Order of slam process/adding chemicals

suerou

Jun 25, 2018
Charlton ma
Good morning! Going to start addressing pool water imbalance today. My testing showed the following (using K:

CH = 20
PH = bright color over measurable amount in test
TA = 40
FC = 0
CYA = under 20 (barely cloudy at all)

Lots of work to do. Starting with raising CYA but can I address TA and chlorine at the same time? I have three 121oz bottles of clorox bleach (7.5% i think) then back to using pool shock from ocean state because of bleach availability. Does CYA need to be stablished before I do anything else and for how long should I wait if needed? Thanks so much for any thoughts.

With a high pH and low TA, you are going to have to do a bit of a dance here. I would suggest you add 30 ppm TA worth of baking soda. Let that circulate for 30 minutes or so and then test pH and TA again. If pH still the color you state, assume it is 8.2 and target 7.4 in Poolmath. Add the acid needed . Circulate pool for 30 minutes and test pH again. If at or below 7.4, then move on to adding 20 ppm worth of CYA using the sock method. Then raise your FC to SLAM level (12 ppm for 30 CYA). Test FC and maintain 12 ppm several times per day.

Good morning. Wondering about backwashing with newly added stabilizer. Your recommendations were spot on yesterday! PH is 7.4, TA is 70. I started stabilizer last night via sock method. I am going to add liquid chlorine today but I anticipate the pressure rising in sand filter due to water being so green/dirty. I don't want to lose the work I did on trying to raise CYA. Any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated.

As long as you are adding the CYA via the sock method, you will lose only a tiny fraction by backwashing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.