Opinions Welcomed (Updated)NC PB Quote w/ Design Photos

Stevep2002

Jul 17, 2019
Wilmington, NC
Hello,

I’ve been receiving quotes for 18x36’ Mnt Lake vinyl pool. Below is from a builder we trust, and they are the only ones to actually give us a design (other just spoke construction). Which actually is close to what we want in our yard. Not much detail in regards to equipment (Hayward) but I know that this will need to be itemized on contract. Please look over the quote and let me know if price looks fair. Also let me know of what I may be able to ask for as “throw-ins” or how to get a lower price without sacrificing size and quality.

In addition to the pool we have an additional cost of approximately $7,500 for tree removal and new fence.

Thanks

*Lagoon style vinyl liner pool (18’x36’) with MaxFlo XL variable speed pump, sand filter, salt chlorination, 4 color- changing LED lights and 419sf of concrete decking. Low- profile hidden coping in lieu of c-channel coping. $38,950.00

*Custom vinyl over steps staircase with up to 64sf tanning ledge. $3,950.00

* 4 Single stream or cascade deck jets $1,400.00

Sharkvac XL with caddy, automatic robot cleaner $1,450.00

Total $45,750.00 (includes tax)

*** 12’ waterfall wall additional $5,300

Attachments

• 8C9A6888-BE0E-458D-BD80-8438204FEFFE.jpeg
    8C9A6888-BE0E-458D-BD80-8438204FEFFE.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DEF3B3BD-8889-4DFC-8491-FD82460E024D.jpeg
    DEF3B3BD-8889-4DFC-8491-FD82460E024D.jpeg
    562.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 9826BC2D-CD38-4115-A844-D24FE054C586.jpeg
    9826BC2D-CD38-4115-A844-D24FE054C586.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 126
That design is amazing. Having a builder you can trust to do it well is the most important part. Second guessing how you cloud have done it better/cheaper until the end of time is the common bond that we all share.

Reactions: Stevep2002
I would personally skip on the waterfall thing. That looks like an aeration/pH nightmare. I would at least be sure it was controllable with a valve.

I do like the benches, wish I had those.

Ditto on the waterfall. You'll be battling rising pH all the time IMO. Also, most people feel the deck jets are a waste of money/seldom used once the novelty wears off. I would also consider getting more decking. I hate grass near the pool. It gets in there whenever we have to mow no matter what we do. We are just in the process of getting rid of all the grass in our pool area and having a rubber safety surface done. Last weekend was the excavation and they laid down the crushed stone. In August we should be getting the new surface. Not sure how well it shows in profile pic, but there was grass (well, let's face it - lots of weeds lol) all around the pool with just a small concrete deck. Here is the current progress with the crushed rock laid down: (oops, not letting me load it - will try later).

Attachments

• Pool deck progress.jpg
    Pool deck progress.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Follow up

So I asked the PB of this design for references. I was told they do NOT give out info of their clients as they respect their privacy. Was told they have built 20 pools this year and have averaged 10 in each year prior. This due to the owner/builder finally hiring someone to run the office.

This is confusing to me. Their online reviews are hit/miss, they are members of APSP, Master Pools Guild and state licensed.

Thoughts?

Online reviews being hit or miss is a red flag, but not a deal breaker if you can talk to actual clients. I take it from your last post that maybe you aren't that comfortable with this after all.

Thats a lot of $ to spend if you arent fairly confident in the builder. The other red flag to me is just the sheer # of pools they built. If they build on average of 10 pools a year, does he have proper cash flow to pay the subs?

Ultimately its up to you to decide, but there is no harm in continuing to look at builders if you are not ready or comfortable.

Follow up

So I asked the PB of this design for references. I was told they do NOT give out info of their clients as they respect their privacy. Was told they have built 20 pools this year and have averaged 10 in each year prior. This due to the owner/builder finally hiring someone to run the office.

This is confusing to me. Their online reviews are hit/miss, they are members of APSP, Master Pools Guild and state licensed.

Thoughts?

I find it suspicious thar they have no references. The privacy thing sounds a bit like BS. I personally would have no issues with a company that I was happy with asking if they could use me as a refernce.

It’s possible it’s just a privacy thing. Or he is shady. Ask all your friends/neighbors who have pools. Somebody is bound to know people who have used them. And most people will have no problems telling you their story because they will either be happy to show it of, or to trash the bad experience they had.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 'privacy' thing sounds a little dubious to me. How many people would seriously consider an email asking for a reference of their PB an invasion of their privacy?
On a lighter note, you may want to tell him to brush up on his Pool Studio skills. Your 3rd picture (night shot)...those are either the worlds largest loungers, or an extremely small pool!

Last edited:
Hello,

After spending some time on this site and speaking with many PB in our area, I believe we are ready to sign a contract soon.

Originally we wanted to have vinyl but couldn’t find a licensed builder in our area (vinyl guys aren’t licensed here ??‍♂️). Plus after we upgraded steps, ledges, benches, equipment we discovered fiberglass made more long term sense.

So we have found a fiberglass builder that has worked in our neighborhood which has allowed us to speak with former clients and see their pools. All good! We are just waiting on references for clients outside of our neighborhood.

So, the proposal:
  • San Juan South Beach Model(16’ x 45’) new for 2020
    • 540sf, 18,000 gallons (approx)
    • w/ tanning ledge
    • Blue Lagoon gel coat color
  • Hayward MaxFlo VS 500 (SP23520VSP)
  • Hayward 725sf Swim Clear Cartridge Filter
  • Hayward AquaRite Salt Chlorinator (AQR 15)
  • Hayward ColorLogic LED Lights (x2)
  • Hayward ShakVac XL
  • Skimmer (1)
  • Dual Main Drains
  • Returns (2)
  • Cleaning (vacuum head, pole, hose, leaf net backwash hose)
  • 4’ perimeter cantilevered concerte decking (349 sf)
    • Extra long equipment pad for future expansion
    • Additional decking $7.50/sf (which will be needed) approx. 500sf
  • Electrical needs in addition to Section 4.14
    • Two (2) exterior electrical outlets (attached to exterior garage wall) – no digging needed
    • One (1) wall mounted, exterior light above equipment pad (switch located by equipment)
  • Hayward DeckJet 500 (x6)
  • Hayward Bubbler (nonlighting) (x2) – placed on tanning ledge length wise

The above info is from their contract and some upgrades on my side. The PB also includes all permits, taxes, excavation/removal, 35 ton crane in contract price.

Tree removal (only three small ones need to come down), fence will be my responsibility.

Let me know of anything you see that may need to be upgraded or reduced.

I’ve attached photo of inside of ledge/step area, pool site (see replies below) and video of the new SJ South Beach model (link above)

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
The pool looks good to me. Do they have a budget for fixing your sprinklers, sod and all the other things they tear up putting in the pool?

We met with our pool builder Saturday for our fiberglass install. While I knew we would need to repair the fence, irrigation, and sod the realization hit this weekend. I was hoping to remove just a fence post or 2 but since the crane cane cant lift over the house most of the fence will be removed on one side. He said he will have to re-grade the whole back yard so I wont have any green left.

We met with our pool builder Saturday for our fiberglass install. While I knew we would need to repair the fence, irrigation, and sod the realization hit this weekend. I was hoping to remove just a fence post or 2 but since the crane cane cant lift over the house most of the fence will be removed on one side. He said he will have to re-grade the whole back yard so I wont have any green left.
Luckily for us grading won’t be a major issue. Some dirt/sand will be spread around but most will be hauled away. We will have some new sod to put down, but we have large tree beds with mulch and stone. Plus we don’t use our backyard irrigation.

So I wanted to have a more detailed drawing of our pool project. The possible PB for this model (San Juan Taj Mahal w/ ledge) doesn’t use CAD. So I made this rendering to help everyone.

It is pretty much to scale except for my deck jets ??‍♂️

Thoughts on layout?

Attachments

• B2F6C81A-7783-4C9B-B35A-E43B2BC4EF11.jpeg
    B2F6C81A-7783-4C9B-B35A-E43B2BC4EF11.jpeg
    757.3 KB · Views: 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.