Rochester, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I like to test FC & pH every day. PoolMath apps says my target for FC is 3-9 and I like to stay closer to the high end of the range (dirty grandchildren :LOL: using the pool daily) versus the low end.

So, I'm wondering if there is an OTO test that will show between 5-10 ppm so I can stop doing daily FAS-DPD tests. I'll probably do them at least twice per week, but it sure would be nice not to have to buy R0870 & R0871 2 or 3 times each season.

OTO should never be treated as an accurate reading of your FC. It's an extremely rough number that should be treated more as "yep, there's some chlorine in there about where I think it should be" than anything vaguely resembling an actual reading.

So go ahead and do the FAS-DPD tests twice a week, as long as the OTO test shows you something you are comfortable with and the twice a week FAS-DPD testing backs that up, you are fine. Once you get the hang of TFPC it is not vital that you test FC/CC daily. And I think aiming on the high end like you do is always the safest bet. Dirty grandchildren or not ?

Reactions: gonfishin
I always do both at the same time... but in all honesty, after a while, you can make a real good guess of how much Chlorine you have in the pool by the shade of yellow. For me, when it's a dark mustard yellow, I know my pool is either dehydrated (reference to pee) or I'm at or around 7-8ppm. If I want accurancy past that, I just confirm with a FAS-DPD test.

Thanks, JD.

I guess I'm just being a bit of a nervous nelly. This year I haven't had a major algae bloom (knocking on wood I haven't doomed myself!). But I found my way to TFP 2 years ago because I did and that was after 3 years of pool store potions that just didn't keep the pool clean enough. SWG has only been installed for about 2 (maybe 3) weeks and I'm still figuring things out with it.

I guess I'll start backing off on my tests and see how it goes.

gon,

If you follow the TFP pool care process, you should not get algae... ever....

You will love your new SWCG once you get used to it.. Keep in mind that it is much easier to bring high FC down, than it is to bring a low FC up, when using a SWCG.. If you need to come up quickly, use liquid chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

+1 what everyone above said. I also don't test every day.

However, to answer the question, Taylor has some DPD comparators that will do up to 10ppm. None will be very precise though because as you get to the high end the numbers are by 2s or more. One of their blocks will show 7.5 and then 10, another does 8, then 10. And the red is super hard to read/distinguish at higher FC.

The Taylor 2000 series comparator block is what my dad had, it went up to 10 (1, 2, 3, 5, 7.5, 10 ppm) but it was so hard to read. I just gave away that test block because I haven't used it in nearly a decade. The pH side was easier to read than the OTO is though.

Taylor does have a slide comparator and also a mini comparator that will do these numbers: 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 6, 8, 10 ppm.

You can see all the options at the Taylor website, just filter by DPD.

Keep in mind that it is much easier to bring high FC down, than it is to bring a low FC up, when using a SWCG.. If you need to come up quickly, use liquid chlorine.

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. I am keeping LC in stock (stored in basement away from windows) because I know I'll need it at some point to raise FC faster than the SWCG can do it and likely for closing or next spring before the water warms up enough for the SWCG to operate. My aim to stay on the high end. I'm hoping this means I'll never need to SLAM again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.