Our dig began today!

Not real happy today. They set equipment on pad today. Apparently they did not have it very well supported, nor was it cured well enough. One corner is broken off, and another spot is caving. Needless to say, I've already talked to the PB and he says they will redo it.

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk

They obviously realized they had messed up on the pad because they left the form on the side with the 2 breaks. Shame of it is there were several of them still working when I got home and nobody mentioned it to me. I discovered it about 15 minutes after they all left.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330052035793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330052035793.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 275
yeah... If that was one of my crews... insert inappropriate language here. and here... and if they didn't inform me of it and i had to hear about it from the homeowner.... Just by the looks of it it was poured pretty crappy too, looks like it goes from about 2 inches on the left side to about 4 at the edge strange angle though.

Re: Re: Our dig began today!

Bones said:
yeah... If that was one of my crews... insert inappropriate language here. and here... and if they didn't inform me of it and i had to hear about it from the homeowner.... Just by the looks of it it was poured pretty crappy too, looks like it goes from about 2 inches on the left side to about 4 at the edge strange angle though.
I'm not happy at all. Several of the crew speak little to no English. Wife says they continually tripped our GFI breakers today while working on concrete forms, lol. She was plenty ready to let me deal with them once I got home.
They have to completely remove, uninstall all the equipment, demo the crappy pad, and do it all over again. Properly this time I hope.
Question: after pouring pad, how long should they wait before setting equipment? And how long should the forms be left on it?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Our pad was pre made and just carried in by hand. It's only about 2" thick though. Seems like a good time saver for the contractor. It must be a code issue or perhaps a type of equipment going on the pad that determins what type of pad you get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The concrete should actually sit for 7 days before putting anything on it but that almost never happpens. A day or two is ok if it's curing correctly.

I think I'd opt for a precast pad as there's no waiting time to sit the equipment on it.

It looks like there was zero prep work under the pad, just made a form and dumped concrete in. I see a little gravel, and it looks as though the ground slopes away on the side with the board.

I don't think I see any advantage to bluegrassman to call his PB by name. He is in the middle of what could be a situation requiring some diplomacy and discretion is always a good thing.

I DO think he has an issue but I DON"T see any reason to call out his PB in a large forum like this....at least until all else has failed.

Question about my water. They have not finished pool, have to trim in skimmers and returns, install lights, etc. So I've had to stop filling to keep level below those areas. I've not run power yet (waiting for heavy equipment work to finish and pad replacement)
So, with the pool at ~ 90% full, no circulation, and catching leaves, is there anything I can/should do for the water for now? I've got a net to try to keep leaves picked out, but we've had high winds the last few days making it a non stop chore.

bobby1017 said:
Lershac said:
Dirt will settle like mad unless it's applied in small lifts and compacted between lifts mechanically....and even then it may settle.

You want that concrete deck (likely the single most expensive part of your build ) to last a long time without settling, separation and cracking, then go with gravel backfill.

Just my .02$

I guess I read here if using dirt you should wait a year before pouring even if you compacted it so it can naturally settle. Under my deck was all 3/4" drain rock, approx 12" to 24" thick.

i compacted every foot or less and put pavers on it immediatley... 6 years and no settlling but the ground was damp and we had alot of rain at the time so that probably helped

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.