Orange Spots

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
I just noticed small orange spots all around the pool. They will come up with wire brush scrubbing but not easily like algae. They are spread around, no metal found in the pool. Have not added water in a long time, otherwise, just rain water. Maybe 250-500 gallons about a month ago. Pool is 5 yrs old and have never seen this.

Salt Water Generator pool
Chlorine is > 10ppm.
Water temp:66
PH: 8.4 (need to add acid)

Ideas?

I am about to get in the pool and start scrubbing.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3799.jpg
    IMG_3799.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3800.jpg
    IMG_3800.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 14
Your pH test is invalid when the FC is over 10 PPM and will read inaccurately high.

Do not adjust your pH until you have a valid test with FC below 10 ppm.

Why are you running your FC > 10?

What is your CYA?

Ok on the pH.

Well, I see why FC is over 10. I did a quick test early and stopped counting (I could tell by the color instantly anyway that I had plenty of FC). I just did it again and stopped at 50 drops, 25 ppm and it was not yet fully clear.

Then I went and looked at my chlorinator and it was set to 90%. That is why it is so high. My fault. I replaced the chlorinator about 3-4 weeks ago, after the old one died, had to SLAM the pool and somewhere in there, I failed to check the %. I have not checked the FC in that time due to the last few weeks of my MBA, crazy busy, it got cold outside and the pool has been looking good......

CYA is 50.

I went swimming in the 66 degree water and got most of the spots up with a wire brush but they did not come up easy. Not sure if they are going to return or not since I don't yet know what they were. In most cases there was a concentrated color in the middle.

Start by letting your FC drop. All chemical test results are suspect at that high of a FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.