Opinions on replace or repair AGP - guidance needed.

Mar 28, 2015
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm hoping some of the highly knowledgeable people here can help me with a course of action. I have a Muskin 33x18x48" AGP with a 7ft deep end and a fully surrounded deck. Last year the sidewall below the skimmer cracked and I repaired it, but alas the repair did not last and the sidewall has cracked further and now the crack is now 1ft from the bottom of the skimmer. I have already partially drained the pool in anticipation of action needed.

I'm getting little support for help from the local stores as they do not want to repair or take a look at it, but will gladly sell me a new larger pool requiring excavation and redoing my deck for the small sum of $12,000 for just the pool and installation. I was able to finally make contact with the installer who likely did the original installation and he would be willing to repair if possible, but would not be willing to install a new pool. The repair and new liner are estimated to cost $2-3K. He also indicated the pool may have a concrete type bottom hence all plates and straps are buried.

I'm not feeling very good about my situation especially since I feel in the long term I'll have no support and eventually I'll need to replace the pool. I'm also disheartened since all the local stores tell me a 18x33x48 is not available and most are 52 or 54 which I know to not be true. So my course of action that I need to take so far is to drain the pool further and pull back liner so the pool repair can be evaluated. I also need to determine if this concrete type bottom is present as it may complicate things.

So here is my ask of you:
1. Should i have repair or just replace? If I replace should I go with something from a local store or install myself with a Sharkline Reprieve from Pool supply world? The local store may be able to do a Lomart 33x18x48 with a Doughboy liner.

2. If I self install can anyone shed light on how to vacuum install an expandable liner. I'm fairly handy, but having never done this I need to learn more. The pool repair man indicated that with the fully surrounded deck a vacuum install would be needed.

3. How does the quality of a Sharkline Reprieve compare with Lomart/Doughboy or other options. I search TFP, but there was not much information.

4. My pool currently has a bottom drain. If I self install a new pool, should I keep or lose the bottom drain?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Jeff, that Crack is very troublesome being one ft down from the skimmer. As you know, the weight of the water puts and extreme amount of pressure on the walls, especially on an oval pool. I'm sorry but you need a new pool and that is why you probably can't get installers to entertain the idea of patching this pool again. I would caution you to not attempt a repair or fill this pool and let your family swim in it. It's to dangerous to even let a dog swim in it.

Shark line pools are great pools and even with the reprieve being at the lower end of the budget when it comes to Sharkline pools, it is way better that what you are dealing with. If you can not get a 48", you can install the pool with the top rail above the deck.

Do you have any pictures you could share?

Thanks for the help Casey. Attached are pics. Ignore the slight green color as we had just gotten back from vacation. I started looking at a 52" which gives more options, but it looks like the Sharkline 52" pools are buttress free. Anyone have experience in installing a buttress free pool with a deep end and expand liner? I would be fine with it being slightly above the deck, but I don't want it almost 6".

Don't worry about safety. No one is swimming nor is the pool filling until a course of action is taken.

20160903_091218.jpg
20170411_180240.jpg

I like my butress free pool. It's an extremely sturdy design. I don't know how your deep end is designed but it might interfere with the pressure plates and cross ties that my pool has under the liner.

I'm slowly on my way to making a decision. I found a local installer and pool company who is willing to not only install a new pool, but keep and repair as necessary the deep end. They've been real good about working with me and providing options for me. I've decided a new pool is the best route because although it cost more, the repair was already going to run $2-3K. At that price on a 20year old pool it was not worth it. The local company is offering me these options:

Sharkline Reprieve 18x33 52" pool
New 2speed pump
72" expandable liner from Swimline
$3300 out the door.

Sharkline Reprieve 18x33 52" pool
New 2speed pump
Custom Tara Liner with J-hook hardware
$4700 out the door.

So my question is, is the custom liner worth it vs the expandable? The installer and pool company indicated the custom liner will provide a better fit. Not that the expandable would be bad, but the custom would better. The custom also would maintain the thickness whereas the expandable would thin especially at almost 7.5 ft deep. We also have the option of custom prints. The prices seem fair based on the the fact that for a similar expandable liner setup from poolsupplyworld would run about $2500. Prices do not include any permits or inspections.

Jeff

I would go custom fit with J-hook. Having even liner thickness and the beaded install seems worth it to me. Make sure to save the paperwork on the custom liner to make replacing it easier in the future if needed. That seems like very reasonable numbers for the pool from a builder does that include install?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.