Opinions on pool size

Marcio Santos

Mar 6, 2021
Long Island
Hi All, I am new to this forum and wanted to hear some opinions on pool size. I am getting a new pool installed this fall on a 1/4 acre property. I am hiring a highly reputable pool company on LI, New York. This is a rectangular vinyl lined pool with 10" concrete walls and 8' deep end. I wanted to post here mainly to hear others opinions on pool size. I originally selected an 18'x40' rectangular pool, but I am considering upgrading to a 20'x40'. Is an 18'x40' and odd size for a pool? looking around in my neighborhood, I don't see too many pools that are 40' in length. One big consideration in changing the width to 20' is that I will be paying extra $$ not just for the larger pool size, but also because I am having vinyl covered staircase into the pool spanning the entire width. Aside from the added expense to build a bigger pool, what are some of the other things to consider when building a larger pool? Does the extra 2' in width really make a noticeable difference ? Is the added maintenance and upkeep considerably more for a pool this size when compared to smaller pools ? Obviously the are many benefits to consider such as more swimming space, more people in the pool, etc. I am curious to hear from others experience what are some of the draw backs from a larger pool besides the added cost to build. any other constructive feedback on this design is greatly appreciated. Design is currently a work in progress.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6032.jpeg
    IMG_6032.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 40
Marcio,
Welcome, from a maintenance point not a big difference at all. If you plan on a auto cover that's where you need to see what the upcharge would be. You also need to look at the pool equipment pad to make sure nothing there is undersized and let us know what you're getting before you sign on the dotted line.

We're also getting a new vinyl pool, similar to yours, with stairs across the pool but 18' x 36'. I think it's a standard size for rectangles. Can't wait to see your build pics!

I would say go with 20' if it we'll fit nicely within your space and won't overly stress your budget (haven't seen anyone here complain about going too big yet), but don't lose sleep if you need to go with 18'. We wanted to go 20' wide but my municipality requires a 40' setback from rear property line, which I still think is ridiculous. So we ended up going 18.5x44. The first 6' of length in the shallow end is the tanning ledge, so the swimmable pool area is actually 18.5x38. We haven't had a chance to use our pool yet as it's still not finished, but looking at it I don't have any concerns at all that it won't be wide enough for us.

Attachments

• 20201122_123704.jpg
    20201122_123704.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201121_125927.jpg
    20201121_125927.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Snoobug
@Dave1096, very nice!
what is the distance from the house to the pool roughly? I can from your picture that there is a pitch to drain water away from the pool (as there should). Let me ask you, does the section of patio adjacent to the house grade away from the house as well? in my design, I have about 18' to 20' between the back of the house and the edge of the pool. I know the pool designer will grade away from the pool, but i am trying to figure out how they are going to pitch away from the house and the pool in the span of 20'. How does the pool/patio construction achieve both and how is it expected for rain water to drain ?

Some other considerations. A 20'x40' average depth of 5' has 30,000 gallons. A 18'x40' average depth of 5' has 27,000 gallons.

10% difference in water volume will use 10% less chemicals and 10% less heating cost forever.

A smaller pool has a smaller on-going operating expense.

@Dave1096, very nice!
what is the distance from the house to the pool roughly? I can from your picture that there is a pitch to drain water away from the pool (as there should). Let me ask you, does the section of patio adjacent to the house grade away from the house as well? in my design, I have about 18' to 20' between the back of the house and the edge of the pool. I know the pool designer will grade away from the pool, but i am trying to figure out how they are going to pitch away from the house and the pool in the span of 20'. How does the pool/patio construction achieve both and how is it expected for rain water to drain ?
It's about 14' from the water's edge to my covered porch. The deck between the pool/house slopes both directions away from the pool and away from the house making a V-shaped grade that meets in the middle where you see the channel drain. The yard is graded on both ends of the channel drain to move water around the pool deck and away from the house. I have a landscaper coming out in a few weeks to put river rock landscape beds on both sides where the channel drain daylights, so hopefully this will minimize any mud.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Extra salt chlorination expense is not worth considering, its so minor. Same with acid needs. Your robot will not bellyache about the extra surface to clean. Heating can be sizable and is proportional to surface area. A cover of some type is key for retaining the heat you pay for, or any heat you get when it’s in short supply.

Don’t worry much about ratios of length to width. Length 2x the width is more common but don’t let that be the guide. Get the biggest that makes sense. 20 x 40 will feel VERY big. Down to 18 x 36 will still feel quite big. With your full length steps taking up some length, I’d suggest either 18 x 40 or 20 x 40.

Adding some details of the equipment I would be getting. Decided on a 20x40 rectangular with approximately 1628 sq ft of patio.
Hayward DE 4820 Filter
Hayward 2' DE multiport - SP0715x62
Hayward 2352 vsp pump
Hayward summit xI140 heat pump
Hayward Aqr940 salt system

I wanted a 20x40 vinyl lined but dang... a fiberglass was cheaper. I'm going with a 15'6" width×40' long 8ft deep fiberglass pool. I dont think I'll cry over the difference unless they jack the price. LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.