Our Excavation - Hit Rock

NorCalX

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2011
Brentwood, CA
Moved from here.

I know this is an old topic but I found it useful and figured I would add to it.

I had a hard dig in CA and the surcharge was 1.8k

They got about 3 feet down on day 1 and needed to hit 8+ for my deep end (7 feet deep for design)
Day 2 they brought out the ripper tool (a jackhammer attachment for bobcat) and finished at the end of the day

Attachments

• Dig day 1A.jpg
    Dig day 1A.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 20190415_090508.jpg
    20190415_090508.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Dig day 2.jpg
    Dig day 2.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 183
Did they find any dinosaurs?

On the bright side, when “the big one” hits California, you know your house is built on a solid piece of bedrock so no worries for you....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were told the only way our contract price would increase is if they hit rock. I knew from trying to dig in my yard that it was VERY hard so I was nervous. Builder was telling my horror stories of $25k surcharges. I have had trouble digging 4 inches down so I knew it was rock hard. But no rock at all just SUPER hard ground that the bobcat tore right through. They told me the soil was ideal for a pool.

I think every pool contract has a contingency for excavation into stone or boulders. We were told $2k to $10k extra if they hit anything larger than a football and/or needed a jackhammer for the excavator. PB warned us ahead of time and made sure it was highlighted in the contract. Turns out we were all sand and heavy clay straight down. The only thing they found was two old tree stumps, oh, and a buried electrical line that Blue Stake missed :mad: That was loads of fun when they hit the conduit and tore one of the neutral bars off its mounting in my panel. It hit a hot line and two runs of wiring in my house went hot on both legs. Blew out my garage door openers and fried a UPS I had my work PC hooked up to....yeah, that was loads of fun....

$1800 is a drop in pool build bucket(s) of money....

May want them to remove all the fill dirt on the shelf too...better to have thicker gunite, will prevent cracks in the shell in the future.

That is a large shelf. I would absolutely pay the extra to get the shelf down to the shale. That way the entire pool structure is sitting on similar material. One might argue That the shelf is on undisturbed material However if that is a expansive clay then it can swell and shrink with different moisture content at different times of the year. Especially because the water tends to run along the top of the shale. You have a great base there, I would ensure the entire structure sits on it.. Just my humble opinion..

I live in NH. You know, the Granite State? You can’t dig a garden without hitting rock. The PB know there was ledge and e actly where it would be right from the beginning, so no surprises Just $15k for blasting and rock removal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.