Opinions on upgrading to a deeper, salt water friendly replacement pool!

LuciGo

Aug 24, 2014
Chester, VA
We recently moved and next spring I would like to replace our 21' AGP with something deeper and salt friendly. I need recommendations! We can't go any bigger because the septic tank butts up to the pool. What came with the house has a pool wall that seems to be 51", with aluminum top rails. My husband thinks we should just replace the liner, but I feel like the salt will eat it pretty quickly and we should just go ahead and replace the whole thing.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20190802_092922831_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190802_092922831_HDR.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190802_093039398_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190802_093039398_HDR.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 25
Salt water will not affect the liner life one way or the other. If anything it will accelerate corrosion on any metal parts of the pool structure. If you are going to use a pool with metal parts, then before you convert, you should consider refurbishing those metal parts with a high quality 2 part epoxy paint. Inspect the pool often and repair any corroded spots immediately.

If you are considering replacing the whole thing, then check into the more salt friendly pools where the structural parts and walls are made of non metallic polymers.

You might be surprised with how much salt is already in the pool. Many of the chemicals we add, including chlorine, increases the salt level slightly. Over the years it builds up. If you use pool math, effects of adding, it shows the salt increase. At least mine does but it is set for swg in settings.

Are you having issues with the liner?

If not, add the SWG, test for salt, add salt and enjoy the new pool.
Adding a SWG does not require you to change the liner or get a new pool.
The liner is sagging off of the beading in a couple of places, and is discolored, faded, ugly etc. We already added the salt system to it. We would prefer a deeper, bigger pool, but because we had such a crappy summer here in MO and have barely had any swim time, we don't even know if its worth the money to upgrade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.