, or potential for water to wash it away. I used the gorilla pad on top of the foam as well, just for a bit more "smoothness". My wife and I are really happy with how smooth and soft it is on the feet.

As long as you go with XPS (extruded polystyrene) it won't break down or be affected by any water from the ground or that may get underneath. It will also withstand the pressure of your pool water and walking on it no problem. Well worth the premium price IMO.
Excellent. I really liked the idea. So you pretty much sandwiched the pink foam between 2 gorilla pads?

Excellent. I really liked the idea. So you pretty much sandwiched the pink foam between 2 gorilla pads?

The base from start to finish is:

1. Solid earth, sod removed
2. Geotextile road base fabric
3. Granular A foundation base gravel
4. Crusher fines gravel aka crushed limestone
5. 3/4" XPS foam
6. Gorilla pad
7. Pool liner

We have the pump to run (on low) for 8 hours overnight and as of now, I have the T-CELL-15 down to 15% and still measuring FC around 6ppm each night. Not sure if I should turn it up and run pump less, though I do feel like the water is getting a better clean.

The base from start to finish is:

1. Solid earth, sod removed
2. Geotextile road base fabric
3. Granular A foundation base gravel
4. Crusher fines gravel aka crushed limestone
5. 3/4" XPS foam
6. Gorilla pad
7. Pool liner
Old post, but hoping you see this. Is your XPS foam level with the pavers? I was ready to start digging the trench today for our A-frame legs then remembered that I will use XPS foam as well. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.