Our Christmas Gift ... a New Pool

ajonesaz

Sep 12, 2019
Gilbert AZ
After an extensive 3 month search for pool builders or BYOP in Gilbert, AZ we landed a pool builder in October! Meant to start posting my progress earlier but got busy!

Dig 11/5
Rebar 11/12
Shotcrete 11/27 (followed by 2-3 days of rain - no watering required!)

- 80 perimeter pool 3/4/5, about 10k gallons (not a huge backyard)
- 36" lit sheer decent on back wall
- Zodiac MX8 vac (did not want infloor cleaning, heard too many negative things, but man did pool builders push this)
- Paramount bubbler
- Hayward equipment
- Pebblesheen interior
- Travertine coping deck
- Stacked stone face on back wall

We are going Wednesday to pick tile, travertine and stone. Any feedback or suggestions here would be greatly appreciated :) I worry about hard water stains on back stone wall.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• thumbnail_20191002_130742.jpg
    thumbnail_20191002_130742.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 80
  • thumbnail_20191105_075208.jpg
    thumbnail_20191105_075208.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnail_20191105_163144.jpg
    thumbnail_20191105_163144.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnail_20191112_151605.jpg
    thumbnail_20191112_151605.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 84
  • thumbnail_20191117_105349.jpg
    thumbnail_20191117_105349.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 101
  • thumbnail_20191117_110328 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_20191117_110328 (1).jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 102
  • thumbnail_20191117_110307.jpg
    thumbnail_20191117_110307.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 102
  • thumbnail_20191117_110328.jpg
    thumbnail_20191117_110328.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 102
  • thumbnail_20191127_171333.jpg
    thumbnail_20191127_171333.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Shirker
A,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to learn all about how to take care of your new pool... :shark:

I suggest you take a good read of our Pool School..

Looks like your pool is coming right along, What do you plan to use to sanitize it ?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

How do you propose getting the chlorine into the pool? Pucks=no bueno! Liquid=great, just a commitment of time; Salt Water Chlorine=Winner!

A SWG will provide you with all the chlorine and convenience you need, if properly sized. Which isn't hard to do with your pool, so no sweat!

Maddie :flower:

How do you propose getting the chlorine into the pool? Pucks=no bueno! Liquid=great, just a commitment of time; Salt Water Chlorine=Winner!

A SWG will provide you with all the chlorine and convenience you need, if properly sized. Which isn't hard to do with your pool, so no sweat!

Almost every pool builder advised against the salt system, they said the payoff isn't there? Why is that? How hard is that to add after?

Also completely unrelated to the reply. My pool contract states 4 bar bond beam. I had someone look at the pictures and said they only saw 3 bars on the bond beam. I don't know enough what they are talking about. Would there literally be 4 pieces of rebar on the bond beam. If this wasn't done how much was this worth fighting for. Will that extra piece of rebar make any difference?

Ok..... you have to realize that if this builder also sells chemicals, he's gonna push that method that scores him the most repeat sales.

Salt *most definitely* pays off. In years past a few folks did the math and recognized that the cost of liquid chlorine and a SWG is about the same. Add into that figure the time spent shopping, hauling and applying the liquid chlorine and factor it in mentally. The deal is that when you install (and pay for) a SWG you're buying it all at one time.

THEN... factor in to it the convenience of that SWG. You can leave town and know the pool is being chlorinated. I've covered my pool and left the SWG chugging along for up to 17 days at a time and come home to pristine clear water.

Please read this:How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool

ah... I just glanced at your pics the first time. Now I see your plumbing is pretty much done. So a bit late to have the PB install one, if you chose to. No matter! ENJOY your Xmas pool present and go find some special floats and pool toys for the kids to unwrap on Xmas morning!

Welcome to the club! if you read through the threads here you will find there is a bias against SWG's among PB's in the AZ area... it is odd. You will also find huge support for them among just about every owner. And another thing you'll read is that a lot of people retro fit their pools With SWG's all the time.. Putting in a SWG was the best thing I ever did for my pool. So don't rule it out. I have seen lots of AZ pool owners put in a new pool.. and then add the SWG later........ENJOY your new Christmas toy!!

20191204_155831.jpg

Picked our finishes last night. Travertine deck, stacked stone for the water feature. Paired with Tropics blue pebble sheen.

Anyone else pick colors like this, its so hard to imagine the finished product, Hope we didn't make any mistakes!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I LOVE your picsk! Here is a thread all about plaster colors and such! Hope it helps:

Kim:kim:

Here is your next job:
-put socks or such on the ends of your hoses. Put the hoses at the lowest point in the pool.
-Do NOT and I mean NOT turn off the water once it starts filling!!! It could cause a ring around that pretty new plaster if it does stop.
-Look at the below links on how to care for your new baby:

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Do you have your test kit yet? If not get one ASAP so you can test and share your results with us.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.